What if Edge automatically switched to Vertical tabs when too many tabs in horizontal tab strip?

MVP

Vertical tabs is great, no denying it, but it's useful the most when you have more than just a couple of tabs open, that way you can easily scroll through them, view their titles, resize the panel etc. without any compromise or tabs shrinking.

so what if there was an option when you turned it on, Edge would automatically switch to vertical tab strip when open tabs reach a certain number?

normally you will use horizontal tab strip, but once you have 10 open tabs, Edge automatically switches to vertical tabs.

Edge already suggests this when the number of open tabs in horizontal mode reaches 10.

image.png

so I'm thinking it'd be good if this happened automatically (optional), instead of user switching between modes manually.

7 Replies

"What if Edge automatically switched to Vertical tabs when too many tabs in horizontal tab strip?"

What if Edge left it up to users if and when to use horizontal/vertical tabs, instead of imposing rule-based UI changes, opt-in or not, on users in the middle of trying to get some work done?

As for the pop-up ad disguised as a "suggestion", it is an unnecessary distraction and Microsoft ought to dump it immediately. 

@tomscharbach 

Spoiler

@tomscharbach wrote:

"What if Edge automatically switched to Vertical tabs when too many tabs in horizontal tab strip?"

What if Edge left it up to users if and when to use horizontal/vertical tabs, instead of imposing rule-based UI changes, opt-in or not, on users in the middle of trying to get some work done?

it is already that way.
there won't be any "imposing". notice the word "optional" in my post.

it won't disrupt any work.

@HotCakeX  "it is already that way"

In what sense?  Users select "Turn on Vertical Tabs" or "Turn off Vertical Tabs" with a mouse click, but nothing changes without that mouse click.  If that behavior will not change with "automatic switch", then what is the point of "automatic switch"?

"there won't be any "imposing"

When you say that "there won't be any imposing", I assume that means that the default behavior will be "don't switch automatically" rather than "switch automatically", requiring affirmative user action to change the default.  I wouldn't bet the farm on the assumption that Microsoft won't set the default to "switch automatically", given the so-called "suggestions" that keep popping up.  Microsoft is really pushing this "feature" for whatever reason.  Don't expect that to change.

"notice the word "optional" in my post"

And notice the "opt-in or not" in mine.   It doesn't make any difference whether the "automatically switch" setting is Microsoft default or user "one size fits all".  The potential for disruption resulting from an unexpected shift in UI at the worst possible time is the same.

you said What if Edge left it up to users and i said it's already that way

@HotCakeX  "you said What if Edge left it up to users and i said it's already that way"

This is the full statement:  "What if Edge left it up to users if and when to use horizontal/vertical tabs, instead of imposing rule-based UI changes, opt-in or not, on users in the middle of trying to get some work done?"  You ignore an important qualifier: "... if and when to use horizontal/vertical tabs ..." That will change with automatic switching, user opt-in or not.

I see that we are headed down the rabbit hole, yet again.   It is probably time to end this and let others get a word in.

That won't change with an option. you don't have to turn on the automatic switching if you don't want to, not sure which part is hard to understand for you.

let me tell you this way: there is an option, if you don't use it, everything stays the same as it is right now. got it?

nothing bad is gonna happen, nothing is gonna be disrupted and none of those things you said are gonna happen.

"As for the pop-up ad disguised as a "suggestion", it is an unnecessary distraction and Microsoft ought to dump it immediately."

IKR, very distracting when I'm playing games. Maybe the Edge devs should add some red circle where the update icon is on the ... ellipsis. If you click that it at the top of the menu it says "Want to try out vertical tabs? Click here for more information." and then it shows that pop-up. The same thing for sleeping tabs, very distracting when I'm playing games or searching on Bing.