What's new in Edge insider Canary Version 79.0.284

MVP

The Global Media Controls key Icon is changed.

9kdeitjdkko31.png

2bgygmljkko31.png

Before:

Annotation 2019-09-24 190702.png

After (Now):

Annotation 2019-09-24 190530.png

More info about this: this changed happened around 1 weeks ago in Google Chrome Canary, now Microsoft Edge insider got the new change too.

in case you're wondering how to get the Global Media Controls button on your Edge Insider Canary, you can do so by enabling this flag in: edge://flags/

Global Media Controls

Enables the Global Media Controls UI in the toolbar. – Mac, Windows

#global-media-controls

Another appearance change: notice the color in the omnibox search suggestions. 

Before: it was gray

Annotation 2019-09-24 191626.png

After (Now): it's pitch black, just like in the classic Edge.

Annotation 2019-09-24 191544.png

New Tab Page Customization 

Annotation 2019-09-24 213859.png

20 Replies

Oh wow it is in regard to the appearance. Pretty neat. 

Why those that are reading this post I encourage to try out Edge Canary. There's a lot of neat features that pop up which aren't (yet) in Developer version and especially not yet in Beta version.

Yeah, love the new appearance, I hope soon they get rid of the whole gray area and turn it all into pitch black as well. the tool bar (in dark mode), the settings page etc.
Fascinating. Are you going to be giving daily updates on canary updates?
Thanks,
Sure, if they change anything noticeable I'll be posting about it

@HotCakeX another thing: the address bar is darker now on the light mode, which looks VERY weird. I hope it's a bug.

Global Media Controls
Enables the Global Media Controls UI in the toolbar. – Mac, Windows

#global-media-controls

Note: This button is an "auto-hide/auto-show button. In other words it will only show when you are on a website that has media to be played and auto-hide when you are not. It will not show all the time unless you are on a media site...

At least that is the way it has been working for me
Version 79.0.284.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Dennis5mile
Yes, it's always been like that. never changed

@YgorCortes 

@YgorCortes wrote:

@HotCakeX another thing: the address bar is darker now on the light mode, which looks VERY weird. I hope it's a bug.

Hi,

this is how it looks like on my Edge insider canary Version 79.0.284.0

Annotation 2019-09-25 000729.png

if it's different for you, please post a screenshot to see the difference, thanks

Yeah, I only mentioned it for those that did not know this. The new folks that are just now checking out the new Edge...   ;)

Dennis5mile

@HotCakeXHere's how it looks on mine Anotação 2019-09-26 160909.jpg

play some video or music like from YouTube to see the buttom

@HotCakeX That's not the only change in the Global media controls, there are two other changes which I mention here:

Some nice changes made to the "Global Media Controls" in Edge insider Canary.

And this is another novelty in the Canary version  (79.0.286.0):

Microsoft improves the Aura tooltips in Edge insider Canary.

Thanks for the info, added them to the post.

@HotCakeX You're awesome, thanks for sharing!  :)

Thanks, anytime!

@HotCakeX 

"Another appearance change: notice the color in the omnibox search suggestions.

Before: it was gray

After (Now): it's pitch black, just like in the classic Edge."

Fortunately, in the build released today in Canary (79.0.290.0), Microsoft has reversed this change, this was a change made in Chromium itself, it was not a change "planned" or on purpose in the new Edge, the omnibox returns to have the same nice color of before.

It could be the start of a change though. like first the omnibox and then the entire toolbar would be in pitch black, just like in the classic Edge right now.
I prefer that to this shady gray..

@HotCakeXI am very happy that they have restored the gray color, I never liked pitch black, for example, I would like the Settings app (Windows 10) to have the same gray color of the Store, I think most people prefer gray over pitch black, that's why Microsoft recently changed the color of the aura tooltips.

Good for you, some time ago I ran into someone who would call these colors such as gray, yellowish gray etc as offensive, so i don't know about the whole "people" idea.
but between me and you, we 2 have obviously different tastes and that's respectable, Microsoft just needs to provide us with options to satisfy our personalization needs :)