Where are the UI icons stored?

Steel Contributor

When trying to help other users, I find it is often helpful to use visual clues as well as text to illustrate various bits of the Edge UI. This is especially true when the one I'm helping uses a different language version of the browser. For example,

Click ⋯ Settings and more 

[instead of 'Click ...' or 'Click Settings and more' or (what I see most often) 'Click on the three dots in the top right-hand corner of the window below the little x.']

Select ? Help and feedback

It looks as if the ones used in the Edge UI may be characters in a special font rather than graphic items, but I haven't been able to track them down.

A few of the icons are available in fonts that sites like this one allow (e.g. Segoe UI Symbol or Emoji), but others are only (as far as I've been able to find) in sundry MDL2 fonts that often aren't permitted (like Segoe MDL2 Assets). So then I have to muck about converting them to transparent PNGs  Segoe MDL2 Assets Regular - App Icon Default-B-24.png Segoe MDL2 Assets Regular - App Icon Default-W-24.png that may or may not work in both light and dark mode. Sadly, this site clearly doesn't allow inline images except for stupid emoji :crying_face:

Can anyone tell me where to find the UI icons?

0 Replies