Unable to show or export passwords

Copper Contributor

I am on Edge Version 90.0.818.46.

Using the show password or export passwords buttons brings up the Windows Security popup on which I can enter my password/pin. Whether I enter my pin or password the popup stays open for about 1-2 seconds and then closes without edge doing anything. It is as if the security input crashes. This delay of closing also happens when i click on close or cancel. See attached video.

What i have tried so far:

I have cleared my edge account and cleared the browser, entirely. (as can be seen from the video as well)

I have run a repair on edge.

I have restarted the windows credentials service.

Restarted my pc many times.

What else can I do to fix this issue?

Thank you

7 Replies
Hi For me it works, but I would never export the password? Disconnection probably results from an improperly configured connection to the security server - if you have Edge synchronised with your Microsoft account and you use - not a local account, only the Windows Hello application may not work - it is worth analysing whether you use a VPN?
I only wanted to export the passwords because I wasnt able to show them. I do sometimes use a vpn and always have, but it's generally disconnected.

Yes, Windows Hello PIN is configured and windows is linked by my microsoft account. The pin is what I use to unlock my pc and also always used to show the password on edge.

I just remembered some (maybe) related information. I have recently upgraded the hardware on this machine and had to re-activate windows using the "replaced hardware" option. Since then I have been unable to use the show password feature. (Might be a coincidence though)
Have you tried creating a new Edge profile with the same account on the default settings?

Edge doesnt allow signing in with the same profile twice. But this even happens when there is no account linked whatsoever and I use the default empty profile.

But do you know the password for your Microsoft account? Or just a Pin?

Yes I know both. I was actually able to recover the passwords using a second pc. I logged into my account and let it sync and there it was able to show/export the passwords.

So I assume there is something wrong with my current windows installation and I will re-install Windows.

Oddly enough, I tested Chrome as well, and there the pin works perfectly fine as well.

Do not really worry about it - your security certainly works because Chrome confirms it so it's a pity robots! Check your Microsoft Account to see how this device is marked as valid ,is invalid?
if correct then leave as is the next update it will fix often so it is! Good luck.