Use Calibre E-book manager (free) to read your EPUB files

MVP

Saw some people wanted to read EPUB files but it is discontinued in Edge classic, and it was a good decision since Edge is a browser, not a E-book reader. it also lacks so many essential features for managing E-book library.

so for those of you looking for a free full featured complete software to enjoy your E-books, use Calibre. it supports all major E-book reader devices, E-book formats and many more!

https://calibre-ebook.com/

P.S

I'm really trying to help people find a great free software to read their Epubs and start doing it right now. without waiting for anyone to develop and create something that is already made by someone else.

the point of this topic is to demonstrate some Win32 E-book readers and their features. because in Microsoft's support article, they only said to use Windows store for finding an Epub reader but there isn't anything remotely as good as these programs on Windows store.

41 Replies

Tutorial: How to use Calibre for Managing e-books.
p.s it's cross platform: Windows, Mac, Linux. unlike Edge classic which was only for Windows and only for Windows 10 (because of UWP).

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/videos/grand-tour.mp4

@HotCakeX I disagree. 80 people want that capability. We want to use the actual reading mode, with the dictionary, the possibility to hear pronunciations, to use the immersive reader features, and Calibre does not offer that. Also, Edge ui is better, and edge is faster, and if 80 people put like Microsoft should consider that. 

Be honest, how many posts here have 80 likes?

@FedeDiLo 

Spoiler

@FedeDiLo wrote:

@HotCakeX I disagree. 80 people want that capability. We want to use the actual reading mode, with the dictionary, the possibility to hear pronunciations, to use the immersive reader features, and Calibre does not offer that. Also, Edge ui is better, and edge is faster, and if 80 people put like Microsoft should consider that. 

Be honest, how many posts here have 80 likes?

is your argument only the number of likes?

because that doesn't mean anything these days..

have a look at this Wikipedia page:

SockPuppet

It means 80 insiders want the feature. We explained why we want that, and we don't ask anything special. It would be like opening pdfs, same ui, same features. We just want the capability to read the epub format. I don't think supporting a format like epub would be so time saving.
It may not be a priority feature, but it's definitely something many wants and they should consider adding it.

@FedeDiLo 

Spoiler

@FedeDiLo wrote:
It means 80 insiders want the feature. We explained why we want that, and we don't ask anything special. It would be like opening pdfs, same ui, same features. We just want the capability to read the epub format. I don't think supporting a format like epub would be so time saving.
It may not be a priority feature, but it's definitely something many wants and they should consider adding it.

it definitely doesn't mean 80 insiders.

like I said, anyone can create fake accounts and like a post as many times as they want. it's Internet, you don't sign up with your social security number or a copy of your birth certificate.

you name 5 features that Edge classic has that is better for E-book reading, I can name 100 features that Calibre has which is good for E-book reading. because it is built for that matter.

E-book reader = E-book reader

Browser = Browser

E-book reader !=browser

Why anyone would create fake accounts to add likes in this tech community?? I do not even have a pdf reader. So according to your idea a browser shouldn't even be ready to open pdfs? Ffs

@FedeDiLo 

Spoiler

@FedeDiLo wrote:
Why anyone would create fake accounts to add likes in this tech community?? I do not even have a pdf reader. So according to your idea a browser shouldn't even be ready to open pdfs? Ffs

I don't know, I'm just saying it's possible so it can happen. maybe they think number of likes mean something.

almost all browsers open PDFs now because that's the standard portable document format for businesses.

you never get to sign a form, contract, agreement etc that is in Epub format, because it is only for E-books.

E-books have their own readers, hardware and software, with their specific set of features.

PDFs on the other hand are used in lots of fields, including E-books.

Edge had some unique features that made people use it. This was an important one because the reader features of Edge are better than any other program

@FedeDiLo 

Spoiler

@FedeDiLo wrote:
Edge had some unique features that made people use it. This was an important one because the reader features of Edge are better than any other program

The same features are available in other programs.

I don't know why you want to develop something that is already developed, better, by others!

what Edge legacy had in terms of Epub wasn't anything unique, wasn't a golden sheep, that only Microsoft possessed. there are lots of other companies specialized in E-book market and they do better job at it.

Calibre is one of them,

another is Adobe Digital Editions

https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html

list of features:

https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html

it's free, cross platform.

Word lookup feature while reading Epub in Calibre which also supports adding more sources for looking up word definitions.

dsdadas.png

fdsfds.png

fdsfsd.png

@HotCakeX 

Yes I'm aware of Calibre, been using it forever, way before mobile computing became ubiquitous. There's a reason (or many reasons actually) we want the Edge classic EPUB reader back.

It is true Edge classic is a browser, not an ebook reader, but if you've used any number of ebook readers on Windows, you will agree that the Edge epub reader is miles beyond any other application out there (note: for actually 'reading' ebooks, not 'managing' a digital library). Nothing else comes close, and I will say I have tried them all (both win32 'programs' like Calibre or kindle as well as UWP store apps - Freda, FictionBookReader, LightReader. etc. - too many to list or remember right now).

On the interface and functionality of the classic Edge reader - great font rendering, fast, super smooth, real-time built in dictionary and pronunciation on word selection, just overall an elegant app; it's the sum of the nice little parts that make it superior to any other ebook reader on Windows.

I would really appreciate it if the classic Edge team decides to release a standalone epub reader based on it. Just pull it out of the browser and publish it as its own app. Really hoping for this!

@Ibukun Momson 

Spoiler

@Ibukun Momson wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Yes I'm aware of Calibre, been using it forever, way before mobile computing became ubiquitous. There's a reason (or many reasons actually) we want the Edge classic EPUB reader back.

It is true Edge classic is a browser, not an ebook reader, but if you've used any number of ebook readers on Windows, you will agree that the Edge epub reader is miles beyond any other application out there (note: for actually 'reading' ebooks, not 'managing' a digital library). Nothing else comes close, and I will say I have tried them all (both win32 'programs' like Calibre or kindle as well as UWP store apps - Freda, FictionBookReader, LightReader. etc. - too many to list or remember right now).

On the interface and functionality of the classic Edge reader - great font rendering, fast, super smooth, real-time built in dictionary and pronunciation on word selection, just overall an elegant app; it's the sum of the nice little parts that make it superior to any other ebook reader on Windows.

I would really appreciate it if the classic Edge team decides to release a standalone epub reader based on it. Just pull it out of the browser and publish it as its own app. Really hoping for this!

I've used E-books in Epub in Edge classic, also used it in Calibre, the same features exist in Calibre.

the features you listed are these, exact quote: " great font rendering (check), fast, super smooth (check), real-time built in dictionary (check) and pronunciation on word selection (check)"

Calibre got them all.

if you used Calibre since 'forever' then you should know that it also supports plugins that add lots of other features that are not built in by default in it.

@FedeDiLo 

Completely agree with you! @HotCakeX we are aware of Calibre and other 'alternatives', it's not like we are completely clueless as to other ebook readers! Afterall, Edge was extremely late to the ebook reading game, and I have been reading ebooks on PCs for so many years, way before Windows 10 or Edge. Obviously, there must be something (or several things) that must have attracted us to the Edge reader. It was not the first reader I tried on Windows, so why do we care so much about it? I think this speaks to the satisfaction the users derived from using it.

The fact that we are asking for it, or even a standalone app based on the Edge reader speaks volumes. This is not about being 'ignorant' or just being stubborn, I mean what's there to gain? The simplicity and elegance and well thought out interface, apart from the obvious quality and functionality of the Edge reader is/was simply outstanding. Really hoping that it gets a second chance somehow.

@HotCakeX 

Again, it is not just about raw 'functionality', it is the elegance, simplicity, fluidity of the interface. Not to drag this into another space entirely, but as an analogy, why do you think the iPhone which launched in 2007 was so successful and practically overthrew heavyweights like Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola which were well 'established' in the mobile game long before Apple showed up in phones? I can assure you it was not functionality, because there was absolutely nothing 'new' functions-wise that the original iPhone brought to the table - music, internet, apps were so mature already in Symbian on Nokia, and Ericsson's platforms as well. It was the totality of the package that set the iPhone apart, the 'experience' so to speak. 

Calibre is simply too involved and 'bloated' as an ebook reader. I just want to launch an ebook and get into it, just like an actual paper book experience, not fiddle with countless options, configurations, plugins etc. This was what Edge offered. I want the functionality back, or as a simple standalone app. 

@Ibukun Momson 

Spoiler

@Ibukun Momson wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Again, it is not just about raw 'functionality', it is the elegance, simplicity, fluidity of the interface. Not to drag this into another space entirely, but as an analogy, why do you think the iPhone which launched in 2007 was so successful and practically overthrew heavyweights like Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola which were well 'established' in the mobile game long before Apple showed up in phones? I can assure you it was not functionality, because there was absolutely nothing 'new' functions-wise that the original iPhone brought to the table - music, internet, apps were so mature already in Symbian on Nokia, and Ericsson's platforms as well. It was the totality of the package that set the iPhone apart, the 'experience' so to speak. 

Calibre is simply too involved and 'bloated' as an ebook reader. I just want to launch an ebook and get into it, just like an actual paper book experience, not fiddle with countless options, configurations, plugins etc. This was what Edge offered. I want the functionality back, or as a simple standalone app. 

When Iphone was launched it didn't need a stylus to interact with, it could be controlled using something that everyone has, fingers. things like that, and the Apple's brand name etc made Iphones popular.

If you want Microsoft to make a Win32 standalone Epub reader that is elegant and has a few features but not too much to be bloated, then I'm not sure how Edge browser developers can help with that.

because it wouldn't be related to any browsers.

maybe a side project to work on in free times?

@HotCakeX 

They already have the source code for the classic Edge epub reader, so it's not like they are starting from scratch. Publish it as a standalone app, or bundle it into the new Edge if that is easier.

The immersive reader features are almost entirely ported in the new edge. They would just need to add the capability to open epubs, nothing more. I agree it's not an priority now, but at least it should be added to the top feedback since it has almost 80 likes.

@FedeDiLo 

Spoiler

@FedeDiLo wrote:
The immersive reader features are almost entirely ported in the new edge. They would just need to add the capability to open epubs, nothing more. I agree it's not an priority now, but at least it should be added to the top feedback since it has almost 80 likes.

back at 80 likes again?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/use-calibre-e-book-manager-free-to-read-your-epub...

@Ibukun Momson 

Spoiler

@Ibukun Momson wrote:

@HotCakeX 

They already have the source code for the classic Edge epub reader, so it's not like they are starting from scratch. Publish it as a standalone app, or bundle it into the new Edge if that is easier.

Yeah only if it was that easy