*UPDATED* Dev channel update to 78.0.262.0 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE 2:  Instead of releasing build 256 since it had problems last week, we decided to release a newer build this week.  All the notes for build 256 are still below, but additions from the newer build are also added to the bottom of each list with a NEW tag. 

UPDATE:  We're experiencing some trouble rolling out this week's update.  Since it's already Thursday, it's very likely we aren't going to have an update this week.  I'll update this post again when we're able to successfully release the build.  

Hello insiders, it’s another big week this week!  Today we’re releasing build 78.0.262.0 to the Dev Channel.  Additionally, thanks to the release of the Beta Channel recently, we’re rolling out some big features to the Dev Channel for further testing before releasing them to Beta.  The most significant of those features is improved sync functionality with Edge mobile.  Mobile now supports syncing passwords and form fill data with the desktop version of Edge for both personal accounts as well as work and school accounts. 

Some other major new functionality includes:

• Collections is now available in the Dev Channel!
  • Added a button on the address bar to access favorites, as requested by you: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-August-29/m-p/829765
  • Added support for Windows 10’s native Share functionality.
  • Enabled the built-in abusive ad blocker that was added to Chromium last year (for more information, see https://blog.chromium.org/2018/11/further-protections-from-harmful-ad.html).
  • Added the ability to export Collections to Word.
  • Added a management policy to use two separate site lists for IE mode and standalone IE instead of having them share the same list.
  • Enabled caret browsing in IE mode windows.
  • NEW: To try to prevent scenarios where the browser launches but no webpages will load, it will now attempt to de-elevate itself when it detects that it’s running with administrative privileges. 
  • NEW: Added UI to communicate that data cleared via Clear Browsing Data will also delete that data on other devices signed in with the same account. 
  • NEW: Added a management policy to go to an intranet site for a single word typed into the address bar instead of initiating a search. 

Stability fixes:

• Fixed some issues where the browser is unable to load any webpages.
  • Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser crashes shortly after launching.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge will crash on startup when used in certain languages.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser will crash on Mac when signed in with a work or school account.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix videos don’t play due to a "Missing Component" with error code M7354.
  • Fixed an issue where installing extensions from the Microsoft Edge extension store failed with the error “Package is invalid: CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING”.
  • Fixed a crash when opening an Application Guard window.
  • Fixed an issue where webpages won’t load in an Application Guard window.
  • Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention causes some websites to fail to load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to navigate forward/back using the swipe gesture in situations where navigation isn’t possible leads to broken scrolling.
  • Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes disappears unexpectedly.
  • Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad occasionally stops working.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience doesn’t properly import data on older versions of Windows.
  • Improved the success rate of data importing from other browsers.
  • NEW: Improved reliability of Application Guard startup. 
  • NEW: Improved the success rate of importing data from Chrome. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where extensions were unable to be installed from the Microsoft Edge extension store due to a CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING error. 
  • NEW: Fixed a crash during the first run experience. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where opening an IE mode tab sometimes leads to subsequent IE mode tabs that are opened after the first one crashing upon navigation. 
  • NEW: Fixed a crash when using Collections. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where websites sometimes hang when loading. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after a webpage navigates somewhere. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes fail to load properly. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where attempting to delete multiple favorites or history items sometimes failed. 

Behavior changes: 

• Improved the contrast between active and inactive tabs and windows for better visibility.
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong search provider keyword sometimes appears in the address bar when multiple search providers are installed.
  • Fixed an issue where downloaded files sometimes aren’t able to be deleted from the pop-up downloads UI.
  • Fixed an issue where the link to go to the site permissions Settings page from the Apps page context menu doesn’t work on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where the Global Media Controls button that came from upstream Chromium is present even when there are no tabs with media on them.
  • Fixed an issue where the … menu in some Settings pages (for example, site permissions) opens offscreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the PDF toolbar sometimes doesn’t appear.
  • Changed the Administrator Mode popup to show in fewer scenarios.
  • Fixed an issue where the dialog to restart the browser due to diagnostic data settings changes appears multiple times during a single browsing session.
  • Fixed an issue where the active tab upon startup is sometimes a pinned tab instead of a new tab.
  • Fixed an issue where images sometimes don’t get saved when exporting a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where images weren’t properly rendering in saved Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where first-run options are shown that don’t apply to the current user.
  • Fixed an issue where search engines changed by extensions aren’t properly shown in the address bar dropdown.
  • Fixed an issue where shortcuts to IE mode sites couldn’t be created on the Taskbar.
  • Fixed an issue where the download UI isn’t properly shown in an IE mode tab.
  • Fixed an issue where using multiple IE mode tabs in a single session sometimes leads to all the IE mode tabs after the first one not persisting settings set in the first one.
  • Fixed an issue where the Find on Page search box is too small for certain window sizes.
  • Updated UI in the F12 Dev Tools to properly show Edge’s UA string instead of a generic placeholder.
  • Fixed an issue where some strings in the F12 Dev Tools weren’t localized.
  • Fixed an issue where using the F12 Dev Tools in some languages displays everything in English instead of the selected language.
  • Fixed an issue where profile pictures for work/school account users sometimes are missing.
  • Fixed an issue where adding and deleting profiles sometimes leads to an extra profile being left over.
  • Fixed an issue where the API to determine if Windows is in S mode returns the wrong value.
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where the default search provider doesn’t change when the browser is changed to a language from a region that uses a different default search provider than the current one. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot editor’s crop tool doesn’t work with touch. 
  • NEW: Improved the number of places single sign-on can be used. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where resizing a window with an IE mode tab sometimes doesn’t resize the IE mode tab’s content properly. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where pages are unnecessarily re-translated if the translate popup is dismissed without changing any of the settings. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where the indicator to show that a page has been translated doesn’t appear during any of the subsequent translations if a page is translated multiple times. 
  • NEW: Fixed some inconsistent wording in the popup that appears when an update is available to install. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where feedback was unexpectedly getting submitted when the enter keyboard key is pressed anywhere on the feedback submission dialog. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where dragging products from certain websites into a collection sometimes results in some of the data not getting added to the collection. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where dragging an item into a collection sometimes breaks the ability to select items in that collection. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where reordering multiple items in a collection also reordered items that weren’t intended to be reordered. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where images from a collection sometimes don’t render properly when sharing them via email. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where highlighting text in PDFs sometimes doesn’t work properly. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where favorites icons weren’t appearing on the favorites management page. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where the window color sometimes doesn’t change when it loses focus. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where tab titles are sometimes hard to read on inactive windows. 
  • NEW: Fixed an issue where hovering over the tab close button shows an improperly sized button. 

Removed functionality:

• Disabled via a flag the Global Media Control button that was recently added to Chromium.
  • Removed the prompt to restart Edge to install an update from Application Guard windows.
  • Removed the profile sign-in button on Application Guard windows.
  • Removed the default theme alert in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Removed some non-functional context menu items from Reading View.
  • Temporarily disabled zoom functionality from the … menu when in Reading View.

As always, we appreciate all your feedback and suggestions, and we want to especially thank everybody who tried out the Beta Channel! 

75 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Whenever I Runas Administrator now, it pops up Edge to attempt to runas on instead of Edge Dev. Runas different user works as expected. I see the note about removing admin rights, but I'm wondering if this was the intended outcome of that change.

@MarsMas 

@josh_bodner 

here you can compare the original chart and after i move out of the tab

Before 

chartb.jpg

After

charta.jpg

@josh_bodner  I'm still very disappointed about the AAD sync :

1. We need to have a AD premium subscription, so companies will need to pay additional fees for this but the free Microsoft account have this feature... Some people will use their personal account for the sync of professional data, I want to avoid this...
  2. Sync error messages show the sync has been disengaged by an admin which is totally false and confusing as an admin. Also user will get back to us but their is nothing that we can do, except to pay for sure....

@Jeffrey Allen 

@josh_bodner 

Also looking for this function to share to Outlook email client a URL link. This has been requested for a LONG time in Edge even before the shift to Chromium back-end. How the browser cant just send this link to your default email program is beyond me. Work PC's will not use "Mail". They will use Outlook and this has never been available! Insane. I have to copy /paste every time I want to send a web page link to someone via Outlook email manually.

Would love for the share link to create a new email in Outlook, place the title of the Web Page in the Subject line of the email and obviously place the URL in the body of the message. This kind of action must be something used in the workplace constantly. i cant imagine having to go out and get some 3rd party plugin for such a simple task.

some history here going back to Jan 2018!: 
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/15266189/

@Adam_Gross 

@josh_bodner 

I found that if I add this to my shortcut, it allows me to runas admin correctly now.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory="Profile 2" --do-not-de-elevate

@Richard Blanco Jr. , I agree with opening in Outlook as the businesses aren't going to use the built-in mail app.  Pleas, please add this @josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner  Up to date here on Dev channel, but the Sharing integration with Windows 10 is nowhere to be found?

Is this Canaray only or another controlled release thing? :face_with_rolling_eyes:

@MarsMas this is a known issue that we inherited from Chromium:  

https://crbug.com/996622.  Unfortunately, the fix didn't make it in time for this Dev release, but it should be in the next one.  
Yes, it is another one of those. WAS, Canary only, now, apparently Dev, also. But, some of us are still waiting for it in either.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone
Certainly, it should talk to Outlook, obviously! Should not have to tell anybody to add such a thing. Should be obvious! Facepalm, rolling eyes

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@josh_bodner curious as to why the Global Media Control button was disabled?  Really like this feature.  Turned it back on in "flags" but would rather the option were in "settings."

Didn't seem to do anything, for me.

Cheers,
Drew

I'm on Canary and Global Media Control is there as an option, but under flags. It's also under flags of Chromium too. 

Edge Canary (78.0.268.0):

Capture.JPG

It only shows/appears for me on my browser tool bar when I visit sites like YouTube and such and it works fine for me.... When I leave those sites the "Global Media Control" button disappears off my browser tool bar, like it was never there... lol

Dennis5mile

@josh_bodner 

Please add media autoplay control. It is really annoying sites playing videos that I don't want and eating up my data. And I am inclined to use Brave browser because of this for some sites. And congrats for hard work , but media auto play prevention options is a must for any modern browser.

He's right.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@josh_bodner 

We use Edge with the ADMX templates for managing pop-up settings. Default setting is all pop-ups blocked and a list of websites for allow.

When using a website with pop-ups, for example www.popuptest.com, you get the symbol in the address bar "pop-ups were blocked on this page". After clicking on it, you get a context windows with two option buttons, but its impossible to switch to "always allows pop-ups and redirects from ...". What is possible, is clicking the button "Manage" and add the domain manually.

I guess it's an error because it works with same settings in Chrome.

thank u for redesigining the edge.