Use chrome theme in canary build guide

Brass Contributor
  • Ensure you’re using the latest canary version 81.0.395.0 or higher, right-click on its desktop shortcut, select properties.
  • In the Target field, after msedge.exe” add “–enable-features=msAllowThemeInstallationFromChromeStore” (Without quotes)
  • Click ok and Apply

Once done, head to the Themes section in the Chrome Web Store and click on “Add to Chrome” to download the theme you want. 

13 Replies

I think this is important to note:

you mentioned click OK and Apply but it should be the other way around.

in fact when a user presses OK without Apply, it won't work. (I tried it myself just now because I was scratching my head why it's not working)

Plus it's not even possible to first press OK and then press Apply because the window disappears.

so first press Apply and then press OK

An import reminder: you will need to reset Microsoft Edge to get rid of it. it can be done from here:

edge://settings/reset

https://mspoweruser.com/here-how-you-can-install-chrome-themes-on-edge-canary/

@tomyan112 I tried this in both the Canary build and the Dev build, both of which have version numbers greater than you say, and it failed in both. I have the flag in the shortcut but it still gives me an error that "Themes are not supported" when I try to install it from the google store. 

@Dan203 

could u paste the contents of Target in here?

in edge canary shortcut properties

ddd.png

@HotCakeX it was exactly like your screenshot except I stuck –enable-features=msAllowThemeInstallationFromChromeStore to the end.

I'm a software developer so I know how CLI flags work. 

Although looking closely at your screenshot I now see it has a double dash for the —profile-directory flag so maybe this requires a double dash to. I just copied and pasted what's in the OP which only has a single dash, or maybe actually some odd character as it looks slightly longer than a normal dash in this post.

I'll try again and pay close attention to that instead of copying and pasting. 

"–enable-features=msAllowThemeInstallationFromChromeStore"

it's longer than normal dash

@HotCakeX  I installed a theme in canary and don't see the full picture of the theme like you would see in chrome. Is there any way around that?

@QueenNini 

@QueenNini wrote:

@HotCakeX  I installed a theme in canary and don't see the full picture of the theme like you would see in chrome. Is there any way around that?

Well I don't know how that specific theme should look like on chrome to compare it to how it looks like in Edge canary..do you have screenshot of that and the link to the theme?

@HotCakeX  I first noticed it when I started putting themes in Beta and now Canary. Chrome shows the full picture. Here is the screenshot of how it's supposed to look like and here is the link:

https://www.themebeta.com/chrome/theme/1349438

@QueenNini 

Spoiler

@QueenNini wrote:

@HotCakeX  I first noticed it when I started putting themes in Beta and now Canary. Chrome shows the full picture. Here is the screenshot of how it's supposed to look like and here is the link:

https://www.themebeta.com/chrome/theme/1349438

Aah now I see what you're talking about, well that picture won't be available on Edge, that's normal.  that is a 3rd party site, not official chrome web store or Microsoft Addons store (no themes in there Yet) so there is no official support for them,

also whoever made that theme was probably targeting Google chrome and not Edge. the UI is very different.

Edge browser's NTP is different, it supports daily pictures and custom pictures that users can set.

you can download that image or search for it in Bing and set it manually for the NTP

@HotCakeX I got that website from here in the community. So what you are saying it might be different from the actual chrome web store? Also how would I download a picture and set it as part of the theme?

@QueenNini 

Spoiler

@QueenNini wrote:

@HotCakeX I got that website from here in the community. So what you are saying it might be different from the actual chrome web store? Also how would I download a picture and set it as part of the theme?

you can set any image as your new tab page background:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/new-feature-in-edge-canary-set-custom-picture-in-...

@HotCakeX I responded on what I have in that post. 

Thanks, it's best to wait a bit more until they expand the rollout and make it available more broadly