Use OS native Language Input Panel to Change Input Language/Spelling on Windows

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I use Windows 10 swapping between three input languages using the OS native Language Control panel to change them using Win+Space. Edge spell-checking doesn't obey these means of choosing the spelling language. This leads to the rather undesired effect of having e.g. spelling suggestions for the language chosen by the OS-level panel and the spelling being checked according to the Edge language choice.

Even if it makes sense to keep the non-native spelling checker inside Edge, synching the input language with the OS panel would be helpful.

I guess one of the problems is that currently Edge allows the user to select "preferred languages" in settings which seem to mean both page display languages and input languages for Edge. I don't mind reading in a couple more languages than I ever could write (and would prefer the see the page native rather than translated), so -- for me -- it would make sense that the Edge language setting defines the languages of webpages which Edge can request in some order of priority, while the question of input would be best left to the OS native panel and dictionaries. 

5 Replies

@wigster 

Annotation 2019-09-09 184324.png

Edge insider Canary Version 78.0.268.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

it can check for spelling simultaneously for multiple languages, regardless of Window language settings.

@HotCakeX  Thanks. I didn't know about this.

That's part of a solution potentially, but it is also not quite so helpful if two languages are reasonably close and you are trying to write in a particular one. Having both of them selected as spell-check languages means that words in either are not flagged. So a sentence containing e.g. a Polish word such as "chrząszcz" is unflagged in a piece of English text such as this one.

You can see this would be problematic if the difference between languages in many words boils down to diacritical marks or one letter: e.g. the English "training", Polish "trening" and Czech "trenink" (which are all being allowed right now since I have EN, PL, and CZ spell checking) 

So then I still need to switch the input language using Win+Space (to change the input keyboard), right click in the text field to pick just one language. Then to actually switch back to the multi-language spell checking, I have to go back to Edge's language settings.

For testing purpose, i removed all other languages and just kept EN and Polish.
before doing that, when i wrote "trening", Edge insider would drew a red line under it meaning it's incorrect and spelled wrong. but after adding Polish both to list of the languages and Spell checking language, the red line didn't appear again when i wrote trening. because it identified it as a polish word.

there is also an option in the same language settings called
Languages / Add or delete words

use it to add super similar words to the list.

@HotCakeX I agree that's how it works.

But I am saying it is a problem if you are writing in one language which has words which are spelled similarly to another one which you also have set up in your preferred list. This means that Edge doesn't tell you that you have spelled the word e.g. in Polish by mistake (because e.g. it's your native language and you naturally spell like that) when you were writing in English.

@wigster 

Myself I regularly write in 4 languages, constantly switching from one to the other, so this is a very important feature. For me the ideal behaviour would be that of the previous Edge and the rest of apps which are properly coded in Windows (use the OS selection and dictionary instead of the Chrome one).

FYI, it is already there as an experimental feature, but not working properly (at least not in my case).

https://winaero.com/blog/enable-windows-spellchecker-microsoft-edge-chromium/