Use Calibre E-book manager (free) to read your EPUB files

MVP

Saw some people wanted to read EPUB files but it is discontinued in Edge classic, and it was a good decision since Edge is a browser, not a E-book reader. it also lacks so many essential features for managing E-book library.

so for those of you looking for a free full featured complete software to enjoy your E-books, use Calibre. it supports all major E-book reader devices, E-book formats and many more!

https://calibre-ebook.com/

P.S

I'm really trying to help people find a great free software to read their Epubs and start doing it right now. without waiting for anyone to develop and create something that is already made by someone else.

the point of this topic is to demonstrate some Win32 E-book readers and their features. because in Microsoft's support article, they only said to use Windows store for finding an Epub reader but there isn't anything remotely as good as these programs on Windows store.

41 Replies

@Ibukun Momson I already mentioned, earlier in the thread, why it probably isn't a 'simple' thing for the Edge team to publish their legacy EPUB-reading system as a standalone UWP app.  Namely: they'd have to include a lot of the legacy Edge core within that app, and it would therefore be a serious maintenance problem, to keep it all working, as the OS got upgraded in ways that would break the legacy Edge core.  I think we can be sure that, if it was easy, they would be doing it.  Therefore, because they aren't doing it, it probably isn't easy.  (How's that for circular reasoning!)

@jrc14 That's a very good point, I didn't consider that :-(.

Having to maintain the app is probably the reason they'd not do it. I think it may be possible to bundle a standalone package with all component libraries they need, but maintaining it over countless Windows updates (which is bound to break something at some point) becomes a commitment which they are likely unwilling to undertake.

Such a pity really. I still have a small tablet I permanently took offline with the most recent Edge build supporting Epubs. I will use that for as long as possible - using USB to transfer Epubs etc. Will never connect it to the internet! :)