SOLVED

Unable to remove profile

Brass Contributor

I had to reinstall Edge as I had an issue but when I started the browser back up it automatically created a profile tied to my domain account / pc profile and I am unable to remove it as it doesn't give the option. 

I checked the GPOs I have enabled and none seem to be the cause of this.

Anyone know how to remove this or stop this happening?

15 Replies
Hi,
Which Edge insider channel?
the newly created profile is a work account, right?

@HotCakeX Issue is on both Dev and Beta.

Yes the profile is a work account. 

@Peter Dennington 

I have had the same problem, haven't been able to delete the auto created work/domain account.

As far as I can tell this is a deliberate design choice by the Edge team, Edge Legacy has always done the same thing if you sign into Windows with a consumer account. AAD SSO is a handy feature for users, but there's no way to justify taking away control from the user over their own account and identity choices. If I had to guess it's driven by a desire to be able to track users the web across by ensuring their Microsoft/AAD account cookies are always present. @Peter Dennington 

@WB2019 The problem is the profile is the local AD account not the AAD account. Also for some reason this is stopping sync being enabled. 

The local on-prem Active directory can't provide sync functionality, you would need some kind of database like SQL server, locally available for that, which is kinda overkill

@HotCakeX I'm trying to find a way to turn of automatic sign in with local AD and use Azure AD instead. 

best response confirmed by Peter Dennington (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Reading through all the Edge group policies available, looks like that local AD profile will be created either way but you can use this policy to control whether you can remove it or not
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#nonremovableprofileenabled

@HotCakeX Thanks, that looks like the best solution for now so will give it a go.

You're welcome :)

@HotCakeX I set this policy to be NonRemovableProfileEnabled = false, but I cannot find anything that will allow me to remove the local AD profile from the browser.

@KeenLogic 

@KeenLogic wrote:

@HotCakeX I set this policy to be NonRemovableProfileEnabled = false, but I cannot find anything that will allow me to remove the local AD profile from the browser.

Do you not have this option?

hgfhgf.png

You can also try going to the User Data directory and delete the folder containing data of that profile

you can find it from here: edge://version/

look for: Profile path

@HotCakeX The option to remove was not available for that profile.

I was able to delete the Default directory. I then copied the data from the Profile 1 directory into a new Default directory. I could then delete the Profile 1 directory. I now have only one profile, and it is the correct one.

That's good to hear!
I think that policy should be deployed before deploying Edge to machines, so prior to any profile being created in the first place with data in it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Peter Dennington (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Reading through all the Edge group policies available, looks like that local AD profile will be created either way but you can use this policy to control whether you can remove it or not
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#nonremovableprofileenabled

View solution in original post