Unpleasant Experience with Edge overall (High Resources Utilization)

Brass Contributor

Hi there Guys, 

I've been using Edge Dev build for long time now, mostly since Edge switched to chromium. I'm very broadly to say that Microsoft Edge is one of the well builds, equipped with productivity features and well-integrated into Microsoft services but one topic that Edge team has always been worked on but never get it right. The topic is Edge is a very heavy on resources and not well optimized from newer computers to older computers. 

The problem I'm seeing on my computer and on other computers when using Edge is with high utilization of RAM and CPU. On my computer, I've a two sperate accounts setups my personal and my college account. I mostly use my personal account and only open when working on my college work. On my personal account, I usually have 7 to 9 tabs open and most of the tabs are suspended from (Save Resources feature) so, two to four tabs active. On college side, I mostly have two to five tabs. With that I've three extensions' installed which are iCloud Keychain, LastPass and recently installed Kaspersky Protection. The problem I've experience with Edge is I was watching a YouTube video and another tab I was reading a article about the YouTube video playing in background. When scrolling on article and switching between tabs I was experiencing a very heavy undelightful performance. When monitoring the Task Manager, I saw Edge high peak of CPU utilization near 68+ Edge processes running and 3.1GB + more Memory Usage. Just to clear with everyone on I'm seeing this same or similar story on Stable, Beta and Dev channel of Edge. I'm seeing more of it on stable release where Edge is draining out more of resources utilization which leads to issues like high temps and fan crank to max on laptops and desktops. Please review the screenshot I've attached below for reference. 

I'm running a Dev Edge on a very old or I would say outdated Dell OptiPlex tower running 2nd Gen Intel core i5-2500 with 16GB Memory and 128GB SSD. Before anyone goes to comments saying running very outdated specs and which result to bottle neck the performance. Hear me out guys despite even running on very outdated Intel architecture, the experience of running Windows 10 and most modern apps runs very well and very efficiently. Due to knowledge of being computer repair expert, I've optimized the Windows 10 experience to work well on my computer but Edge is always the one seeing suffer from lost performance and high utilization as specially RAM and CPU.  Another example of this scenario is that my brother who just recently joined a company that is now working from home. The company sent a business computer for usage and required to use Edge by default so, since he started working I'm constantly hearing loud fan noise, heating, battery draining, and memory utilization. By the way he's using stable release of Edge just like everyone else. From this scenario might get an idea on how bad Edge has been optimize and what my brother have to put up with. Another point shocking part of it is testing on Windows 11, Edge is poorly optimize. I'm just seeing lots of stutters, and high utilization. 

I've submitted feedback many times in the past but Edge team is not focusing so much on stability and balance performance. This is why, in recently released Ver 95 on Dev channel, notice a new feature available (Efficiency Mode), this tells me that the team is not more focus toward overall bring balance performance but instead focus on adding more and more features which is leads into confusion UI, lot's of buttons and hidden menus over menus.  

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot.png

0 Replies