Which is better, the beta version or the final (stable) version?

Copper Contributor

I recently performed a clean, reinstall of Windows 10 (version 1909, v 18363.719). Previous to the reinstall, I had used the both the beta build and the final build of Chromium Edge. In doing so, I found the performance of the beta version was equal or better than the final (stable) version as a daily browser on the consumer level. I'm seriously considering using the beta version as my daily browser.

If you had to choose one - use the beta over the final, final over the beta, or have both side by side? I'm just a bit curious.

Thanks,

David

2 Replies

@DWR99 I use the Dev build in three machines and it's fast and stable enough for me, so if the Beta is good enough for you, then there's no reason to use the stable channel I suppose. Beta is a good compromise between stability and "freshness", I mean, addition of new features.

I think Beta and Dev are the sweet spot, not as old as stable but not as unstable and constantly updated as Canary.

@DWR99 

Hi,

about performance, you're right, there have been improvements in Edge 81 which is in Beta now

more info: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/new-blog-post-on-performance-improvements-in-microso...

but among all 4 channels, it's best to use Canary channel at the moment.

because of sync issues that are fixed and Canary receives fixes and updates faster.

"As mentioned last week, we have an update to the Favorites sync issue. This is now resolved in Dev and Canary builds, which means it means the criteria for us to mark it as Addressed in this list. However, if you are using the Beta or Stable builds and syncing your favorites through those to Dev or Canary, there is a chance you will continue to see the issues listed. This is expected until the fix is pushed through to those builds. If you are experiencing favorites syncing issues in Dev and Canary and are not using a Beta or Stable build, please submit feedback through the browser so the team can investigate. Thanks so much to everyone who provided feedback around this so that the team could fully investigate and address these syncing issues!"

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-march-4/m-p/1209808

and lastly, it's a myth that Canary is unstable and Dev is more stable. total myth.

I've been using both since the beginning and all I see and read in the community, is how Canary is stable and performs great and how Dev channel needs to wait 1 week to receives fixes and patches that already exist in Canary channel.