SOLVED

Touchpad scrolling trouble

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone,
I have the Ms Edge Dev with lastest version installed on May 10th. Since some nearest versions which I do not remember, I've faced some troubles with the touchpad. When I used 2 fingers to scroll up and down, the cursor disappeared. Right after I touched the pad again to move the cursor, it showed the menu like i'd right-clicked on that point. In other windows (explorer, word,...) and even Chrome it didn't act like that. So I think that it may be an error. Do anyone got a solution ? Please let me know if I can fix it myself. 

52 Replies

@pkillpeers Thank you for the response...  So my question is, it’s a Microsoft issue - when are they going to resolve it?  It’s their responsibility, it’s a know issue...  Why aren’t they resolving it?

That's the same problem I have with two-finger scrolling. After plugging a Omen Reactor mouse, it disappears. The problem is still here [Microsoft Edge 79.0.309.15] @Neil Hobbs 

@Neil Hobbs: It's an "Edge" issue and they are aware of it. It is showing up on their list of issues as "to be investigated" and it's been been there for 3 months. 

After every new release, I re-report the bug using the "Report Feedback" feature in Edge. I think if everyone does so it will raise the profile of this issue. 

The may have resolved your issue, but the rest of us have tried everything and it does not resolve it. MS has indicated they are currently investigating this bug so even they recognize it as something that users cannot fix. AND, if if was a Touchpad misconfiguration issue that could be resolved by resetting it, then we would be seeing the same behaviour in all apps and other browsers, and we do not. This is an Edge issue that cannot be fixed by the user.
Yes... I have been reporting it multiple times a day... let's see if Microsoft actually do something about it
same here, I'm also having the problem with touchpad scrolling.

@duquocminhquan 我也有同样的问题,我使用的也是惠普笔记本

@duquocminhquan Glad to realize I'm not the only one having this issue. I'm on Edge Dev on an HP Pavilion x360 15". I don't notice it happening anywhere besides Edge Dev. Going to try the previous Synaptics driver solution mentioned below.

How to downgrade?
use this video as a guide, but select "remove driver" instead of update. after removing restart windows, then install the old driver version.
also, do not let windows update the driver again (careful with windows update. search Google "how prevent windows update drivers"
https://youtu.be/yR11GxoN7vk
hey there, is this fixed already? been using brave browser.. How much more time untill its fixed?

@duquocminhquan 

I've also had this issue since I started using Edge Dev. It is NOT a driver or Windows issue. It's purely an Edge-issue.  I do not have this issue with any other browser or app.

AND, I have completely disabled two-finger taps and they do not work in any other app, except for Edge. Even though the two-finger tap has been disabled, it still fires a "alternate menu" click when I do it in Edge. 

Build 80.0.361.9 here and I've got your same feeling: that's a problem of Microsoft Edge, not related to the driver nor to the touchpad @amswitzer 

@DavClem 

For sure it's an Edge-specific issue. It doesn't happen on Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or IE on my Win 10 laptop. Only on Edge Dev. And a lot of Lenovo and HP Laptop users are experiencing this issue. It makes using Edge Dev with a Touchpad almost impossible. I keep having to return to Chrome. 

@duquocminhquan 

I think I found a temporary workaround, although it does involve deactivating two-finger taps on your TouchPad. 

1) For HP Envy laptops, downgrade to device driver 13.3.31.31 dated 2017-08-16 as found on the HP supports and downloads site. Make sure you enter your laptop serial number or let the HP software scan your computer to ensure you're directed to drivers which are correct for your model. 

2) Turn off two finger taps.

Turning off two finger taps means you lose that functionality across all of the apps, but for me, it has resolved the issue with the alternate menu constantly popping-up.

More info:

I've been able to resolve the issue and I thought this information would assist you. I stopped it in Edge Dev by rolling back the Synpatics TouchPad drivers to version 19.3.31.31 (found on the HP Support Website) and disabling two-finger tapping, which normally brings up the alternate menu. Today, Windows Update updated the driver to version 19.5.10.75. When the driver updated, the problem returned to Edge Dev. I was able to fix it again by rolling back the driver through the Properties tab of the Device Manager for the TouchPad. There is clearly some issue in version 19.5.10.75 which is causing this problem, but causing it only in Edge Dev/Beta/Canary but not in any other browser or app.

clipboard_image_0.png

I had the problem earlier, This problem is specific to HP users with synaptics drivers. Rolling back the driver fixed the issue.

@Deleted We need to confirm...  this is a problem that the Microsoft Edge Development team need to resolve...  users shouldn't be rolling back the version of the touchpad driver...

This is an issue for Microsoft to resolve

Yes obviously, it's them to resolve, and they would solve it for sure, but as a tester we should give them all the feedback we could give.... So yes this problem is specific to synaptics touch-pad drivers on HP & Lenovo only on edge insider builds,
As already stated, no one is suggesting that this is a permanent resolution. Providing MS with info highlighting which version of the Synaptics driver is causing a problem and which isn't is the info they need to find a permanent resolution. And with each new version that is released, I refile the same bug reports through the Feedback icon with the same information. Everyone impacted by this bug should do the same thing.