Wee editorial regarding Edge Channels (w/ a warning)

Silver Contributor

I feel this needs to be said after what I have been reading in this Forum. I do trust y'all will agree.

There are 3 Edge Insider Channels, Canary, Dev & Beta.
1. They are all beta versions.
2. We do not have a date for the non-beta release henceforth referred to as GA (General Availability). Or I don't, if anyone does we are all ears.
3. When New Edge does go GA it will replace current Edge.
4. GA, as in not an Insider (beta) Build, anymore.  

Canary receives changes, additions & update daily.  It is for those fairly tech savvy and one can expect flaws, glitches & assorted issues & problems,,, but, for those interested the cutting-edge (nv the potential pun) of development, Canary is the one for you.

Dev receives it's Builds wkly.  Ergo, many of the issues discovered in Canary are fixed before reaching Dev.  So theoretically, Dev is more 'User Friendly' and should have fewer hiccups.

Beta receives its Updates every 6 wks.  It is, certainly, to be explored & enjoying by the majority of general Users.  They can run with something that's unchanged over a 6 wk stretch, time to get familiar & comfy w/out short interval changes.  BUT, do not think of the Beta Channel as any kind of finished product!  It may seem to be void of some features or other concerns that remind it, also, is unfinished.  And as it's name says, it is, still, beta.  It may seem shiny & solid but, still, not GA.  Just to keep things in proper perspective.

These Channels are ONLY, repeat, ONLY, available HERE

Referring to the above in red... apparently, there is something in the good ole internet being called Stable Version.  There is no such thing, officially, ergo, whatever it is, stay the heck away from it.  We are a long way time-wise from the GA & it definitely won't be called Stable Version.  If you come upon this, ignore it & refer back to the red caveat, above.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

1 Reply

Great info @Drew1903 to remind folks.

One call out from me, these are not all beta versions. There is one Beta version (Beta) and 2 other channels - Developer and Canary. Just wanted to separate them as there is a difference. 

More information can be found at our blog What to expect in the new Microsoft Edge Insider Channels.

The Beta channel is the most stable Microsoft Edge preview experience today.

Thanks,

DarrenMH