UI

Steel Contributor
  • Consistency on UI. Add Fluent design effects like shadows and highlight effects.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites button on the top bar like in "old" EDGE.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites on one place. One page with 3 tab maybe?
  • Add a option to display the Open/Save as when download like "old" EDGE.
  • Preview page when hovering it in app bar.
  • The Account tab when press on the bar button is too small (on my device, Surface GO), the text is very small and almost not readble.
103 Replies
I also don't like that in fullscreen mode, when you hover at the top of the page, the little circle with the "X" comes down instead of the entire address bar.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/F11-Fullscreen-Improvements-Other-Similar-Improve...
I do like the print UI though, but I think it would be nice to have it in its own resizable and movable window thing, like the old Edge, instead of having it be stuck in the same place covering most of the screen.

@Damix Another thing to add: If the browser is opened and Dark Mode gets toggled, the browser's theme properly changes. However, this isn't true for the Console / Developer Tools (and maybe some other little components I haven't noticed) - it uses the previous theme until you close that sub-menu and open it up once again. It'd be great if this gets fixed as well, even if it is just a minor annoyance...

EDIT:

As of now, Settings and similar pages react the same way as the general UI when toggling Dark Mode - i.e., they properly transit from dark to light and reverse. However, Console and Developer Tools still need to be manually toggled (close them and then re-open them)!

@Damix Sadly I thing we're stuck with the "hey I'm not really Chrome (but I am)" design and UI but with some Windows icons. New Edge actually fits better into the design of Macs than it does on Windows. It is very easy (I have done this myself - I'm a developer) to make a window fit the themes of Win10, Win8x and Win7 so that it looks right on either one. I added it to one of our products in a morning. 

This is a real shame as it looks like New Edge is simply going to offer the look, feel and functionality of Chrome with a few extensions loaded. MS could have done something special but they have taken the easy route. There will be no compelling reason for those that have Chrome installed to swap over - none at all. 

As for removing a whole load of functionality - don't get me started! Perhaps if enough people don't use the new one they'll decide that Egde Classic was always better than New Edge (that's a joke).

@Mace242 

They didn't remove anything. They're adding features, the new Edge is basically a clean slate.

That's just semantics. You no longer have all the handy drawing and annotation tools that were available to you. It no longer works in tablet mode properly (back button leaves the application). You no longer have useful history and favorites fly outs. You can't easily pin pages to the start menu. It responds badly to non-standard (96) dpi settings. We are heading for the first beta version which means that we are stuck with the awful clumsy UI and a Microsoft application that looks more like Windows XP than Windows 10. It's amazing that it looks more in place on Macs than on Windows.

Now tell me things haven't gone away and aren't coming back. They have even resorted to cheating on screen shots on pages like https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-ca/whats-next in order to make the new Edge look more like the old one.

@Mace242 

Well if they don't add those things "back", the new Edge is going to fail hard (again). They need to be better than any other browser out there. I also think it's time to see some Fluent, the current version looks almost exactly like Chrome and I hate that. Even this would be much better than the current version: https://twitter.com/itsMichaelWest/status/1126474855958876160/photo/1

The new Favorite button is a step in the right direction, but still not what we need. In the classic Edge the old panes (Favorite, History, Download, ect.) could be pinned to the side, this new flyout always disappear when click somewhere. We need the option to pin this flyout, but is even more important to have a pinnable flyout also for History and Download!

It would also be good to implement Aero Peek feature again. It can be useful but long ago Google Chrome dropped the support for it. Maybe it's time for a comeback?

@coffee351 

Sorry, don't know your name but, Welcome :smile:

Windows, also, dropped Aero quite a long while back and it is not coming back.  It is, actually, an OS thing not, a browser thing.  We have to enjoy Acrylic and Transparency effects TE On.jpg.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Maybe I used the wrong term.
Aero is not going anywhere - all the effects are still intact. Only transparency is missing but it can be re-enabled with the utility "Aero Glass for Win8+". Nobody removed Aero's code, including transparency. What I'm mentioning is previewing multiple tabs from the taskbar. Like in IE - open a couple of tabs then hover on the icon.

Hi @coffee351, I don't believe that the current plan is to show peeks of every open tab.  Our current version of Microsoft Edge only shows the active tab on each browser window.  If you feel strongly that we need a peek for every open tab, please go ahead and send us a smiley with that feedback.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk @coffee351

Elliot, If I am understanding this correctly, I am going to be bold enough to correct you.  We are talking page "Thumbnails".  I cannot supply a snip as it won't hold for a 'picture'.  Anyway, in Edge, with multiple tabs going in a single browser window... hoovering at each of the tabs, each and every one, will/does show a thumbnail picture of ALL of them; not, just only the Active tab.  Try it, open several sites in 1 Edge window & hoover at each one... 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Annotation 2019-09-10 000035.png

I think you mean this right? @Drew1903 
I hope that thumbnail previews on tabs would return, alongside with that optional show tab previews always button just on the right side of new tab button.

@Elliot Kirk @coffee351

@archtech 

Sorry, I don't know your name, but, yes, that is what I mean... good you managed a 'photo'.  And, good mention of the Show tab previews which, I should have included. I have to admit, some Edge pieces we have come to take for granted as 'standard equipment' that is kind of unnatural to have to be pointing them out specifically & individually to the Edge C Build Team, repeatedly. I cannot recall when we 1st started mentioning Thumbnails, for example & here we are, STILL, mentioning it.  Is it being heard?  Are they working it? Is it coming?  Same questions existing about this and other pieces, too...

Cheers,
Drew (not, at drew 1903)
thVY64FD02.jpg

I have already done that. That's a good idea and it's a shame Chrome dropped it. Thank you.

It is somewhat disappointing that we can no longer annotate web pages - but how exactly are they 'cheating' on the images on the What's Next page? I couldn't find anything that was really inaccurate.

P.S. As both a mac and PC user, I totally agree that newEdge looks more correct in style on macs than on PCs. Maybe they are planning on making it appear slightly different between the OS's? Same layout and such, but the windows one uses more Fluent effects and the Mac one uses more Cocoa (i think thats the current version?) effects and styling on mac.

@thatpitter Can I argue about the Fluent design? There is a possibility to enable rounded corners search window in May 2019 update. Here's the outcome: http://www.thevista.ru/files/images/uploads/2019/06/rounded_corners_in_windows_10.png

So rounded corner may be a future for not only Mac OS, but to Windows as well (bringing back the old window look?). I like the tabs straight though, no need to copy Chrome here. 

But honestly, in Windows 8 straight window corners, specially with the "Aero Lite" theme looked straight out of Windows 95.

Really like these suggestions. I would also like to bring back Edge Classic's reader mode, either as an extension or built into Edge. Having Favorites, Downloads and History open up in a pane with tabs would be great.

Please, also bring back tab previews. Give the user the  option to choose between showing the tab preview on the taskbar, when hovering over tabs, both or none.

@Miguel Ulloa 

Miguel, if you are meaning Reading view, it IS, now, in Edge C; has been for a while, actually.

And, just introduced is Reading list... imported from Edge.

I have to agree, the approach to things (menus, structure, access) in Edge is preferred; somehow more intuitive in how it's organized or done.  

One thing, for me, is having items in ellipsis done as a new full window tab of its own... that seems ridiculous, to me; much prefer the Edge method in that regard.

Cheers,
Drew

@makuc 

Yes, every time someone new comes along the same stuff is mentioned repeated. That would likely be lessened if for a Roadmap.  And, although, I agree, in principle, I have a theory.  I think it's Everest or the moon...never been done before, never been there before, new, unfamiliar challenges. This project is "breaking new ground", certainly, for MS.  (1) Being open source and Chromium-based not HTML and (2) the cooperation & collaboration between surprisingly unexpected partnerships <--- that deserves kudos in & of itself.  There was a time when nobody would have ever thought a day would come of MS anything playing nicely with Apple, Android, Google, Linux & more.  Times sure have changed and for the best/better, I might add.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg