SOLVED

Will Edge always identify as Chrome?

Steel Contributor

Various websites often confirm new log-in attempts, including Google services, Ebay, and banking sites.

I was just wondering if Edge, because it is now based on Chromium, will always identify as Chrome?

This seems confusing to me.

Example:

GrahamSTMC_0-1636030363230.png

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Graham-STMC (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Graham-STMC  "I was just wondering if Edge, because it is now based on Chromium, will always identify as Chrome?"

Most likely, although the frequency should lessen over time.   

Every browser has a User Agent ID encoded.  Many websites use the UAID for various reasons (e.g. to block unsupported browsers or conform certain features to the browser being used).

The string for Microsoft Edge is "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.54 Safari/537.36 Edg/95.0.1020.40"

Because Edge is a relatively new browser, not all websites recognize the Edge UAID (Edg/95.0.1020.40), looking for "Edge" (the Edge Classic UAID) rather than "Edg" (the current Edge UAID). 

If the website does not recognize the "Edg" UAID, then the website reverts to "Chrome".   That's why you are seeing what you are seeing.

As more and more websites adapt to recognizing "Edg" going forward, the frequency with which you see Edge identified as "Chome" should lessen.

If the website does not recognize the "Edg" UAID, then the website reverts to "Chrome".   That's why you are seeing what you are seeing.

As more and more websites adapt to recognizing "Edg" going forward, the frequency with which you see Edge identified as "Chome" should lessen.

@tomscharbach I hope so :smile:  Thanks for clarifying.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Graham-STMC (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Graham-STMC  "I was just wondering if Edge, because it is now based on Chromium, will always identify as Chrome?"

Most likely, although the frequency should lessen over time.   

Every browser has a User Agent ID encoded.  Many websites use the UAID for various reasons (e.g. to block unsupported browsers or conform certain features to the browser being used).

The string for Microsoft Edge is "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.54 Safari/537.36 Edg/95.0.1020.40"

Because Edge is a relatively new browser, not all websites recognize the Edge UAID (Edg/95.0.1020.40), looking for "Edge" (the Edge Classic UAID) rather than "Edg" (the current Edge UAID). 

View solution in original post