Will Edge 32bit on ARM automatically update to 64bit when supported?

Iron Contributor

Now that Edge Insider 32bit successfully installs on Windows-on-ARM / Snapdragon devices I am wondering about updates. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 64bit installs will be supported as of Win10 1903 (still not released for ARM it seems). When that time comes, will I have to uninstall the 32bit version and manually install the 64bit version, or will the auto-update process do this? 

4 Replies

@ChromeRefugee 

ARM is still a work in progress so I'm not sure on release dates.

The auto-update just updates the current build it's on.

Whenever you switch from 32bit to 64bit you will have to manually install the 64bit version.

Thanks,

Frank

@V-FRROME wrote:

@ChromeRefugee 

ARM is still a work in progress so I'm not sure on release dates.

The auto-update just updates the current build it's on.

Whenever you switch from 32bit to 64bit you will have to manually install the 64bit version.

Thanks for the response! I just realized that I'm probably just running Edge 32bit in emulation mode, correct? How would a WOA user know when the installer is offering a version specifically compiled for ARM? Do we just keep installing manually and hope for the best, or will it be clearly announced as "now natively compiled for ARM" when the time comes? 

FWIW, V76.0.182.6 dev 32-bit already runs pretty smoothly and quickly on the SD850 (Galaxy Book 2). 

@ChromeRefugee 

Looks like you are running 76.0.182.6 dev 32-bit which is the actual Dev browser itself.

For now, it looks like it's going to be a hit and miss with installations depending on

the processor.

If we natively support it though, it will show up on https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/  

Thanks for your patience,

Frank

@V-FRROME wrote:

@ChromeRefugee 

If we natively support it though, it will show up on https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/  

Thanks Frank. I hope that "if" is meant to say "when"!

At the risk of sounding (being) dense, looking at the downloads page how would we even know that a native ARM compile is available? Right now the page says that Edge is available for "Windows 10", but that doesn't specify whether it's ARM native or not. There are options to be notified for Win8.1, Win8, even Win7 compatible builds, but no option to be notified for a native ARM build. 

So that still seems to leave WOA system owners in the dark. At some point a better install than the current 32bit version will be available, but the user will have no way of knowing. Is there any way for 'us' to become aware of a native ARM build? If not, two requests: 

- on the download page, add an option to be notified about an ARM build, and 

- within Edge, prompt the user once if a better version becomes available for their CPU.