Various Edge Versions On MacOS Big Sur Beta 4 Crashes Very Frequently

Iron Contributor

Hi guys,

I have logged this feedback via the browser (whilst I had the time) but I wanted to see if others are having similar problems. I am confident it is linked to Big Sur as Catalina had no issues at all.

The issue:

- I run Edge and start using it, sometimes it will last maybe an hour, sometimes only a few minutes and it will terminate.

- I do not browse the same combination of sites every time.

- I have been forced to use Chrome Canary as an alternative, but this doesn't crash at all. (version 86.0.423.0)

- This is a problem with Edge, Edge Beta and Edge Dev too as I have installed all of those and it does the same thing.

- Interestingly, just before the last force close, I ran Edge Canary via the Terminal script inside the app icon (show package contents > contents > MacOS) it had shown me this in the Terminal window:

[0812/102241.519215:WARNING:process_memory_mac.cc(93)] mach_vm_read(0x7ffee6b73000, 0x2000): (os/kern) invalid address (1)
[0812/102242.473112:WARNING:crash_report_exception_handler.cc(258)] UniversalExceptionRaise: (os/kern) failure (5)
zsh: segmentation fault

My stats:

- At the time of writing I was running Edge Canary Version 86.0.605.0 and I am on the Insider Fast ring.

- Macbook Air 13 Inch Early 2014

- Big Sur Beta Version 20A5343i (the crashes have happening since Developer Beta 1)

I am not looking for an immediate fix, but perhaps some contact with devs and fellow Edge lovers to sort this issue out, I HATE having to use Chrome :(

4 Replies

@sayjay09 I also have similar issue. Edge will crash after waking up from sleep in Big Sur beta (1, 2, 3, 4)

@simzen85 Hopefully it will be fixed soon, the Edge support team has told me that the engineers are aiming to fix this before the general release of Big Sur.

@sayjay09  I have the same problem but since Beta 8. It's very sad, I don't want to change my browser :(

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13 [i5] from late 2017

@mrcgrhrdt What version of Edge are you using?

For me, I am Beta 10 and the current Beta, Dev and Canary builds work fine.