Where on earth are the bookmarks stored?

Copper Contributor

Relatively brand new env/install of the latest stable build of Windows 10.

I backed-up my entire user folder, & copied almost the entire contents of the user folder from an old backup, files with the same names (2k-odd) weren't overwritten.

(might be asking for trouble there, I know)

I thought this would do the trick, but nope!

Thank-you.

11 Replies

@SaulJed The easiest option would likely be to go to the ... menu > Favorites > Manage Favorites, then select "Export Favorites" in the sidebar. I have no idea how Chromium-based browsers store this data but that's a surefire way to back it up if you're moving machines without sync enabled (or using a Work account on macOS where sync doesn't work yet).

@lindhartsen 

Not an option, no longer in that older env, just have a backup of it.

Thanks for trying anyway.

@SaulJed Gave it a go and took a look around on my machine and came to the following conclusion

[drive letter]:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data\Default

There's a Bookmarks file here that appears to contain the information if you open it in Notepad. Not sure if plopping that into a profile folder would bring the info right up or not though.

@lindhartsen 

When I did my copy that file should've been included (I closed all running processes, rebooted, & then relaunched etc), but perhaps a more finer-grained manual process will do the trick, thanks for pointing out that singular point, I'll try something later.

Hi,
Which Edge insider channel are you using?
were you using cloud sync before reinstalling your Windows?

@HotCakeX 

Edge Dev. It's already fixed, kinda.

Copied the contents of that that folder mentioned in @lindhartsen's post;

Into the same directory in this new Windows 10 environment.

Annoyingly, some stuff hasn't been restored, like extensions and tabs for 1;

But I do at least have all the bookmarks back, I think.

The amount of time I've lost over the the last ~8wks thanks to W10 instability, is phenomenal.

In the early stages of this new Windows 10 env...

I will soon have a (near) bullet-proof imaging/restoration system implemented.

I simply, can no longer afford that kind of time-wasting BS.

Never had the same degree of time-wasting in OSX/macOS over the years, as I have with W10.

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows 10 for the stuff it's great at;

But I absolutely despise it for the things it's still weak at... 

Here's hoping Windows Core OS (& its flavors) FINALLY delivers a rock-solid Windows in ~2yr.

I won't hold my breath. Anyway that's getting way off-topic, back to the subject at hand!

That's good it's fixed :)
for the next time, you don't have to go through all that, just use the methods that are already provided by default, such as using Cloud Sync,
You could also export your favorites/bookmarks using the built-in option in the settings and the exported file would be in HTML recognizable by all browsers.
Extension sync is not yet available but if you got all your extensions from Google extension store, they would all be there in your extensions library if you sign into your Google account, (I hope Microsoft will do the same)

I don't know what problem you had with Windows 10 but I'd be glad to help if you post it here:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/bd-p/Windows10space

Thanks!

@HotCakeX 

Cloud sync didn't work, as I think my admin (xyz@IBM.com) has disabled all of that.

Might switch to my private MS account, & use it at work instead.

I fear if they disabled cloud sync for you it's possible that they also disabled the use of private MS accounts..

@HotCakeX 

Fortunately, they haven't.

Not yet at least!!! :)

@SaulJed 

Quick way to see the path for bookmarks is from edge://version and looking at profile path.

Sadly MS have not enabled a method (yet..?) of storing bookmarks outside this folder or enabling syncing with favorites as Old Edge did. The profile folder is full of cache and other data not needed to be kept in sync.