What we're hearing from you

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, we’re listening!

Over these past months we have been busy reading all the great feedback you've been sending us through the "Send feedback" smiley, here on the insider forum, and to our @MSEdgeDev Twitter handle. As we go through the feedback, common themes, popular suggestions, and bugs with broad impact emerge. We've been highlighting this "top feedback" within the team, and we'd like to share it with you as well. Starting with this post, we will regularly summarize the most significant feedback we are hearing from you and give you an update on the status of each item. We'll also highlight some of the changes we've made that were inspired or prioritized because of your feedback. Check out the list below, and of course use this forum thread to share your thoughts and discuss.

Your feedback has directly led to many improvements. Here are just some of the most notable, now available in the Canary channel:

• Dark theme is here!  The most common request over the last several months is to add a dark theme to Edge – check it out in Settings under Appearance today!
  • Need help translating? Bing Translate is now built into Microsoft Edge – look for the prompt offering a translation the next time you encounter a page that isn't in your language
  • Do you want more control over the data your browser keeps?  Check out the privacy controls in Settings under Privacy and services, including the option to Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.
  • Don’t want to see the favorites bar all the time? There is now an option in Settings under Appearance that allows you to show it only when you open a new tab.
  • Are you annoyed by all the ads competing for your attention while you're trying to focus?  Try Reading View for a distraction-free reading experience – look for the book icon in your address bar.
  • Want to sign-in and sync to AAD accounts just like your Microsoft account?  Sign-in and sync of AAD accounts is now available.

Here are some top feedback topics we plan to address in the coming months. (Of course, plans can change. We'll make sure to let you know if timing or direction shift on any of these.)

Planned to be addressed in the Canary channel in September 2019:

• An option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website
  • A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line
  • The addition of a favorites button to the toolbar, to provide quicker access to favorites

Planned to be addressed in the Canary channel in October 2019:

• Inking on PDFs
  • When you sign-in to the browser, your sign-in profile picture will accurately be kept up to date.
  • When you have more than one profile, better handling for opening links and attachments in the appropriate profile.
  • An option to set your own photos as the background image on the New Tab Page
  • Enable search in the extensions store
  • A bug fix for users who receive an “Administrator Mode Detected” notification (advising them to close and relaunch the browser in non-administrator mode) each time they launch Edge
  • ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

The team is reviewing the following feature requests and we'll be sure to let you know if they're getting ready to show up in one of our channels:

• Feature requests for the New Tab Page, including the capability to turn off the news feed, to hide the Bing search bar, to change the search provider, to rename tiles, and to support Dark Theme
  • Bring back features from the current version of Microsoft Edge such as tab set aside, tab preview, "Ask Cortana", and the reading list
  • Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps
  • Provide an option to set a custom home page
  • Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs
  • Support themes from the Chrome Web Store
  • Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account
  • Provide different options for sorting favorites
  • Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

Finally, there are a few areas where you've told us our quality needs to improve. We are investigating these areas and will fix specific bugs when they are identified:

• Edge should use less memory and CPU than it does
  • Scrolling should feel smoother, both for web pages and PDFs
  • Update does not always work reliably
  • Drop-down menus in some web pages are not working

You can help in these areas by keeping the bug reports coming. Whether you have a major issue or a minor glitch, if you see something, click the "Send feedback" smiley and tell us briefly what happened. Every report helps!

Thank you all for being insiders. Your feedback motivates and inspires us, and we genuinely appreciate it. We look forward to sharing these updates on a regular basis to show how you're helping to set the direction of the next version of Microsoft Edge.

-David Rubino

Microsoft Edge Team

180 Replies

@DavidGB 

I'd say they have to. If it's gonna look like Chrome, behave like Chrome - then there is no reason for not using Chrome.

MS has to provide something better than Chrome, not just a bad copy. To do that they need to take the best parts of Edge - the userfriendly gui and combine that with the rendering and plugin functions from chromium. If that requires a fork of Chromium - so bee it.

The main reasons for the failure of edge classic was the dumb decission to not release it for W7 from day one hence limiting the market and forcing all W7 customers to choose another browser (Chrome).

Not having a scripblocker and for many years not having a good adblocker either cemented them to the bottom

Hi All,

This is a great read.  Thank you for taking the time to advocate for the features and changes that you would like to see in the next version of Microsoft Edge.  The list that we shared is our top feedback by number of individual instances, and with over 140,000 pieces of feedback received already, it only represents a small sliver.  We are going to post the list of top feedback on a regular cadence in an effort to transparently show you how we use your feedback to make our product decisions.  I fully expect things to drop off this list as they get worked on, or as priorities change.  Things can also pop back on if we get it wrong.  We really appreciate having you along with us on this journey, and your feedback so far has made the next version of Microsoft Edge better.  Please keep sending us your suggestions and let us know how you think that we are doing, good or bad!  Thanks - Elliot

@David Rubino 

Please is there any chance that the WEB NOTES is coming to Mac OS Edge? 

The Web Note feature is fantastic in the Windows 10 version, and it would be lovely to see that feature in the Mac OS version.

I think this feature will certainly make the browser standout on Mac, as Chrome only have this feature as a plugin in which is nothing compared to the inbuilt Web Note feature in Edge on Windows 10.

Thanks for your kind consideration.

@elnobun 

Heck, it will be lovely to see that Feature in Edge C on Windows, let alone on MAC. Yet, another person wanting Add notes (of Edge) to be in Edge C. Hmmm.... ver-rrrr-y in-terrr-est-ting (as Arte Johnston would say)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

The Collections button seems to be implemented as a flyout, if I am using the term correctly. At least the behavior is similar to how Edge Legacy works with the Favorites button.

It is not clear to me what would prevent the Favorites button, or other buttons, from displaying the same way in Edge Chromium.

Good question and good point!

Cheers,
Drew
WebNotes are awesome, specially their tight integration with Microsoft OneNote.
can save a lot of time. instead of printing the web page to PDF first and then use 3rd party software to take notes or highlight it, we can do it right from the browser quickly.
I think once they ship all the features from the Old Edge to the new one, such as Reading list, Webnotes, Cortana integration etc, they will have to put them all in one button and make it a flyout one, to save space and for ease of use.

@leeuniverse here's where it shows up in my beta release of Edge. Next to your profile picture, next to the address bar. Maybe you need to be logged into the browser to see it?

@KenRoss 

Hi Ken,

I take there is supposed to be an image, snip here, but, there is nothing.  And if you have it that would be in your Canary.  Not everyone has it, yet, btw.  Both Share & FS.jpg were/are "Controlled Feature Roll-outs" which, means everyone does not/will not receive them simultaneously.

Here's an example - I have received FS.jpg recently, but, I am, still, patiently awaiting Share.  They are both in Canary, so far; Canary has things 1st..  The other Channels see things later or after Canary.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@HotCakeX 

Hey do you know how I can activate the inbuilt "spellcheck" in Edge Beta for Mac? It seems not to be working for me.

Thanks.

Hi,
well in the browser flags (edge://flags/) there is only one flag related to spellchecking and it's only for Windows. (it enables to use the built-in spellchecking engine of Windows instead of chromium spellchecking engine)
so that leaves you with one option related to spellchecking and that's in here: edge://settings/languages

if that won't fix it for you, i suggest to try newer versions of Edge insider browser like Canary or Dev.
ultimately if all of the channels fail at spellchecking in Mac then you can report it using smiley feedback button at top :)

@David Rubino 

When I click on a favorite , I want it to open in a new tab by default -

I know I can right click to select a menu item to do this each time, but I want it to be the default action.

@MarsMas 

I dont so it shouldnt be a mandatory default in my eyes, user selectable would be nice though

@MarsMas 

Already there!

use Middle Mouse Button (MMB) instead of LMM (Left Mouse Button) to click on favorites.

Use, click the mouse wheel, it's '3rd' or middle button to open the Fav..

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@matsmcp  It does not make sense to open in the current tab too

I usually choose to show bookmark/favorite bar always on the browser, not just on the new tab so when i'm done with a website, instead of closing its tab and opening another, i can just click on the favorites bar.
can be done with the new favorites button at top too, next to profile picture.

@MarsMas 

For me it does. If i want to check through a number of pages i want to reuse the same tab instead of having to close a bunch of unneded tabs

@HotCakeX  I would suggest to keep "open in a new tab" optional setting , it will help