What we're hearing from you

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, we’re listening!

Over these past months we have been busy reading all the great feedback you've been sending us through the "Send feedback" smiley, here on the insider forum, and to our @MSEdgeDev Twitter handle. As we go through the feedback, common themes, popular suggestions, and bugs with broad impact emerge. We've been highlighting this "top feedback" within the team, and we'd like to share it with you as well. Starting with this post, we will regularly summarize the most significant feedback we are hearing from you and give you an update on the status of each item. We'll also highlight some of the changes we've made that were inspired or prioritized because of your feedback. Check out the list below, and of course use this forum thread to share your thoughts and discuss.

Your feedback has directly led to many improvements. Here are just some of the most notable, now available in the Canary channel:

• Dark theme is here!  The most common request over the last several months is to add a dark theme to Edge – check it out in Settings under Appearance today!
  • Need help translating? Bing Translate is now built into Microsoft Edge – look for the prompt offering a translation the next time you encounter a page that isn't in your language
  • Do you want more control over the data your browser keeps?  Check out the privacy controls in Settings under Privacy and services, including the option to Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.
  • Don’t want to see the favorites bar all the time? There is now an option in Settings under Appearance that allows you to show it only when you open a new tab.
  • Are you annoyed by all the ads competing for your attention while you're trying to focus?  Try Reading View for a distraction-free reading experience – look for the book icon in your address bar.
  • Want to sign-in and sync to AAD accounts just like your Microsoft account?  Sign-in and sync of AAD accounts is now available.

Here are some top feedback topics we plan to address in the coming months. (Of course, plans can change. We'll make sure to let you know if timing or direction shift on any of these.)

Planned to be addressed in the Canary channel in September 2019:

• An option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website
  • A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line
  • The addition of a favorites button to the toolbar, to provide quicker access to favorites

Planned to be addressed in the Canary channel in October 2019:

• Inking on PDFs
  • When you sign-in to the browser, your sign-in profile picture will accurately be kept up to date.
  • When you have more than one profile, better handling for opening links and attachments in the appropriate profile.
  • An option to set your own photos as the background image on the New Tab Page
  • Enable search in the extensions store
  • A bug fix for users who receive an “Administrator Mode Detected” notification (advising them to close and relaunch the browser in non-administrator mode) each time they launch Edge
  • ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

The team is reviewing the following feature requests and we'll be sure to let you know if they're getting ready to show up in one of our channels:

• Feature requests for the New Tab Page, including the capability to turn off the news feed, to hide the Bing search bar, to change the search provider, to rename tiles, and to support Dark Theme
  • Bring back features from the current version of Microsoft Edge such as tab set aside, tab preview, "Ask Cortana", and the reading list
  • Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps
  • Provide an option to set a custom home page
  • Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System, including less rounded tabs
  • Support themes from the Chrome Web Store
  • Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account
  • Provide different options for sorting favorites
  • Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

Finally, there are a few areas where you've told us our quality needs to improve. We are investigating these areas and will fix specific bugs when they are identified:

• Edge should use less memory and CPU than it does
  • Scrolling should feel smoother, both for web pages and PDFs
  • Update does not always work reliably
  • Drop-down menus in some web pages are not working

You can help in these areas by keeping the bug reports coming. Whether you have a major issue or a minor glitch, if you see something, click the "Send feedback" smiley and tell us briefly what happened. Every report helps!

Thank you all for being insiders. Your feedback motivates and inspires us, and we genuinely appreciate it. We look forward to sharing these updates on a regular basis to show how you're helping to set the direction of the next version of Microsoft Edge.

-David Rubino

Microsoft Edge Team

180 Replies
Guys - asking again! - what's happened to AAD Seamless SSO with new edge working? It used to work (in the same manner as chrome) during the early versions of new edge but then stopped when you guys replaced the google accounts ecosystem within new edge with the MS/AAD account system. We need AAD seamless SSO to work with new edge WITHOUT either logging into edge itself OR WITHOUT having to hybrid AAD join the workstation! You know - juts like even IE 11 (or chrome) can do today! New edge isn't fully enterprise ready until it gets this feature back. Our organisation is now having to transition to Chrome instead of new edge because of the loss of this feature. Tom.
Maybe it's time to change the logo...
To something more Fluent

@David Rubino 

If the browser doesn't provide

- ability to change search engine to one that the user wants

- ability to hide any MS-specific interface features (such as a Bing bar)

then, personally, I am not interested. Wouldn't have it for my company either. 

There is No Bing bar. the browser doesn't even support toolbars anymore!
You Can change your search engine to anything you want, even custom ones.

@David Rubino 

Dear David, 

I'm glad to read about the upcoming improvements, but a little concerned that two (imho) important key features not showing up on your list.

1. In full screen mode, we need the ability to swipe-in tabs, address-bar and tool-bar like in classic Edge, otherwise full screen is completely unusable. Think of the millions of tablet users (like me), almost always working in full screen mode due to the limited screen size on tablets.

2. Please add the ability to sort favorites manually (drag & drop) on touchscreens. It does work with the mouse, but not with finger or pen. I know many users who like to sort their favs by workflow or personal preferences. 

Can you please tell me if the above is in planning for upcoming releases?

Best regards

@David Rubino 
Hi David

Thanks for the update and the list of the already available and the upcoming improvements. For me and some others, "Edge on Windows Server" is missing... Like reported here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/new-Edge-for-RDS-Server-2016-2019/m-p/423517#M674
and here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Edge-support-on-Server-OS/m-p/574383

Is there a statement from MS, if and when the new Edge is coming to Win Server?
Regards, Chris

Oh, looks like you already started with it! That's music to my ears (eyes)! :cool:

DevEdge.JPG

Edit: @David Rubino  I was glad too early... We where able to install Ent Dev V 78, but can't start it in an RDS or Citrix Session. Details described here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Edge-support-on-Server-OS/m-p/574383

I really like the Acrylic style of the built in MS Edge, please port it to the Edge insider!

@David Rubino Hello and thank you for the Chromium Edge.

I have a question, if you don't mind. "Continue on PC" functionality seems broken with the leaked "stable" channel. That feature is why I use Edge, basically. Uninstalling the stable Edgium reverted to the old Edge, and now Continue on PC works, but the "Send notification to linked PC" function has stopped working completely, sadly, even after a few resets/uninstalls of the Android/Win10 My Phone app and unlinking/relinking the phone. 

Any insights on this specific functionality? Thank you.

@David Rubino Is there a timeline for a native WOA build? I'm using a Galaxy Book2, and while the x86 Edge on Chrome build runs OK, I'm hoping a native build would run significantly faster.

@David Rubino 

Hi,

When do we get to see Edge Chromium to start looking like the real Edge browser and not like Google Chrome! It would be great if the design & user interface reflected the original Edge browser rather than just another Chrome browser! 

Kann es sein das das MicrosoftTeam etwas falsch gemacht hat? Seit dem kumulativen Update August 2019 (für Win 1903) kann ich in keinem Edge Browser (Chromium oder der alte), noch im Internet Explorer mehr Inhalte der tvnow Seite schauen. Angeblich verstößt es gegen die DRM Rechte und wird daher blockiert. Im Firefox geht das anschauen. Da es alle Edge Browser und Internet Explorer betrifft gehe ich von einem Problem des Windows Updates aus , da dieser Fehler vorher nicht war. Der Fehler tritt bei mir an 4 von 4 PCs an unterschiedlichen Orten auf (alle Windows 10 1903 - UptoDate + Edge Browser Dev, (als auch der alte). Hoffentlich bekommt ihr das Hin irgendwie...

@David Rubino 

But how can we send feedback if we don't have a Linux build yet? ;)

I jest, but switching full force to chromium edge I need a solution for syncing everything back and forth with Linux and Windows.  I already do this with VSCode and settings sync, and it's awesome.

I'll send some feedback from my W10 build.

Fully agree, we do not need MS Chrome
There is no MS Chrome either. it's just Microsoft taking Chromium open-source engine, improving it a lot and modifying it based on their needs, then integrating it with the rest of their codes to make the new Edge insider.

do you call Opera browser, Opera chrome? Vivaldi browser, Vivaldi chrome? Yandex browser, Yandex chrome? just because they are using the chromium engine? Nope. so this new Edge browser is just Microsoft Edge.

@David Rubino 

I'm thrilled you're working on this single improvement:

• Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

Internet Explorer has always been superb by not cluttering the Downloads folder with garbage -- just because of the Run option. With Run, IE has always been putting whatever you download into a Temporary Internet Files folder, which would eventually be wiped out by some other cleaning process. And because of it, Downloads was nice and tidy with only those files that you wanted to keep.

Now that we all use Chrome or Firefox, it's scary for me to just open the Downloads folder, it's a landfill. Even Mac users have their Downloads folder scary, for they never had a proper and decent Internet Explorer with its Run for any download.

Thank you.

@David Rubino Today's Dev update for 08-21-19 has broken the ability to login to my Netgear R7900P router. No matter which address I use (192.168.1.1, routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com) I get a quick 401 Unauthorized splash screen and then the Tab instantly defaults to a router password reset page (screen shot below). It's not the router because I can access it normally using Firefox. Can you please ask your team to look into this? Thanks a million.

clipboard_image_1.png

@David Rubino I signed up for the Dogfood program and i thought had the latest Edge.....what is the difference between Edge Dev and Canary?  is Canary a bit more on the leading Edge than Edge (dev) - sorry couldn't resist......(and how can one tell which they have?

@vonkosch This about sums up Canary and the other versions (Dev, Beta, Stable) from the Chromium Project page (If it's too small to read, I also attached the snipe as an attachment file). It references Google Chrome's Channels, but it's about the same for Edge's channels.

Capture.JPG

Basically Canary is where new features are tested (or added but not yet tested or just starting to be tested by Canary users/testers) and may or may not make it over into the next stage which is Dev. One day you might see said feature in Canary, and the next day it's gone or it's still there but being tested and bugs fixed over a few Canary versions before being moved up to the Dev version. By Dev it's a lot to mostly resolved, tested over, improvements of already set in features, and filtered in/out by Dev but of course might still have a glitch or two or things not yet added or being "extra tested". Beta is where the new features shine and can be tested before everyone else gets it in Stable, the bugs have pretty much been sorted out, features have gotten the green light, and it's getting it's final or close to final test drive before those features and updates/upgrades are released into Stable. That's it in simple definition (give or take). Canary is my favorite, and it's 99.98 percent stable in my personal view and whatever isn't stable is usually sorted out by the next day or following day as it's Canary is updated daily, where Dev is updated weekly, and Beta is major updated about every six weeks, and Stable...I don't know.