Top feedback summary for September 4

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello everyone, and welcome to our weekly summary of top feedback for the next version of Microsoft Edge. As we explained in our post a couple of weeks ago, we are making regular updates that summarize and provide status for the top feedback we’re hearing from you. Out of the over 140,000 individual pieces of feedback we’ve received so far, the items on this list are what we’ve seen the most. Remember this list is not exhaustive. There is quite a bit of important feedback not on this list, and we will often address issues and implement ideas that are not listed here.

Because we didn’t have a Dev channel update last week, many of you may have missed last week’s update. As such I want to call attention again to three items which were addressed since our first update:

• In response to feedback about making it easier to get to your favorites, we have added a favorites button in the toolbar which allows quick one-click access to the favorites menu. Check it out in the Dev and Canary channels and let us know what you think!
  • We have added integration with Windows 10 sharing. On Windows 10 look for the Share option in the Settings and more (…) menu. You can share to people, devices, and other apps that support sharing. Please try your favorite share targets and let us know if you spot any issues.
  • We believe that issues with dropdown menus in web pages have been resolved by a fix in the Chromium code base. Please use the Send feedback smiley to let us know if you continue to see issues.

This week we are taking another item off of the list:

• You will no longer see a message that Microsoft Edge is running in administrator mode and needs to be closed and relaunched. If your PC is configured to launch all applications in administrator mode, Microsoft Edge will no longer show the message and you can continue using it in administrator mode. If your system allows apps to run in non-administrator mode, Microsoft Edge will switch to non-administrator mode for you.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

Planned for September (Updated)

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is

2 weeks

Planned for September (Updated)

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

2 weeks

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

2 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

2 weeks

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

2 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

2 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

2 weeks

Planned for October

Enable search in the extensions store

2 weeks

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

2 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

New!

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

New!

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

New!

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

New!

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new Tab Page

2 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the New Tab Page to be configured with other search providers

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

2 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

2 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

2 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

New!

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

2 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

2 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

2 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

2 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

2 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

42 Replies

@Rasshid 

That's really strange, specially when you say it's been like that since the first day.

there must be something wrong at your end. it's been always good for me, version 76, 77 and now 78.

check your extensions.

which Windows 10 version are you using?

Annotation 2019-09-06 121116.png

Same for me
Can you give me some links to those sites having upside down contents? i wanna test that too

it systematically happens with alfresco/share we use in our intranet, but yesterday I saw that happening with youtube/facebook too

Yeah I can't know what you have in your intranet.
but I'm sure i spent lots of times on YouTube yesterday, pretty much regularly everyday, on Facebook too, haven't seen anything upside down or misplaced.
a screenshot would definitely help.

3rd party extension can mess with page contents too.
Does anyone experience D7361 in Netflix!! But overall it's amazing how this browser is developing

@HotCakeX 

Here you go: http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

If I click on another tab then go back to that site, everything reverses.

Yeah it's happening to me too, Version 78.0.268.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

it's a good piece of information for developers to fix it: only happens after switching to other tabs and then back to that website and moving the map a little.

you can also press on the smiley feedback button on the toolbar (top-right) to access the recording option. when you press that, do the same procedure needed to produce the issue completely and then press stop. you can attach custom files and pictures too.

I've sent one just now

Annotation 2019-09-06 195240.png

I can't speak for Dev only Canary, but for me the page loads fine in Edge Canary:

2.png

Cool, glad you got this feature too. I've had it since 8/29 and have used it a bit now, but unlike this feature in the windows feedback hub when you click on something there is "no" reaction on the spot you have clicked on like there is in the windows feedback hub... But is nice to have......

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

I didn't get it just now if you mean that, it's always been there

@HotCakeX Sorry for not giving proper info. I'm on Windows 7, 32-bit. SP1. In the first Win7 32-bit-compatible version of Edge I was giving the feedback too.

And the error only happened on the Welcome Back page. Other sites loads fine for me.

Oh, maybe it's related to Windows 7 then...you know, being a 10 years old OS and all that.
could you grab a copy of Windows 10 and test on that too? i couldn't ever produce the problem on it.

@David Rubino 

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

2 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

2 weeks

Edge currently accounts for 56% of my battery use.  I have one tab open right now, and Task Mgr. shows four different Edge processes running, for a grand total of 325 MB of RAM.  The old Edge used to be very easy on system resources.  Now it's become a hog like Chrome before it.  That is why I dropped Chrome to begin with.

Microsoft need to really step up their game and optimize the Google's own chromium engine for everyone's benefit

These were my stats running one tab of Edge and one tab of Chromium (although I'm not sure if extensions running in the background play any part of the memory usage):

Capture.JPG

They definitely do. you can check the taskmanager of the browser itself for each extensions' footprint
How do you tell which process belongs to which extension?

@LRCROW 

You can see that my extensions are pretty much idle in this screenshot. their CPU usage, RAM usage and network activity is shown

Annotation 2019-09-09 033014.png

Thanks. I was using Windows Task Mgr. Didn't know Edge had one built in.