Why the new Edge does not support HEVC or HEIC content from websites ?

Brass Contributor

currently in the new Edge its not possible to play videos in HEVC format, neither watch pictures in HEIC format.

NOTE: I have both extensions (for HEVC and for HEIC) from store already installed but seems the new Edge ignore them.

47 Replies

@Deleted Do you know the latest about HEVC support? I have read elsewhere people getting it to work with playReady experimental flags, but I've had no such luck. Legacy Edge can play HEVC playready streams on my Windows 10 PC, but even the latest 86.0.615.3 is not being detected as supporting h265/hevc...

Still no support for HEVC H265?

Nope, which is sad
i could really use it, but trying on latest version of canary that released today, still nothing
Version 88.0.705.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Does anybody know if there is an update to this topic? Like some experimental Flags, addons or something like this? And are there any plans to bring HEVC support to chromium-based Edge before the end of life of legacy based Edge?

I'm on Version 89.0.774.50 (Official build) (64-bit).
MP4 HEVC files could be played in a browser, trough the HTML5 Video tag.
But not possible to be loaded in MediaSource.
MediaSource still reports "video/mp4; codecs="hvc1"" is not supported.
It it interesting that right now "buffer = mediaSource.addSourceBuffer('video/mp4; codecs="hvc1.1.6.H150.90"');" doesn't throw an exception.
It can even be added a single buffer via "buffer.appendBuffer(frame.data);".
But after that buffer goes to readyStates of: 'open', 'ended', 'closed' and are called events 'updatestart', 'error', 'updateend', 'sourceended' and 'sourceclose'.
Relations between events and readyState are:
'updatestart' : 'open',
'error' : 'ended',
'updateend' : 'ended',
'sourceended' : 'ended',
'sourceclose' : 'closed'

Does anyone have a different experience. It could be something from my implementation, although it is working fine with MP4 AVC files.
Any news here?
About chromium: Is it possible I am using that build with all codecs and it's still not working? (Console showing the same "hvc1 not supported" error)

Codecs build from here:
https://chromium.woolyss.com/#windows
When I modify edge to report that it can play hevc videos, it will work just fine for me. Otherwise it will not. Here is an extension I made, if somebody wants to try it: https://github.com/jlnsrk/h265ify