What will the main reason be to convert people to use Edge(ium)

Brass Contributor

I really want Edge to succed as the "main"/standard browser for everybody, but I'm wondering:

Why should non-techies use Edge(ium) when it goes to stable if Chrome gets all the optimizations?

Is it just "another option" as a chromium based browser?

3 Replies

I switched from Chrome to Edge-Chromium because in comparisons I made by opening the same amount of tabs with the same extensions, Edge always consumed half the memory of what Chrome consumed. And I have the perception (nothing I can prove) that Edge is faster.

I know this is not enough to convince anyone but myself.

It would be interesting if more people would post your comments here, or if someone has more concrete data to prove memory usage, speed, security, etc between Edge-Chromium and Chrome.

Good question honestly.
in my perspective once Microsoft ships all of the unique features (Set Aside, reading list, transparency toolbar etc) from the old Edge to the new Edge and apply the same RAM and battery optimization to it then it will be a browser worth converting to. although in order to keep the users to continue using it, Microsoft should implement new features faster than Google does. such as the collection feature which is unique to Edge browser. that's the only way they can beat Google chrome and become the number 1 browser.

@Deleted Gary Explains proved the speed part