Two adjacent Edge instances end up on top of one another after Relaunch

Steel Contributor

1- Launch two instances of Edge Canary

2- Place them side by side using Windows' Win key + arrows

3- Make a change to a flag in edge://flags

4- Click on Relaunch Now

5- Expected behaviour: both instances come back the way they were (side by side)

6- Result: sometimes the instances come back on top of one another

6 Replies

@NicolSD  It sounds like the Canary build you are testing intermittently ignore Snap, failing to retain either Snap sizing (that is, relaunch as full screen) or Snap positioning (that is, retain half-sizing but overlay one another) upon relaunch.   If I have that right, it is probably an issue you should report to Microsoft Edge Support after you've documented it.

@tomscharbach LOL -- Finding the bugs isn't half the game. Finding how it happens is the real tough part.

OK, I have been able to get the bug to repeat on my Surface Pro 4. It has Edge Canary 76.0.146.0, no extensions installed, no flags changed. The Surface is running Windows 10 Build 18890.

1- Launch two instances of Edge Canary

2- Place them side by side using Win + arrows

3- Open Edge://flags

4- Look for Microsoft Edge theme

5- Set it to Enabled

6- Relaunch

7- The two windows will reopen not quite where they were first placed, are slightly smaller and overlap a bit. Otherwise, the behaviour is ok.

8- Go to the Edge://flags window and set Microsoft Edge theme to Default

9- Relaunch

10- The two windows will be almost perfectly on top of one another. One will be slightly recessed, both vertically and horizontally.

As I said, these steps are repeatable on my Surface Pro 4. I have been able to repeat the same steps five times and it always overlaps the second time I relaunch Edge. However, the bug has proven evasive on my workstation. So far, it hits when it wants.

I have also been able to replicate it on my Win10 Build 18890 Workstation using Edge Dev build 75.0.139.1. The Dev build has no extensions and three flags enabled: HDR mode, Enable native notifications, and Microsoft Edge theme.

@NicolSD  Good work, Nichol.   When you report this in to Microsoft Edge Support, they should be able to replicate it, based on your logs, without much difficulty.

The bug is fixed as of build 76.0.159.0. That bug was reported here and through Mr. Smiley. I did exchange with an MS rep for a while, then we waved goodbye once he felt he had all the information he needed. I never heard back from MS after that.

I am now going to complain again about MS's lack of feedback. I first reported the problem at the end of April. Then I had my exchange with the rep. But ever since that time, I have been testing the same bug with every single build until I discovered today that it's finally fixed.

But the only thing I know for sure is that the problem is fixed for me. Would others go back to the first post and try to replicate the problem so that we may be certain is truly has been fixed for good.

That's another one of my bugs that was fixed today. Thank you, MS for not telling me!