What we're hearing from you

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, we’re listening!

Over these past months we have been busy reading all the great feedback you've been sending us through the "Send feedback" smiley, here on the insider forum, and to our @MSEdgeDev Twitter handle. As we go through the feedback, common themes, popular suggestions, and bugs with broad impact emerge. We've been highlighting this "top feedback" within the team, and we'd like to share it with you as well. Starting with this post, we will regularly summarize the most significant feedback we are hearing from you and give you an update on the status of each item. We'll also highlight some of the changes we've made that were inspired or prioritized because of your feedback. Check out the list below, and of course use this forum thread to share your thoughts and discuss.

Your feedback has directly led to many improvements. Here are just some of the most notable, now available in the Canary channel:

• Dark theme is here!  The most common request over the last several months is to add a dark theme to Edge – check it out in Settings under Appearance today!
  • Need help translating? Bing Translate is now built into Microsoft Edge – look for the prompt offering a translation the next time you encounter a page that isn't in your language
  • Do you want more control over the data your browser keeps?  Check out the privacy controls in Settings under Privacy and services, including the option to Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.
  • Don’t want to see the favorites bar all the time? There is now an option in Settings under Appearance that allows you to show it only when you open a new tab.
  • Are you annoyed by all the ads competing for your attention while you're trying to focus?  Try Reading View for a distraction-free reading experience – look for the book icon in your address bar.
  • Want to sign-in and sync to AAD accounts just like your Microsoft account?  Sign-in and sync of AAD accounts is now available.

Here are some top feedback topics we plan to address in the coming months. (Of course, plans can change. We'll make sure to let you know if timing or direction shift on any of these.)

Planned to be addressed in the Canary channel in September 2019:

• An option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website
  • A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line
  • The addition of a favorites button to the toolbar, to provide quicker access to favorites

Planned to be addressed in the Canary channel in October 2019:

• Inking on PDFs
  • When you sign-in to the browser, your sign-in profile picture will accurately be kept up to date.
  • When you have more than one profile, better handling for opening links and attachments in the appropriate profile.
  • An option to set your own photos as the background image on the New Tab Page
  • Enable search in the extensions store
  • A bug fix for users who receive an “Administrator Mode Detected” notification (advising them to close and relaunch the browser in non-administrator mode) each time they launch Edge
  • ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

The team is reviewing the following feature requests and we'll be sure to let you know if they're getting ready to show up in one of our channels:

• Feature requests for the New Tab Page, including the capability to turn off the news feed, to hide the Bing search bar, to change the search provider, to rename tiles, and to support Dark Theme
  • Bring back features from the current version of Microsoft Edge such as tab set aside, tab preview, "Ask Cortana", and the reading list
  • Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps
  • Provide an option to set a custom home page
  • Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs
  • Support themes from the Chrome Web Store
  • Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account
  • Provide different options for sorting favorites
  • Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

Finally, there are a few areas where you've told us our quality needs to improve. We are investigating these areas and will fix specific bugs when they are identified:

• Edge should use less memory and CPU than it does
  • Scrolling should feel smoother, both for web pages and PDFs
  • Update does not always work reliably
  • Drop-down menus in some web pages are not working

You can help in these areas by keeping the bug reports coming. Whether you have a major issue or a minor glitch, if you see something, click the "Send feedback" smiley and tell us briefly what happened. Every report helps!

Thank you all for being insiders. Your feedback motivates and inspires us, and we genuinely appreciate it. We look forward to sharing these updates on a regular basis to show how you're helping to set the direction of the next version of Microsoft Edge.

-David Rubino

Microsoft Edge Team

180 Replies

@David Rubino So far I am loving new edge browser and has been using it as my default browser, but can you add a feature that switches between search engines in the search bar rather than going to that search engine's webpage first.

@saad47 

Hi,

is this what you're looking for?

Annotation 2019-09-14 151224.png

it's in the Edge insider settings: 

edge://settings/search

@HotCakeX  no I am talking about a feature in Firefox where your default search engine is of your choice but occasionally if you want to search something in other search engine you can easily switch within search bar. as seen in screenshot circled in red

clipboard_image_0.png

@Warstunn 

Personally I have my outlook.com Mail as a favorite on the right hand end of the favorites bar. Click it and Outlook.com Mail page opens (And logs in automatically as it's a saved login), which has the square of 9 dots button, just like Google's, that drops down a menu of all the Microsoft Apps. So two clicks. Just as I have Google.co.uk as one of the tiles on the new tab page of Edge and Firefox, so 1 click on a tile on the ntp gives me the Google home page with the 9-dot square for the menu of all the Google services (and logs into Google automatically, and has a link to my Google Account).

I really can't understand the need for adding extra buttons in a toolbar likely to become crowded with extension buttons when it's trivial to create easy access to the Microsoft Apps menu in either the favorites bar or through a tile on the ntp.

@saad47 

That can be done and is done through here...
CSE.jpg

Different ones can be selected or changed here
ChangeSE.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  there is slight misunderstanding I am not talking about 'how to change default search engine' what I am saying is using 'search shortcuts' in the address bar similar to firefox. It makes it easy to switch between search engines.

@saad47 The feature is there but it is hard to find:

Settings > Privacy and Services > Address Bar (down at the bottom) > Manage Search Engines

That lists every site your browser has seen that supports a search function. By default, it assumes that the domain name is the "keyword" to trigger the search, so:

google.com microsoft edge 

will use Google to search for Microsoft Edge. But you can adjust the keyword to whatever you want. I have a number of searches keyed off short words for sites I use a lot. In most cases I will edit the short cut to remove the domain, so:

google sean corfield

will use Google to search for my name.

@saad47 

I had understood you. What I showed you was as close as it comes, I'm afraid.  Don't seem to have that FF way.  Although, another person, I see, suggested an approach.  You might suggest it to Mr. Smiley. It is a cool idea to have included in the browser.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@seancorfield Thanks mate! this is a pretty neat shortcut. I didn't know that.

@David Rubino 

We are very excited about the new version of Edge!

I work as a lead implementer of O365 solutions at a hospital employing around 1200 people.  What is key for us is the ability to access our SharePoint online site without the need for any additional username and password requirements. We use AD connect to synchronize passwords with our on-premise Active Directory service with Azure AD and have currently built a basis SharePoint online "extranet" to allow for single sign-on using Internet Explorer. We also have an on premise SharePoint site. 

I notice that the beta version of edge does do seamless single sign-on with our on premise site (didn't in the past) but no longer works seamlessly with our cloud version. 

Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks

When a decent Speed Dial to Microsoft Edge? Thank you.

@saad47 

@saad47 wrote:

@Drew1903  there is slight misunderstanding I am not talking about 'how to change default search engine' what I am saying is using 'search shortcuts' in the address bar similar to firefox. It makes it easy to switch between search engines.

That would be really good, i'd vote for it too

@HotCakeX That feature already exists in Edge Dev/Canary (and probably in Beta too?). It's just hard to find!

Settings > Privacy and services > Address bar (it's right at the bottom of Privacy and services) > Manage search engines

You may already have some registered -- Bing, at least, possibly others that Edge has been able to auto-detect -- but you can add anything new you want.

Example, adding imdb as a keyword to search IMDB: you can find the search URL by going to the website and doing a search for something and seeing what it produces, e.g.,

https://www.imdb.com/find?ref_=nv_sr_fn&q=microsoft&s=all

Now you can Add a new "search engine": 

Now type imdb followed by a space into the address bar. It should change into "Search IMDB" and then whatever you type will be used in that URL for a search!

I have dozens of these set up for searching sites I commonly use.

@seancorfield 

Ah I know that already, Thanks xD

just install a Firefox and you'll see what i mean ;)

here is a screenshot

Annotation 2019-10-17 012125.png

you can search in different search engines and change them on the fly without the need to go to the settings every time unnecessarily.

@HotCakeX Ah, interesting. I can't imagine ever wanting to do that since I either want a) a general search via Bing or b) a specific site search on a site I've configured. My most common two are wiki (Wikipedia) and imdb (IMDB) but there are a bunch of tech sites I search where I always know which site I want first and I'd rather do ctl-l keyword search terms return than interact with a drop-down menu!

That's cool, obviously our browsing habits are different

@David Rubino 

Can you add multiple search engines for images in ‘search the web for image’. I mean if you click on search the web for image it searches for the image in your default search engine, but you can also choose another search engine in the cascading menu such as ‘bing’ or ‘tin eye’ etc without the hassle of opening the search engine and then try searching for that image or changing your default search engine.

@saad47 

@saad47 wrote:

@David Rubino 

Can you add multiple search engines for images in ‘search the web for image’. I mean if you click on search the web for image it searches for the image in your default search engine, but you can also choose another search engine in the cascading menu such as ‘bing’ or ‘tin eye’ etc without the hassle of opening the search engine and then try searching for that image or changing your default search engine.

I'd love something like this, great suggestion

@David Rubino Yes, bring back the reading list!