Why I'm seeing "Administrator Mode Detected Warning" in Chromium Edge

Iron Contributor
Upon launching the new chromium edge I'm recieving a popup saying "Administrator mode detected - Close microsoft edge and relaunch in non-administrator mode for best performance" is there any way to disable this? I re-enabled UAC and made sure I wasnt running it in admin compatbility mode and its still happening.
10 Replies
I get this when a program or UWP app needs to open Edge(I've set Canary Build to my default browser), like one of my benchmarking programs to compare online.
I came to know that it is a security feature of Microsoft Edge Chromium.

For full explanation, you can check this blog post
https://geekermag.com/microsoft-edge-administrator-mode-detected/

do you log in as "Administrator" ? change it 

@vineydhiman   Edge Classic cannot be launched with administrative privileges, period.  Edge Chromium can be launched with administrative privileges, and that is dangerous, despite the warning. 

Edge Chromium typically launches in Administrator mode because another program with administrative privileges (usually an e-mail program) contains a link that launches the browser with inherited privileges from the other program.   The warning is a good thing (Chrome doesn't warn users, which is dangerous), but setting Edge Chromum up like Edge Classic so that it cannot be launched with administrative privileges would be a much, much better solution.

Edge Classic uses a distinct kernel, as I understand it, effectively sandboxing the browser.  That is a basic, but important, security feature.  I assume that making Edge Chromium similarly secure is on the development list.  If it isn't, it should be.

@tomscharbach 

This is an odd one. On my laptop I am an administrator. I never get that pop up. When I was building a laptop and installed Edge DEV and ran is as my Domain admin user I then get the message. 

In both cases the user I am logging in with is a member of the local admin group. Not sure what the difference is.

@vineydhiman 

I would like to know if your are still receiving this issue?

The top workarounds that are used:

• Is lowering your UAC settings to second notch from the bottom
  • Create a Standard Account on your computer and run browsers from there

Some accounts that are limited because of their Domain settings, should have more options when/if enterprise channel is released.

Thanks,

Frank

@vineydhiman I understand why the message pops up, however as I am debugging a website using Visual Studio (attached to IIS) I need the admin mode. Is there any way to disable the warning? It's irritating, although I could just use Chrome as the debugging browser... I'd rather not

@H Diggs 

Are you still receiving the Administrator Error?

You could try the enterprise Dev channel and see if you can change admin policy.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/enterprise

Thanks,

Frank