Two more best features for Tabs

Brass Contributor

Add two best features of opera browser.

1) See the tabs you’ve opened twice and remove duplicates:

Add a tool that highlights duplicated tabs. In opera when we hover mouse pointer over a tab, those with the same address are highlighted. which allows us to remove redundancy, both simplifying and speeding up our browsing.

Annotation 2020-03-30 193344.jpg

2) The new visual tab-cycler 

Add like Opera "Tab-cycler" feature

Use Ctrl+Tab shortcut and switch between tab thumbnails without lifting your hands from your keyboard.

Annotation 2020-03-30 193249.jpg

7 Replies

@silverlion 

Hi,
I've tried Opera both when they were using their own engine and after they switched to Chromium, but I stopped using it because now it's purchased by a Chinese company and it's no longer the old Opera.
to me it's a bloated browser, they want to win the market by making weird features, like gaming browser or features like this.

duplicate tab detection - do you often open duplicate tabs in your browser? if yes why?
I for one don't, maybe 1 in 100000 times I open a duplicate tab by Mistake which I immediately close myself.
that feature would be useless for me.

CTRL + Tab preview - it's kinda useless too the way I see it.
remember I'm not saying your post is useless, I'm talking about features that Opera developers put into their browser.
it's useless because Opera already has tab previews, so there doesn't need to be 2 kinds of previews.
Edge is getting Tab previews too, soon. and once that happens which will hopefully be like Edge classic, you will be able to see contents of each tab without even lifting your hand from your mouse, clicking on mouse buttons nor touching your keyboard.

@HotCakeX sorry, but I disagree with you.

Both mentioned features are quite useful (I have tested them in latest Opera for a while; I also had sent a feedback to Microsoft 3 weeks ago with these two feature requests). 

Just imagine situation when you open a lot of tabs and you wanna find the specific one... it does not mean that you do not like it is not useful. I work in a huge IT company and majority of my collegues use Vivaldi browser which is really powerful and offer almost all what clasic old Opera had. Anyway many of them like new Edge based on Chromium and they are waiting for QoL improvements (something like this one) and maybe they will change their mind and jump to the Edgium boat :)

I do not wanna be rude, but these two features would be more useful than 60 % of your feature requests lately :) 

Just my 2 cents, I do not want to flame or be trolling.

Actually, Tab Preview is already available through a flag, however it has no images.
If you also want image previews you can enable it through a command line argument.

--enable-features=TabHoverCardImages

(To launch something with command line arguments you can either open it with a terminal or right click it's icon -> properties and add the specific flag after the program's path inside the Target bar, located in the shortcut tab.)

@Deleted 

Spoiler

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX sorry, but I disagree with you.

Both mentioned features are quite useful (I have tested them in latest Opera for a while; I also had sent a feedback to Microsoft 3 weeks ago with these two feature requests). 

Just imagine situation when you open a lot of tabs and you wanna find the specific one... it does not mean that you do not like it is not useful. I work in a huge IT company and majority of my collegues use Vivaldi browser which is really powerful and offer almost all what clasic old Opera had. Anyway many of them like new Edge based on Chromium and they are waiting for QoL improvements (something like this one) and maybe they will change their mind and jump to the Edgium boat :)

I do not wanna be rude, but these two features would be more useful than 60 % of your feature requests lately :) 

Just my 2 cents, I do not want to flame or be trolling.

having a lot of tabs has nothing to with with duplicate tabs that I was talking about.

and Tab preview in Edge with the actual image is/will be made for situations where user has many open tabs and wants to tell which is which.

@HotCakeX OK, then open 50 tabs and then tell me which is duplicated just with mouse hover :)

In Opera you can do that in 5 seconds because on mouse hover duplicated tabs are highlighted.

Same for tabs switching - in Vivaldi you can switch via mouse scroll, ctrl+tab etc and you can see a window with all open tabs and its preview... really useful and time saver.

However if you work only with few tabs then you cannot understand our situation.

I do work with lots of tabs but it doesn't happen often that I open duplicate tabs.

@silverlion If you try to open a link that is already open in a tab, the omnibox already tells it. 

image.png

If that is helpful!