SOLVED

Why Edge Canary isn't updated Daily/Nightly?

MVP

For years, I've used Chrome Canary and Firefox Nightly, they both receive at least one update every day/night (every 24 hours at least). sometimes 2 times in 1 day.

Chromium source receives multiple updates every day, it's hourly updated.

But I'm not talking about Chromium, I want to know why Microsoft Edge can't receive updates daily/night/every 24 hours, just like Firefox and Google?

currently, Canary channel receives updates roughly every 2-3 days, in weekends there is no updates either.

I've been on Edge canary channel since launch, it's been always like this. I thought after the stable channel is released, this would change, but nope, it's still the same.

on the front page:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

it's written that Canary channel is updated "daily" but in reality it's not happening.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Even if there isn't an automatic update, there may be one manually available. And since the exact release timeline may change due to issues in Chromium, we try not to firmly promise that it will ship daily.

clipboard_image_0.png

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Why do you want daily updates? are you that fan of bugs or unstable features?

@abbodi1406

it should be stable enough for public test, it is a sign of  progress, give a good impression for existing customers and attracts new ones

@abbodi1406 

@abbodi1406 wrote:

Why do you want daily updates? are you that fan of bugs or unstable features?

Canary is not meant to be stable or without Bugs (that's stable channel), whoever thinks otherwise is wrong.

@MarsMas 

@MarsMas wrote:

@abbodi1406

it should be stable enough for public test, it is a sign of  progress, give a good impression for existing customers and attracts new ones

Chrome Canary and Firefox Nightly always receive at least 1 update every 24 hours. they are not meant to attract users. developers explicitly state that they are meant for enthusiasts and they are very unstable and buggy.

right now with Edge, people have different expectations which is bad because we shouldn't expect Canary to be stable, it's the nature of it to be unstable.

more stable channels are Dev and Beta.

Canary should receive updates as soon as the code is ready.

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX Even if there isn't an automatic update, there may be one manually available. And since the exact release timeline may change due to issues in Chromium, we try not to firmly promise that it will ship daily.

clipboard_image_0.png

Fawkes (they/them)

Thanks, well that "almost" in that sentence is everything..

@HotCakeX 

actually people have different expectations which is bad because new stable Ege is much less feature than the old one, beside the long term plan they have for new features.

New fans and customer marketing people can tell you more about this fact

@MarsMas 

that's true, at first it's a bit hard because of lack of features, but few months later, Edge stable should feel a lot better to use :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

clipboard_image_0.png

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post