Uninstall preinstalled Edge

Iron Contributor

While using and testing on the beta version of Edge, can the preinstalled be uninstalled? 

7 Replies

Windows still doesn't allow uninstalling the built-in Edge browser, not even in the Insider fast ring build 18970.
you can however use this powershell method to somehow uninstall it. i say somehow because the install files will still be in your system and another powershell command can reinstall it.

so open the PowerShell. Type PowerShell in the Search bar.Right-click and select Run as Administrator.
Type the following command and hit Enter
Get-AppxPackage

This will show you a list of all installed app. Look for Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge.
Copy (Ctrl + C ) or write down the PackageFullName.
Type following command with package name in it and press Enter.
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage

Done MS Edge will no longer work.

@HotCakeX Will check it out as it's worth a try.

@QueenNiniSorry, does not work.

I didn't even bother with the preinstalled edge. I use edge canary as my main browser.

@QueenNini  thanks.

I do the same but was trying to look into if the browser could be removed anyhow.

@Navin Kumar  My laptop shut down too much after updates so the current edge might be an issue to delete.

So after 5 months I have a different reply ^^

Microsoft is replacing the new Edge with the old Edge in the next upcoming Windows 10 October update, it's official. (Windows insider blog posts).

so I don't think there is a point for trying to uninstall the built in Edge anymore. because the OS should have a built in browser at all times (in case something happens to 3rd party ones) and now that Edge legacy is gone and new Edge is gonna be in its place by default, it's not taking additional disk space.
(right now if you install Edge stable manually, it doesn't fully replace Edge classic, only replaces the shortcuts, because once you uninstall it, the old Edge comes back)

so I think you can ignore Edge stable, unpin it from taskbar and start menu, and keep using Edge canary channel instead after Windows 10 October update :)