SOLVED

UI and Browser Updates

Brass Contributor

As an Edge user I wasn’t exactly thrilled when you announced that edge was being replaced. But trying out the new Beta, it is looking good so far, very stable and a good base to start from.

My biggest issue is the UI, it’s a bit too much chrome with the rounded tabs and UI elements. I think the square design of Edge currently is a lot cleaner and is more consistent with the overall design of Windows 10.  I think this improvement would make new Edge so much better.

I have a question about updates for the app, which currently done the same way a Chrome. Is there any plans or would it be possible to have Edge update from the Microsoft Store?

As then updates would be coming from one place and update in the background even without the browser being open, which for updates is probably best.

Looking forward to future updates. 

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Joon Chang (Microsoft)
Solution

@matpal, thanks for the feedback!  There’s no current plan to update or install the next version of Edge in the store app given it’s only supported on Windows 10.  However, the current updater will update in the background even without the browser being open.  Hope that answers your question!

Thanks for the reply. That does make sense, I didn't consider the other platforms when thinking about that.

@matpal 

I agree with you. I absolutely hate the Chrome based Edge UI. 

Thanks for the feedback. Would you please tell us how you’d like the UI to improve? I’ll be sure to relay the feedback to right team.

@Joon ChangJust as an example, take a look at these two screenshots I have attached. The new Chromium Edge takes up Much more real estate than the old Edge. It's also not as clean looking. I feel like I'm looking at something from 2003 rather than a piece of software that makes the most efficient use of real estate. This is further shown on the bottom screenshots where in the old Edge, you had access to your history, favorites, downloads, etc with the touch of a button right next to the address bar. With the Chromium version, you can either open a bookmark bar which takes up even more valuable space or use the … menu, swing your mouse down to the favorites menu, then slide over and then down further to access your favorites. 

That's just an example, but everything feels very clunky with lots of wasted space in the Chromium version as compared to the classic version. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. As well as a waste of screen space especially for a tablet, It just looks untidy.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Joon Chang (Microsoft)
Solution

@matpal, thanks for the feedback!  There’s no current plan to update or install the next version of Edge in the store app given it’s only supported on Windows 10.  However, the current updater will update in the background even without the browser being open.  Hope that answers your question!

View solution in original post