Why did the Downloads move to the top right from the Bottom?

Iron Contributor

I download a lot of files being a computer tech. I liked having it at the bottom of the screen, or a pop-up like IE, because I have a 32" screen and moving my mouse up to the top right every time to click save as for downloads is very annoying and makes multiple saves cumbersome.

What was this moved? It takes up more real-estate and it is just annoying to change it without giving users the option?

Can they provide a pref to move it back to the bottom please?

18 Replies
I liked the older downloads experience better as well.
This is horrible. I don't want FireFox but Edge with Chromium.
Microsoft should revert this or AT LEAST give us option.
Hello. This change is good, unifies the appearance of what was a remnant and outdated idea that has long since been improved, other browsers have such solutions and therefore are so popular! I support this change!

@A1  This can be good for some of people, but this ruins UX for some of people like me. If Edge developers will insist to keep this change and have no plan to offer any "options", Well I need to find alternative application for web browsing.

I've found the "Pin downloads" button in the download manager while I'm writing this post, and this recovers UX I lost, but it doesn't persist when I close and open it again, and I need to click every time when I need fixed download manager. Furthermore, I can't move this panel to the bottom of the window. 

Chromium Edge is now shipped on every new Windows 10 installations, and Microsoft must consider not to confuse other users when they are using the application.  I want to question to them: Do you people have any plan to improve this UI to embrace people who like previous one?

Perfectly! After this is a discussion to show your problems! Of course - Edge Feedback Center directly to developers - is there a place to give a full opinion or have these doubts been sent there?

@lforbes @KangjunHeo @cheeseleader @A1 

I prefer the current version, with the download button at the top. But I believe that the best thing is that the developers provide an option by which the user can choose between one style or another, because surely there are many people who prefer the new format but also many people who prefer the old format.
How about we all send feedback to the developers by attaching the link to this post to the message, with the image of this post attached as well. They really read it, and if they find that many users are interested they will probably think about it more closely.
To send feedback directly from the Edge press ALT + SHIFT + I

Hi I think that getting the opportunity to choose the old bar at the bottom of the screen - it will not be possible! But only the Edge Team can answer this question! User preferences and preferences are often subjective!
it's been like that for many months.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-the-new-downloads-experience/m-p/2111551

it's a better UX, but there are room for improvements so feel free to submit feedbacks using the feedback button on Edge about it.

press Edge's (...) menu button => Help and feedback => Send feedback

I do beta testing at work, not at home. They just released it on week of April 15th, version 90 for all users.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-release-schedule
90 Released Week of 15-Apr-2021 90.0.818.39

The whole point of Chromium Edge is to replace Internet Explorer and Chrome.
Chrome 90 pops up an explorer window right away and asks you where to save.  In IE it is a popup in the middle of the screen. 

I think they should leave that as an option. I am dealing with hospital workers who run around in hospitals all day. They don't have time to go searching for where Edge moved the downloads this week. We need a consistent experience for business.

I did send feedback but I am not super confident it actually gets read.

Hello! I do not understand why you want to look for the download bar as it is visible in the middle - everything works properly so what's going on if we do not introduce unification's that work in a similar way and have millions of satisfied users. Great Respect for Hospital Staff! Please understand that such changes are necessary
It's not chromium Edge, just Edge.
this is consistent, a change happened and it will stay that way. what makes it inconsistent is some people asking to use the old design while the others want to stay on the new one.
Hello. Yes of course, IT requires the ability to quickly adjust, this is normal! And this change has been tested so it's in a stable channel and it doesn't matter if it's for business or home use. such memories are understandable too, but you have to move forward so I believe.
HotCakeX replied
"It's not chromium Edge, just Edge. This is consistent, a change happened and it will stay that way. what makes it inconsistent is some people asking to use the old design while the others want to stay on the new one."

Edge is an App that runs in the System folder and it still is on about 50% of our Windows Enerprise computers. C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Chromium Edge is software that installs in Program Files and it is a copy of the Chrome browser. It has to be manually installed on OS older than 20H2. So not the same thing at all.

Consistent means that it is consistent with IE and Chrome which is what it is trying to replace.

@lforbes 

@lforbes wrote:
HotCakeX replied
"It's not chromium Edge, just Edge. This is consistent, a change happened and it will stay that way. what makes it inconsistent is some people asking to use the old design while the others want to stay on the new one."

Edge is an App that runs in the System folder and it still is on about 50% of our Windows Enerprise computers. C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Chromium Edge is software that installs in Program Files and it is a copy of the Chrome browser. It has to be manually installed on OS older than 20H2. So not the same thing at all.

Consistent means that it is consistent with IE and Chrome which is what it is trying to replace.

Again that's just what you call it, Microsoft doesn't refer to it as chromium Edge.

it's the new Edge that replaced the old Edge browser, that's it.

if you wanna call it that then call others chromium Vivaldi, chromium Opera, chromium Brave.

which is funny.

also IE isn't even a thing, just for backward compatibility. neither IE nor Chrome should be as an example for other browsers to be consistent with.

@Deleted 

Spoiler

@Deleted wrote:
Hello. Yes of course, IT requires the ability to quickly adjust, this is normal! And this change has been tested so it's in a stable channel and it doesn't matter if it's for business or home use. such memories are understandable too, but you have to move forward so I believe.

Yeah i agree with you

I like it at top right corner

go to the address bar and enter "chrome://flags" then go to the option "Enable download bubble" and "Enable download bubble V2" and change it to disabled, it will solve this issue, you need to restart your chrome to implement the change

I agree, they SHOULD! have an option to change it BUT THEY DON'T! This is going to drive me crazy.