SOLVED

Transfer passwords from Chrome to Edge dev?

Copper Contributor

Basically what the title says - is there a way to transfer those logins for websites I have in Chrome to Edge Dev? Thats the only thing stopping me from using it

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Stefan2142 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stefan2142 

Yes, you can import your login information from Chrome to Microsoft Edge Dev if they are installed together on the same machine.

• Make sure you have logged into your Chrome browser with all the saved information at least once.
  • Click Settings and more ( three dots ) on the top right corner of the browser
    Then click Settings
  • Create a profile for Microsoft Edge Dev (if you haven't already).
  • Under Settings>Profiles> you can click Import browser data
  • You can then click Google Chrome and import the data you want to the profile you setup.

With this setup you will have all your login information from Chrome to your Dev profile, but only for the machine you do these steps on. 

Hope this helps,

Frank

That worked like a charm! Thanks

@Stefan2142 

I'm glad you got that working.

Always happy to help,

Frank

@V-FRROME 

since the first release of Edgium Dev I was trying to get passwords from Chrome, with no luck.

I even exported the CVC file and activating the Edge Insider "Import Passwords" flag, but nothing appears in the passwords section in Edge Insider Settings.

Chromium has the ability to import such file,

Also, Google Chrome no longer appears in "Import browser data".

Furthermore; when I try to import the passwords from Firefox, everything works excpets the passwords with a failure message.

I know Microsoft doesn't support syncing passwords to the drive yet, but at least we need the feature to import them locally by not using a 3rd party extension and NPM hacks

@Joebeurg 

You might need to make sure both Microsoft Edge Dev and Chrome are both

• Updated to the latest's versions 
  • Both signed into the profiles with the data you want to Import/export
  • Make sure the browsers are both running for the whole process

If you still cant import, the easy way to get things going would probably to uninstall previous versions, download and install the newest ones. Then follow the above steps after.

@V-FRROME 

So what I found out, is that Edge Insider doesn't sync from Chrome Dev or Canary channels, (at least on my end I guess), but does so with firefox's all channels, therefore; I could only import my passwords, or basically to have Google Chrome to appear in Edge Insider Settings' "Import browser data" feature, I had to simply install the stable version

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stefan2142 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stefan2142 

Yes, you can import your login information from Chrome to Microsoft Edge Dev if they are installed together on the same machine.

• Make sure you have logged into your Chrome browser with all the saved information at least once.
  • Click Settings and more ( three dots ) on the top right corner of the browser
    Then click Settings
  • Create a profile for Microsoft Edge Dev (if you haven't already).
  • Under Settings>Profiles> you can click Import browser data
  • You can then click Google Chrome and import the data you want to the profile you setup.

With this setup you will have all your login information from Chrome to your Dev profile, but only for the machine you do these steps on. 

Hope this helps,

Frank

View solution in original post