Why all of these HTML5 features are turned off in the last few builds of Edge canary?

MVP
  1. Web Cryptography API
  2. Content Security Policy 1
  3. Audio track selection
  4. Video track selection
  5. ObjectRTC API for WebRTC
  6. Enumerate devices
  7. Screen Capture
  8. Access the webcam
  9. Credential Management

Source?

I compared the current Edge canary Version 83.0.478.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

with the results of a previous version:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/very-impressive-edge-insider-canary-results-in-ht...

Edge now scores 473

gfdgfd.png

http://html5test.com/

I haven't disabled any flags, I'm using the same flags that I have always enabled, there are of course more flags enabled right now than there were before but nothing disabled by me.

the score has been that low in the past 2 weeks, so you can say since the past 5-6 canary builds.

12 Replies
Interestingly, for me the base score (default canary with no flags) is 528, way higher than 473.

I temporary disabled all flags by launching edge with '--no-experiments'

If I leave the flags enabled the score rises to 533.
Canary builds are to test and introduce bugs and experiment the features
and they are not obligated to explain the changes :)

i'm glad it's finally downwarded your expectations

@abbodi1406 

Spoiler

@abbodi1406 wrote:
Canary builds are to test and introduce bugs and experiment the features
and they are not obligated to explain the changes :)

i'm glad it's finally downwarded your expectations

That's only your opinion which is not true. Edge team have been very nice so far answering to users issues.

you're glad what? my expectations are intact don't worry.

@Thraetaona 

Spoiler

@Thraetaona wrote:
Interestingly, for me the base score (default canary with no flags) is 528, way higher than 473.

I temporary disabled all flags by launching edge with '--no-experiments'

If I leave the flags enabled the score rises to 533.

Thank you, running Edge with that switch improved the score and it got back to 528..

not sure what's going on but here's the list of flags I'm using

Spoiler

Focus Mode

If enabled, allows the user to switch to Focus Mode  Mac, Windows

#focus-mode

Reduce default 'referer' header granularity.

If a page hasn't set an explicit referrer policy, setting this flag will reduce the amount of information in the 'referer' header for cross-origin requests.  Mac, Windows

#reduced-referrer-granularity

TLS Post-Quantum Confidentiality

This option enables a post-quantum (i.e. resistent to quantum computers) key exchange algorithm in TLS (CECPQ2).  Mac, Windows

#post-quantum-cecpq2

Omnibox rich entity suggestions

Display entity suggestions using images and an enhanced layout; showing more context and descriptive text about the entity.  Mac, Windows

#omnibox-rich-entity-suggestions

Omnibox UI Max Autocomplete Matches

Changes the maximum number of autocomplete matches displayed in the Omnibox UI.  Mac, Windows

#omnibox-ui-max-autocomplete-matches

Tab Groups

Allows users to organize tabs into visually distinct groups, e.g. to separate tabs associated with different tasks.  Mac, Windows

#tab-groups

Parallel downloading

Enable parallel downloading to accelerate download speed.  Mac, Windows

#enable-parallel-downloading

Tab Hover Cards

Enables a popup containing tab information to be visible when hovering over a tab. This will replace tooltips for tabs.  Mac, Windows

#tab-hover-cards

Query in Omnibox

Only display query terms in the omnibox when viewing a search results page.  Mac, Windows

#enable-query-in-omnibox

Allow installation of external store themes

Turn this on to allow themes from external web stores to be installed in Microsoft Edge.  Mac, Windows

#edge-allow-store-extension-themes

Show block option in autoplay settings

If enabled, block will appear as an option in media autoplay settings.  Mac, Windows

#edge-autoplay-user-setting-block-option

Edge Crashes page in React

Enables the Edge Crashes UI to be rendered in React  Mac, Windows

#edge-crashes-page-react

Enable Fullscreen Dropdown

Drops down browser frame during browser fullscreen.  Windows

#edge-enable-shy-ui

Experimental Tracking Prevention Features

Enables upcoming and experimental improvements to Tracking Prevention.  Mac, Windows

#edge-experimental-tracking-prevention-features

Grammar Tools in Reading View

Enable Grammar Tools feature in Reading View  Mac, Windows

#edge-reading-view-grammar-tools

Picture Dictionary in Immersive Reader

Enable Picture Dictionary feature in Immersive Reader  Mac, Windows

#edge-reading-view-picture-dictionary

Reading Preferences in Reading View

Enable Reading Preferences in Reading View  Mac, Windows

#edge-reading-view-reading-preferences

Enable local providers toggle

Enables toggle to control whether history and favorites suggestions are shown in the omnibox  Mac, Windows

#edge-local-providers-toggle

Import data from Microsoft Edge Legacy

Adds an entry for "Microsoft Edge Legacy" to the list of browsers from which you can import your data. This allows you to import favorites, passwords, browsing history, and more. To import data from another browser, go to edge://settings/importData  Windows

#edge-legacy-import

Enable Text Highlights for PDF

Enables creation and modification of Text Highlights for PDF.  Mac, Windows

#edge-pdf-highlight

Microsoft Edge Reading View for Selection

Enables user to see selected text from web page in Immersive Reader  Mac, Windows

#edge-reading-view-for-selection

Enable sharing page via QR Code

Enables right-click UI to share the page's URL via a generated QR Code.  Mac, Windows

#sharing-qr-code-generator

Global Media Controls

Enables the Global Media Controls UI in the toolbar.  Mac, Windows

#global-media-controls

Global Media Controls for Cast

Shows Cast sessions in the Global Media Controls UI. Requires #global-media-controls and #cast-media-route-provider to also be enabled.  Mac, Windows

#global-media-controls-for-cast

Global Media Controls Picture-in-Picture

Enables Picture-in-Picture controls in the Global Media Controls UI. Requires #global-media-controls to also be enabled.  Mac, Windows

#global-media-controls-picture-in-picture

Show security warnings for sites using legacy TLS versions

Show security warnings for sites that use legacy TLS versions (TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1), which are deprecated and will be removed in the future.  Mac, Windows

#show-legacy-tls-warnings

Heavy Ad Intervention

Unloads ads that use too many device resources.  Mac, Windows

#enable-heavy-ad-intervention

as you can see they are mostly about UI and Edge specific features

Strange, I have those enabled as well, except a few about Omnibox.

You could find a full list of enabled flags plus command line switches at "edge://gpu".

under the 'Version Information' section in front of 'Command Line'.

Perhaps something else has been causing it.

@Thraetaona 

Spoiler

@Thraetaona wrote:
Strange, I have those enabled as well, except a few about Omnibox.

You could find a full list of enabled flags plus command line switches at "edge://gpu".

under the 'Version Information' section in front of 'Command Line'.

Perhaps something else has been causing it.

so I did a mistake there, at first i thought i ran that switch but i put it accidentally between "default" which is the profile name and Edge created another profile for me and in that profile the score was okay.

however later I tested by using that switch properly but this time the score remained low.

I also tested in InPrivate mode window and the score remained low.

so whatever it is, it's in my Edge profile settings, it's not related to cache/cookies etc.

I'll keep digging

Between the 2 Edge profiles that generate different scores, contents of "edge://gpu" are the same except for the "Data exported" parameter which is basically the date.

I went over all the settings and they are identical between 2 profiles. I disabled all of the extensions too just to be sure.

there isn't much I can think of at this point.
currently the only difference between the 2 profiles is that one is connected to my Microsoft account and the other one is offline but I don't see how it can disable 9 HTML5 features..

Actually, it disables 55 features. Closest thing I could relate are GPO's; maybe group policies set for your account are causing this?
I haven't installed the group policy files for the new Edge yet and just ran "rsop.msc" to confirm no Edge-related policy is interfering.

also I'm using Windows insider fast ring as always.

@HotCakeX  Hmmm, this is all really interesting... I'm asking the team and will let you know if they have any suggestions. Have you seen any other changes in performance? And which build(s) are being affected?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi, thank you very much that will be great because I'm totally clueless :)
I can't be sure I'm seeing any performance effects, because it's been like that for a while..
currently i'm on Edge Version 83.0.478.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

btw I recently reset my Windows using cloud download and I remember before doing that, the problem was still there.

So, to sum it up

here is the screenshot.

dsdsds.png

1. on the left side it's my Edge profile connected to my Microsoft account.
  2. on the right side it's my Edge profile that is offline, not connected to any online accounts.
  3. in Edge, profiles share the same flags.
  4. both profiles have identical settings.
  5. there is no group policy affecting Edge canary.
  6. group policy files for the new Edge are not installed.
  7. I'm using Windows 10 insider fast ring latest build (19603)
  8. both Edge profiles have the same content in their edge://gpu/ report (compared the texts with a program)

@HotCakeX I've found the problem and solution. The site html5.com is categorized as insecure so Edge blocks a lot of features to protect you.

cjc2112_1-1592078773236.png

I downloaded an extension to give me https everywhere and this is the new score:

cjc2112_2-1592078836696.png