Touch support for virtual keyboard broken in latest Canary build

Steel Contributor

Since the latest Canary build (80.0.318.0), the virtual keyboard doesn't pop up anymore in any text-field displayed by Edge Canary on my Windows 10 v1903 (neither with finger nor pen touch).  

Can anyone confirm this, please?

Thanks

5 Replies

@Neon01 

Thanks for reporting this issue in.

Does this issue still occur in Edge Canary Version 80.0.319.0  for you?

Thanks,

Frank.

@V-FRROME 

Hello Frank, 

thanks for getting back to me. 

Yes, unfortunately the issue is still present in Canary v80.0.319.0, plain tablet with no physical keyboard attached. 

Maybe I should mention that I'm using the legacy touch keyboard (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7\DisableNewKeyboardExperience DWORD: 1) 
We need this in our company for compatibility reasons. 

Would be great if the team could fix this before the next Dev build. 

Thanks

Update: Just received v80.0.320.0 and the issue is still there, keyboard shows up in address bar but not on any input-fields. 

I disabled the legacy keyboard and did a bit of testing with the standard touch keyboard, and it's working on some pages (bing, google), but not all, and doesn't work in settings page or edge://flags

@V-FRROME 

Hi Frank,

just tested this with the latest Google Chrome Canary, and the issue is happening there, too. 

So I'm afraid it's related to Chromium itself and out of MS hands.

I sent a bug report to the Chromium team Issue: 1022295 , but I have few hope they'll fix it. Would be the end for any Chromium-based browser for users who rely on this "old keyboard experience". 

Thanks

@Neon01 @V-FRROME 

I can confirm the issue on both Canary and Dev.

Beta is still good since it's an earlier build. 

@V-FRROME , @Elliot Kirk@josh_bodner 

Anyone of you at the ignite booth during lunch today?

Got a Surface with the bug in my hands and yes, it's in current dev and Canaråy