Top feedback summary for September 4

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello everyone, and welcome to our weekly summary of top feedback for the next version of Microsoft Edge. As we explained in our post a couple of weeks ago, we are making regular updates that summarize and provide status for the top feedback we’re hearing from you. Out of the over 140,000 individual pieces of feedback we’ve received so far, the items on this list are what we’ve seen the most. Remember this list is not exhaustive. There is quite a bit of important feedback not on this list, and we will often address issues and implement ideas that are not listed here.

Because we didn’t have a Dev channel update last week, many of you may have missed last week’s update. As such I want to call attention again to three items which were addressed since our first update:

• In response to feedback about making it easier to get to your favorites, we have added a favorites button in the toolbar which allows quick one-click access to the favorites menu. Check it out in the Dev and Canary channels and let us know what you think!
  • We have added integration with Windows 10 sharing. On Windows 10 look for the Share option in the Settings and more (…) menu. You can share to people, devices, and other apps that support sharing. Please try your favorite share targets and let us know if you spot any issues.
  • We believe that issues with dropdown menus in web pages have been resolved by a fix in the Chromium code base. Please use the Send feedback smiley to let us know if you continue to see issues.

This week we are taking another item off of the list:

• You will no longer see a message that Microsoft Edge is running in administrator mode and needs to be closed and relaunched. If your PC is configured to launch all applications in administrator mode, Microsoft Edge will no longer show the message and you can continue using it in administrator mode. If your system allows apps to run in non-administrator mode, Microsoft Edge will switch to non-administrator mode for you.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

Planned for September (Updated)

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is

2 weeks

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

2 weeks

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

2 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

2 weeks

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

2 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

2 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

2 weeks

Planned for October

Enable search in the extensions store

2 weeks

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

2 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

New!

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

New!

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

New!

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

New!

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new Tab Page

2 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the New Tab Page to be configured with other search providers

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

2 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

2 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

2 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

2 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

New!

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

2 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

2 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

2 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

2 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

2 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

42 Replies

@David Rubino 

"favorites button in the toolbar which allows quick one-click access to the favorites menu" - I hope it will be soon in beta. I think, it's useful improvement!

The work in progress is very nice indeed. By that list it seems that Edge by end of October will be even better than it is already. Even Rome wasn't built in a day (or in six months). 

@David Rubino wrote:
  •  

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the New Tab Page

2 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

@David Rubino 

This is great;

Newsfeed off.jpg

But, don't you think there should be an "OFF" here as well, 

Newsfeed off 2.jpg

Just say'n... 

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

1. don't make the UI small like chrome. please either don't change it or add a scaling option. Don't make permanent changes to the current UI, it's good. google chrome's UI is awful.

2. Don't allow sign-in with Google account, don't add anything google related.

UNLESS Google adds the ability to sign-in with Microsoft account in their chrome browser first.

honestly i don't know why developers are not listening...if you do these then there is No point in using this browser anymore. we could just use Google chrome instead...

Are the folks in the Google company even considering to add anything Microsoft related to their dear chrome browser? nope. not even in hundred years.

@David Rubino 

Can you please make the InPrivate icon blue like how the old edge and internet explorer was? It will make it look less like chrome and more like its own thing. It'll make it more appealing than just as a chrome clone. 

It looks better as when it was blue than when it isn't:

inprivate-edge.pnginprivate-ie.pnginprivate-chromiumedge.png

Not sure why you mentioned me in this, but I do agree 100% with you. If they are going to do anything with Google then there would be no point in removing everything in the chromium coding that points to Google, they might just as well keep the code and just slap a new looking ui to it.....

Dennis5mile
Oh haha sorry i thought i was replying to David Runino!
anyway yeah that's right!
lol, I figured as much, but wanted to make sure you were aware ya missed him. lol

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

Still no mention of middle-click on a favorite keeping the menu open, like Internet Explorer, EdgeHTML Edge and Firefox. Been using it many times a day every day since first use of tabbed browser back in early/mid noughties. For me, unless/until your do that it doesn't matter what else you have Chrome Edge do, even wash the car and make and bring me coffee, if middle-click on a favorite doesn't leave the favorite menus open I will never use this browser (just as I'll never use Goggle Chrome for the same reason).

And I'm going to keep on posting about it unless/until either (a) it arrives, or (b) you tell me you're not going to do it, in which case I'll uninstall Edge and stop visiting this forum (or whatever you call it) and wasting my and your time.

Are you guys gonna give us the option to let the browser warn us before closing multiple tabs? Just like in old Edge? I found that to be pretty helpful in case I accidentally clicked close on the browser.

@David Rubino This is a great list. Thanks for the Favorites button; it's a really nice convenience. I'm pretty excited about a number of the updates you have "planned," especially relating to the New Tab page. Also stoked about how Collections is coming along.

I too would love to see Set Tabs Aside and Ask Cortana in the new Edge. Set Tabs Aside was an awesome one-click way to save a session. And I remember once reading a pdf in Edge that was a scholarly paper on paleontology (I'm not a scientist) and using Ask Cortana to get quick images and descriptions of all kinds of obscure species names and a few technical terms. It really helped me fill in some cognitive gaps and get a better understanding of what I was reading. It was brilliant, and it made Edge unique. Yes, I could have just run Bing searches on all those same words, but Ask Cortana was fast; presented info, not just links; and did not require me to navigate away from my pdf, which made a huge difference.

@David Rubino 

Still waiting for a fix to: Edge Dev auto-signs into sites when that feature is set to "Off". Please ... !

@David Rubino 

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

99% of download files are used only once

Thank you for putting smaller address field/text size on the list!

HotCakeX mentioned in an earlier comment here (s)he does not want that part of the UI to be smaller, though. I think the best option here would be to include "Spactious", "Medium" and "Compact" options in the Appearance settings, similarly to the Mail app. That way everybody would be satisfield :) The "Compact" mode could additionally reduce all padding within context menus, favorites and other areas of the UI.
The padding are not bothering me at all. they make it easier to use Edge UI and also in touch devices that are prevalent these days.
The best thing they can do is to add "options" or "flags" to modify the current default UI.
even the current built-in Edge's UI is way bigger and better than Google Chrome's.

@David Rubino 

I'm not sure where to post this, but the latest update is turning certain things on webpage's upside down and reversed. It mainly does it to pages with maps or graphs.

@David Rubino 

Hey add the options of the Favorites button, show or hide it in toolbar by right clicking and selecting the option for the Share button as well, that would make it a lot easier and faster.

@David Rubino 

Some of my concerns regarding Edge Dev:

1. Since the first day using Edge, the "Welcome back" page look messed. Even until today, I can't really read those update properly.

screenshot_1944.png

2. It is better to have the Account button in the left side of Favourites and Collections, making them look more in line with each other. Even better if we can move these buttons like we move the extensions in the toolbar.

suggestions.jpg

I hope the best for you and your team. Thank you for consistently improving our beloved Edge Insider!