SOLVED

Was Reading View disabled for beta?

Brass Contributor

I just installed Edge Beta from scratch and Reading View is nowhere to be found. Is this a bug I should report or was Reading View disabled for the beta version?

12 Replies

@sudokai 

Hi,

you need to enable it via the flags in here:

edge://flags/

and these are the flags you're looking for:

Annotation 2019-10-30 002005.png

@sudokai 

Admittedly, I don't use Beta much, but, I checked and I will/can confirm that even with RV flags enabled, Reading view is not in Beta, now. Look to see if it is there after Beta updates, soon. (within the next few days)

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

Reading View mode button doesn't appear just on any web page,
try on this one

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/provisioning-packages/provisioning-install-ic...

@Drew1903 

I enabled the flags and it is now working for me. I'm on version 78.0.276.20 in DEV.

Yes Reading View or Immersive view mode (new name) is enabled with those flags.

by the way that version you mentioned, are you sure it is Dev channel?

Latest Dev version is 79.0.309.5

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-79-0-309-5-is-live/td-p/963...

@Bibbit 

It will/does work in Dev without flags.  Dev used to need them for RV, but, not anymore; same for Canary.  Currently, only Beta, still, needs the RV flags.  That may change for Beta as well when it updates shortly.  Presently, w/ flags in Beta RV doesn't have all the tools now in it... will, likely, see that in Beta after it updates, also.

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@Drew1903 

okay now I'm really confused,

you said Reading View is not in beta, not even with flags. after checking and confirming!

Annotation 2019-10-31 233655.png

and now you said

@Drew1903 wrote:

Currently, only Beta, still, needs the RV flags.  

@HotCakeX 

Pretty sure I'm in the Dev channel. Not sure how to verify. Anyway, just updated to 79.0.309.11. I am using it in a corporate environment, though I am not running the Enterprise version.

clipboard_image_0.png

There is no Enterprise version of Edge, and your screenshot shows you are using Beta not Dev

@Bibbit 

Hi,

According to what is shown in your snip you are running the Beta Channel not, Dev.  RV is now in Dev & Canary by default.  Currently, its flags must be enabled to have it in Beta.  That will probably change & it be default there, too, after Beta's next update.

Beta RV.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

best response confirmed by sudokai (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Beta already received it's next update today which is the last one before stable is released in January 2020

@Bibbit 

As predicted, Beta will now do Reading view w/out flags.

Cheers,
Drew

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by sudokai (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Beta already received it's next update today which is the last one before stable is released in January 2020

View solution in original post