Vertical tabs, Smart copy and Password Monitor are coming to Edge!

MVP

Microsoft just uploaded this video:

https://youtu.be/yg5cUyPBHjI

updated the What's Next page with new stuff:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-next

at some points in the video it demonstrates a sidebar (0:20 and 0:47), it looks very good and fluent, it's apparently for vertical tabs

Vertical tabs

It's easy to end up with a ton of tabs open. The more you have open, the more difficult it becomes to find, switch between, and manage them. With vertical tabs, you can easily shift to view your tabs in a pane to the side. This allows you to easily see the titles and access controls like mute and close. It even makes it easy to reorder your tabs, with the ability to drag and drop to rearrange. When you want to focus on a specific page, you can collapse the pane. Anytime you need to switch between tabs, you can hover over the pane to see all the information you need. The new Microsoft Edge is the only browser to offer built-in vertical tab navigation allowing for a more streamlined experience.

Smart copy

Copying and pasting content from the web can be tricky – selecting the content can be challenging and pasting doesn't always look like the original. Smart copy makes it easier to select, copy, and paste content that you find across the web, maintaining source site's formatting, spacing and text. Use your mouse to select any area or content (including charts, images, etc.) and when you paste, you will get the option to paste as an image or to retain the original source formatting, saving you valuable time. This is one of the many ways the new Microsoft Edge is providing tools to help you be more productive while browsing the web.

Password Monitor

Data breaches worldwide have been on the rise and the security of your data is one of our top priorities. Password Monitor on the new Microsoft Edge notifies you when your online credentials have been detected on the dark web. If Microsoft Edge uncovers a match with your saved passwords, you will receive a notification on the browser informing that your credentials have been compromised. Through a dashboard view, people can see a list of all affected accounts, visit the websites directly, and take action accordingly.

28 Replies

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX Sorry, I meant Password manager - this one is already in Gogole Chrome and Firefox. They use public data from leaks. 

Yes I meant password manager too, it already exists, it's in here: edge://settings/passwords

@HotCakeX OK, you know what I mean :) - comparing passwords with DB leaks (it is in Chrome/Firefox)

Vertical tabs are only a good solution to management of many tabs if the window is in a landscape orientation, wider than it is tall. I very frequently have two windows open side by side, so the windows is taller than it is wide. Vertical tabs would take up too much real estate in that orientation. The same is true for people with tablets in portrait orientation.

There needs to be another solution, like scrolling through horizontal tabs. It's the only decent solution for any window in portrait orientation.
I think first we should wait and see Vertical tabs or any of the upcoming features in action. right now we know nothing other than some glimpse and few seconds of a quick demo video.

One thing needs correcting here, the little white lie told by the Edge team!
Regarding the "vertical tabs" feature, Edge is not going the first to implement it, as others have mentioned, Vivaldi is famed for this, as is the Eolie browser by GNOME. further back still, Chrome had this feature at one point.

I don't really care about Password monitor, But I highly appreciate vertical tabs and smart copy.
++++++1 for vertical tabs.
Vertical tabs is my fav future too, hope it comes first ;D
Yeah, that would be great. It's was such a great surprise tbh, in such pandemic year, ;p
Yes I hope it ends before the next year comes