What the heck is with Reading view??!!

Silver Contributor

1st it's outrageous had to use flags to have Reading view, BUT...  What the heck?!!  THIS Reading view does not show articles photos AND it does NOT HAVE any of Reading view's tools!  This is totally & absolutely unacceptable!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

6 Replies
Perhaps it's not ready yet, hence why it's hidden behind a flag in order to use it.

@Drew1903   The more I look into this, the more I am convinced that reading view is an "experimental feature", as are all flags.  Reading view is very inconsistent in how it renders pages from website to website, renders pages quite differently from reading view in Edge (Classic), and is clearly not ready for prime time.  

@tomscharbach @EbonJaeger 

I'll pray that is the case & explanation.  It may well be. And, take a look @ this (hang on)... With Edge and this (wait for it) you can highlight text & > Cortana & or Bing.  BUT, this (patience, Grasshopper), you cannot highlight and there is no Rt Clk menu.  Kind of the same 'deadness' as Reading view.  Ok, it's THIS.

Someone asked about an ETA for new Edge.  At the time, I suggested 'simultaneously' with 1909.  Recently, I thought maybe would be sooner than that.  But, no, there is too much to do before kicking it out of the nest.  I'm back to suggesting along with 1909.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  Edge Insider has always talked about "months" of development.  Some of the stuff that Microsoft is talking about (e.g. the Internet Explorer tab) is complex and is likely to take a while to debug.  The build conference yesterday suggested that features/functions that I assumed were going to be ported were being reviewed.  All of that suggests to me that it is going to be quite a while before Edge Chromium is released.   

My guess is that Microsoft will not launch until Edge Chromium is ready for deployment on Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7, because cross-platform launch would be the optimal marketing launch.  I'm also guessing that Microsoft is going to retire IE as a browser (as opposed to a set of service components) when Edge Chromium releases.  

You might be right about a release in the fall.  I don't know.  It might be later.  I don't think that it will be earlier.  I don't really care when it happens, as long as Edge Chromium, when it releases, is rock solid and secure.  Microsoft cannot afford to screw this up and expect to retain market share, let alone grow market share.

Hey @Drew1903 - Reading View is now turned on by default. But is by no means complete. It gives a clutter-free view of the page. The customization tools are being built and should come out in Canary channel soon. 
Appreciate your time in using and sharing feedback.

Thanks for telling me.  Looking forward to its 'tools' being there, as well.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg