using more neutral colors in the Light Theme

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

The Light theme has a very yellow tint to it. Don't you think it would make more sense to opt for a more neutral color scheme?

Just compare these two:

https://imgur.com/a/t1v6byI

I think the difference is night and day and not in Edge's favor. Everything except for the url and search bars has either a yellow, orange or brown tone to it. The warm colors make it look messier and are more stressful on the eye.

It doesn't match Windows' Light theme either which has way more neutral whites and greys.

32 Replies

I don't see "very" yellow there. only very small shades of yellow.
it's unrelated to the Windows theme. light or dark. it's the background of the new tab page, the UI when in light mode has the correct colors and honestly i don't see why Microsoft should copy everything Google does to the Chrome.

if i wanted to use Chrome then i would use it, not a Google chrome clone. there is no rule saying that the background must be 100% white.

@HotCakeX 

Wherever did I say they should copy Chrome? Every single other browser I've used (including native Edge) has a neutral color scheme. Check Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave. They all have neutral whites and grays. And it makes sense. It should be non-offensive to as many people as possible. Chromium Edge is the first browser I've encountered that has this beige/yellowish scheme, and it doesn't look good at all.

"if i wanted to use Chrome then i would use it, not a Google chrome clone. there is no rule saying that the background must be 100% white."

If you think that a color scheme is the only thing that differentiates browsers then there's probably not much use discussing this with you.

Sorry but I still can't see how a little yellowish color can be offensive...
i understand that those 4 browser use white and grey instead of white and a little yellow but i don't see the point here. does it make it a fact and a rule that if Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi use those colors then Microsoft should follow that rule, otherwise it will be "offensive" for users!?
it's your choice to discuss it with me or not but i didn't say or mean that it's the only thing that differentiates this browser with others.

@HotCakeX 

Quoting your first reply:

"if i wanted to use Chrome then i would use it, not a Google chrome clone. there is no rule saying that the background must be 100% white."

That implies that changing Edge's color scheme to a neutral one will somehow make it a Chrome clone. I wouldn't be posting on these forums if I wanted to use Chrome.

I never said or implied that there was some kinda rule. This is an MS Edge Insider forum. It's for suggestions and improvements. The browser is still in beta.

The yellowish color is not what most people are used to when it comes to browsers. Using a neutral theme would be less offensive on the eye for most people. It will make the browser more welcoming to new users (i.e. make it more popular / have a higher market share - which is what MS are interested in at the end).

@microsoft_account1111 

Nope, that doesn't seem like that to me.
honestly i've never seen anyone else posting about it.

Neutral (NOO-trul) colors don't usually show up on the color wheel. Neutral colors include black, white, gray, and sometimes brown and beige. They are sometimes called “earth tones.”

source: https://www.infoplease.com/arts-entertainment/neutral-colors

Beige is variously described as a pale sandy fawn color, a grayish tan, a light-grayish yellowish brown, or a pale to grayish yellow.

source: Google

so you see my friend, Edge insider browser is already using a neutral color ;)

Also the word you keep using "offensive"

Annotation 2019-09-13 020236.png

so how exactly is the color offensive to you?

@HotCakeXmaybe stop playing a semantics game? You obviously understand what I'm talking about. All the popular browsers (read: browsers that people are used to) use white, gray or cold gray. That is anywhere on the line from #00000 to #ffffff or slightly toward #000ff. Yellow is not on that line, and neither are beige, orange or brown.

The color is more offensive (you seem to not realize that it's a relative term) than white and grey because people are not used to it when it comes to browsers. Actually I think I've already answered that question, so I don't know why you keep asking.

I really don't, that's why I kept asking what you exactly meant.
so you expect me not to take your words seriously? because when i did you said i'm playing games! i was simply trying to understand you.
Microsoft decided to take a different approach and add a little bit of yellow to the background of the new tab page, hardly noticeable actually. and you're saying that they shouldn't because other browsers don't do that.
I say the color is not offensive at all. again by people you're referring to yourself only.
you say offensive is relative but relative to what? the color is not disgusting, it's not attacking me, it's not insulting me. so !?!?

you can set the new tab page style to "inspirational" so you will see an image instead of blank page with color that offends you..

@HotCakeX 

You are not trying to understand me. You disagree with me, but instead of offering a counter argument you resort to playing a semantics game. Words have different meanings. You think that just because you found some dictionary that considers beige a neutral tone that somehow changes my point. Is that really something a person trying to understand you would do?

Back to the topic. By "people" I'm referring to people. Things people aren't used to are more offensive than things that people are used to. A beige UI tone is something people aren't used to in browsers. Still follow me? If not, then I give up. I don't know how else to explain it.

It's not just the New Tab page. You have to be blind to tell me that the rest of the UI (i.e. the tab bar, the bookmark bar, the settings page etc) isn't beige.

hah now i'm blind. so being rude is your last resort.

I'm not playing semantics game. doesn't matter how many times you say that.
Yeah? dictionary helps people understand words. what else am i supposed to do?

that's only your way of seeing it. things that are new to people are just new, not offensive.
offensive has its own set of meanings.

@HotCakeX 

First of all I never said you're blind. Reread my comment. Second of all, you've been rude all along, so hypocrisy much? Even if I were rude, that would be in response to your rudeness. Letting you get a taste of your own medicine, if you will.

"what else am i supposed to do?"

Maybe read instead of taking things out of context?

A word can have multiple meanings, and those meanings change over time. That's how language works, friend (I'm sure you weren't being rude when you called me that, were you? ;) ). Offensive doesn't always mean that it actually attacks you. A color can be offensive if it doesn't fit somewhere or if one is used to seeing a different color.

It's simple logic. People are a lot more likely to turn away from a browser if it has something they aren't used to that if it doesn't have it. This isn't subjective. It's how probabilities work.

Since when trying to understand someone is rudeness?

i'm not talking things out of context.

in your language calling someone friend is rude?

i disagree. that's not how probabilities work. people are more likely to want to try something new, maybe out of curiosity too.
Again it would be more appropriate if you only talked about yourself and do not go out of context to include "people" because it complicates thing.
there are trillions of colors in the world. it doesn't make sense when someone is used to only see one of them. how is that even possible?

@HotCakeX 

You can disagree with facts all you want, that does not in any way stop them from being facts.

"Since when trying to understand someone is rudeness?"

Since never. Trying to understand someone isn't rude, and I dare you to find me a quote where I said otherwise.

"in your language calling someone friend is rude?"

In my language, i.e. English, it is indeed rude to call someone a friend in certain contexts.

@HotCakeX 

Actually it would be less appropriate. This is supposed to be a browser for all Windows users (eventually). I believe that my suggestion would make the browser better not just for me, but for the majority of other users for the reasons I listed above.

this is the fact too: people are more likely to want to try something new, maybe out of curiosity too.

Not in the context that i used above
i believe the way it is now is better.
it is more appropriate to have a different style. that color is no way an obstacle =

@HotCakeX 

Yes, very much in the context you used above. It was a snide remark. Unnecessary to say the least.

You can't have a "maybe" in a fact, friend.

well i like to call you a friend because i don't want you to think we are enemies just because we disagree over a piece of technology.

@HotCakeX 

"I believe.. "

And that's fine. We all have preferences. I've listed actual reasons for why it would be better to opt for more neutral colors userbase- and OS cohesion-wise.