Vertical Tabs look Good!

MVP

sdsadas.png

managed to get it on Edge Version 86.0.598.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

They are a little premature and basic, still need to evolve a lot.

but for now the tab previews work, tab grouping and colors work and the main button for switching between horizontal/vertical view works.

there is a big gap here which I don't understand why it's there. probably a placeholder for an upcoming feature.

dsdsda.png

overall I like it and looking forward to a more evolved experience from vertical tabs soon.

63 Replies

@Dennis5mile  Thanks so much! And @HotCakeX thanks for reminding me of tab grouping. 

Here's how my son uses tab grouping:

KamlovesMS_0-1602365484999.png

Nice, but the problem is, you make all that customizations, custom names etc and they are gone once you close the browser. it's a lot more optimized on Chrome, Edge team need to work on tab grouping on Edge

Hello @HotCakeX 

I believe that the edge team has not yet worked hard on this feature
I think at the moment this is just coming from chromium

@HotCakeX 

Your either going to laugh or be as bewildered as I am... 

I've not had vert tabs yet on my pc's...   Now Yesterday my daughter was having trouble with edge on her laptop, so I take and give it a go-over, she has an "HP Pavilion 15-cr0037wm X360, 15.6" FHD Touschscreen, Intel i3-8130U, 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 1TB HDD, WIN 10"   The problem was a bad cookie, but while I'm there I log into my account and update canary while I have her laptop to the latest version.  Version 88.0.673.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), and when edge reboots, low and behold what do you think I find.... yep Vert tabs!!   Now why on "my" microsoft account etc.. would I get Vert Tabs on the same version of Can on her laptop, but not here on my desktop pc.. ?   This is tooo funny.. 

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

lol that is funny but um there is a thing called user ID or something like that, a unique identifier for each Edge installation. I think they distribute experimental features among those IDs randomly (while taking IP location into consideration to see if user resides in a supported country) and that's why you get different features.

Hhmm, so your saying that even though I log in with the same MS Id in all installations of canary edge on any pc/laptop will not matter because each edge installation has its own id..

That is SOO wrong, if I have the exact same setup on all my canary installations I should be getting all the same features, rollouts or not.. At least I'd think so... Another reason for them to just give to all Can users.. lol

Dennis5mile

P.S. to clarify, I'm not saying you're wrong, but that I think they should take another look at how they set rollouts up.. :D

@Dennis5mileyou mean you're wrong.

@Dennis5mile 

Well I wish it was like the way you described, all users in the same channel had same features but it's not unfortunately but yeah even if you're not logged in, you get that unique identifier 

Hello @Dennis5mile 

I have two devices
Vertical tabs had appeared on just one device

Now appeared on my other device
Has it now appeared to you?

Nope, still nothing. :( Also, I had heard that on every update the clientID for the browser changes, but I've been monitoring mine on Canary and it has not changed once in the last 3 updates which is when I started monitoring it. I do not think that it really ever changes. I think they go "anyone between this and that number gets the feature, then broadens that value to a wider number. I'm just not in their range apparently.

Dennis5mile

Hello @Dennis5mile 

I installed the edge update on Tuesday
And the vertical tabs only came to me this afternoon

There was no update for me
So from what I saw, the feature was already in the browser all the time, but hidden

I think they activate via server

Yeah, that kinda goes back to what I was saying. ClientID's that run from 1 to 100 get blank feature, then they open it further to say ClientID's that run between 1 to 125 get blank feature, and you were probably in that range. Where I'm still not in the range.. My Canary Browser ClientID = clientId=-1413605948236802927 They just have not hit my range yet and might never until they give to all...

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

How did you find the clientid?

I keep checking the canary build in the hopes that I'll get the vertical tabs and then I can try it properly, but this idiotic controlled release thing means I'm still using Firefox.
Totally get it, if I still didn't have it I'd feel the same..

@HotCakeX 

WooHooo, finally have Vert Tabs in Canary and it is not a fluke.. lol..  Before todays update it showed up after my system rebooted from a windows insider update and there it was and just to be sure I closed the browser and rebooted my system again and there it was and after todays canary update it is still here.. :D  one happy camper here... 

Vert Tabs  2020-10-23 152957.jpg

Dennis5mile

I should have complained about this months ago - it's just appeared in my browser as well :)

Finally get it as well. =)

Limyx826_0-1603519738973.png

Congrats guys xD

@HotCakeX 

Now I need to get serious about replicating the FF extensions in Edge :)