Top feedback summary for October 29

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey everyone, we have a lot to cover today!

First, after some consideration we believe the feedback requesting a home button has been addressed. In part this is because a home button option has always been a part of Chromium and has been available in the insider channels from the start. To enable this option, just open the Settings and more (…) menu, choose Settings, and then choose Appearance from the left pane. Toggle the Show home button option and specify which page you’d like to open. However, we wouldn’t get this feedback if we didn’t have some kind of discoverability issue. Rather than just turn the home button on by default, we think most users who want a home button in the new Microsoft Edge were those accustomed to having one in their existing browser. For these users, we now import the home button setting from other browsers when you install an insider channel. Those who used to have the home button will have the home button in Microsoft Edge by default. Of course we can’t be sure we’re thinking about all possible angles here, so we’d like to hear from you on this topic. We’ve started a discussion thread here in the forum and we’d love to hear from you.

We have heard similar feedback about the need for the ability to sort favorites by name. Like the home button, this option is available, but it may be hard to find. To sort favorites, open the Settings and more (…) menu and choose Favorites then Manage favorites. Use the left pane to find a folder of favorites you’d like to sort. Then right click on any empty space around the list of favorites, on the right side of the screen. You will see an option Sort by name in the menu that appears. We are planning to make this more discoverable, but we’d like to get your ideas first. We’ve posted a discussion thread and invite you to stop by and join the conversation.

Another topic we’d like to discuss with you are some of the download options we’ve seen requested a lot, such as “run”, “open”, “save”, and “save as”. We’ve got some questions for the community as we decide how to approach this feedback. If you’re interested in this topic, please head over to the discussion thread and let us know what you think.

Also, we’ve heard the request for theme support, and specifically to support themes from the Chrome Web Store, just like we support traditional extensions. We’re happy to let you know that we are working on this. It’s not without challenges though, so we don’t know yet when we’ll be able to get it up and running. In the meantime, we’d love to talk to you about how you think about themes and what you use them for. We’ve started a discussion thread on this topic. Stop by and help shape the future of this feature area!

Finally, this week we have two new top requests and two schedule delays:

• With the addition of our PDF inking feature, we’re now seeing more of you request ink support for web pages.
  • We’re seeing an increase in requests for a share button on the toolbar
  • We will be delivering the ability to customize tile names on the new tab page, but we’re running a bit late and this is now planned for November instead of October.
  • We’ve been making some improvements to scrolling and have more on the way. We’re waiting for the next round of these to be fully deployed to the Canary and Dev channels before calling this area “addressed” and writing up a summary of what we’ve done. Look for this in November instead of October as previously planned.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

(Join the discussion)

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it.

8 weeks

Planned for November

(Previously October)

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

10 weeks

Planned for November

(Previously October)

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

10 weeks

Planned for November

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

10 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

10 weeks

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

10 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

10 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

10 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

10 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

New!

Under Review

Add the ability to ink on web pages

New!

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

3 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

5 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

5 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

6 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

8 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

8 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

8 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

10 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

10 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

10 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

10 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

10 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

10 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

10 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

10 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

10 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

10 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

7 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

8 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

10 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

10 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

10 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

10 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

33 Replies
Is making the InPrivate button blue under review as well? Because that needs to happen because it is in internet explorer and the current edge browser.

Feature Request: This feature request is highly needed for the Public Sector for Federal Agencies, which is the ability to digitally sign a pdf in Edge with a Smart Card. If the function was added to digitally sign a PDF with a Smart Card, many federal agencies wouldn't have to depend on the 3rd party application Adobe Reader for this one specific function and could fully leverage Edge for PDFs instead. @David Rubino @josh_bodner 

Yes please add Inking for web pages in addition to the PDF inking and make both of them feature rich just like Edge classic and add OneNote integration.

Also please Keep Microsoft Edge insider Un-goolged. don't integrate any google related services such as sync and whatnot into this browser. you've spent lots of times scrapping all those services so it doesn't make sense to put them back in again. also there is absolutely no need to use google accounts. Microsoft accounts are better also anyone with google account can sign up for a Microsoft account without the need to create a new email. also because of Windows 10, Xbox and many many more useful products and services of Microsoft, people have more accounts in here than on google.

google is literally a data mining company, even if someone doesn't use google sync and use Microsoft sync, the simple fact that google services are inside browser is worrying.

Also give more priority to adding Transparent and Acrylic style to Microsoft Edge insider. it's better than chrome themes and it's unique.

Last thing:

Show browser tabs and address bar when Edge insider is in full screen, just like in Edge classic.

google chrome doesn't have this feature and it's a big disadvantage for it. 

I'm glad scrolling now seems to be an area of attention, I look forward to the improvements. Hopefully they will appear early in November. It's been too long!!

I know I keep harping on about specific scrolling issues to be fixed, but please be sure to fix scrolling inconsistencies where:
1. Make scrollable HTML elements (e.g. <div>s with scrollbars) bounce on reaching scroll limit on multitouch trackpad/touchscreen devices. This already applies to main content area, why not scrollable sub-content?
2. Fix scrollbar arrows. They are currently Windows 7 style, not Windows 10 style.
3. Make scrolling buttery-smooth like Classic Edge. Classic Edge has absolutely the best scrolling experience out of platforms. The scrolling in Chromium Edge still has noticeable jumpiness when compared to Classic Edge on same device. (7th Gen Core i3 2.71Ghz, Intel HD Graphics 620).

Especially w/ regard to the scrollable sub-elements, the scrolling behaviour on multitouch devices is inconsistent with Windows 10 UWP apps, Windows 8 apps, macOS, Classic Edge and even Chromium Edge itself. Please make it perfect!!!

If the scrolling behaviour isn't fixed, Progressive Web Apps (e.g. Spotify Web Player) and any apps that make use of WebView2 will seem poorly done/inconsistent.

I've decided to use the Beta for a week till the next update. It's impossible to use Dev. It freezes all the time opening more than one tab. I've even reinstalled, but it didn't help. The Beta is working fine. 

@David RubinoDavid I've 'reported' several issues in this message board but it seems like the Edge team isn't seeing most of my posts, can you please click on my profile and look at all the 'conversations' I've started. I promise it's worth your time (I actually work in software for a living, unfortunately)

@David Rubino 

I am very happy to see this, you got our voice.
Let's make it perfect!!

Another topic we’d like to discuss with you are some of the download options we’ve seen requested a lot, such as “run”, “open”, “save”, and “save as”. We’ve got some questions for the community as we decide how to approach this feedback. If you’re interested in this topic, please head over to the discussion thread and let us know what you think.

@David Rubino Can someone at the team have a look what's going on for the Instagram help pages.
I've reported this since the beginning, but it's still not working in this release.
Chrome just works for some reason.
What is happening is that the main help menu links result in blank pages, not in a new set of choices.
It's a sliding menu, probably some script is not working. Tried with and without any extensions, same result.

Thanks!

@David Rubino 

I'd like to add another voice to the argument that we should NOT have Google integration added to the new Edge - I daresay many of us using it are doing so because we don't want any Google integration and/or would like to distance ourselves from Google as much as possible :)

@RobWuijster 

@RobWuijster wrote:

@David Rubino Can someone at the team have a look what's going on for the Instagram help pages.
I've reported this since the beginning, but it's still not working in this release.
Chrome just works for some reason.
What is happening is that the main help menu links result in blank pages, not in a new set of choices.
It's a sliding menu, probably some script is not working. Tried with and without any extensions, same result.

Thanks!

Yes, nice catch!

Edge insider Canary Version 80.0.317.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

has this problem too.

Instagram help URL for reference: https://help.instagram.com/

Links circled with purple line are where the bug is happening

Annotation 2019-10-30 130230.png

In Edge insider, when clicking on the arrows in the purple area, they will be opened in a new tab and will show duplicate content.

in Google chrome stable, they will open up normally, which is as you mentioned, a sliding menu that leads to more options.

Hope it gets fixed.

For quite some time, newer builds are causing troubles when we debug any application (angular/react) using Source tab. It takes a lot of time to hit the debug point. Once the debug is hit, F10/F11 starts to lag, switching to new statements take ages. Inline variable previews don't show up (this setting is already enabled). This was not an issue a month back or so. Please look into this, as this makes me switch back to Google Chrome.

@David Rubino why is set aside period is 10 weeks. It was way closer before. We NEED IT!

@Alex Bachinskiy 

@Alex Bachinskiy wrote:

@David Rubino why is set aside period is 10 weeks. It was way closer before. We NEED IT!

The 3rd column on the right shows how long that feature suggestion has been on the list for. it doesn't show how long it takes for that feature to be implemented :)

@David Rubino I'm glad to see that Inking for webpages has been added to under review, this was a really useful feature and i still use the Spartan edge because of it(and the set tabs aside feature, and scrollable tabs), which leads me to my next point. I fail to see any negative things coming out of Scrollable tabs. I hope the reason that they haven't announced it or discussed it yet is because they are very busy, because it allows you to still be able to see what your tabs have on them, and has no limit(as opposed to around 75) to how many you can have open and displayed(i know, no one will have 70 tabs open on one window, but the icons are still too squished to see), and are more easily navigable.

Another thing I want in edge is More advanced tracking protection. Sure there are extensions that block things, but people who really care about their privacy will go to Firefox or Brave, because they have built in tracking protection; they can add on extensions in Chrome; that's not an alternative.

@cjc2112 Also, still waiting for the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+k to duplicate tab, and for an option to refresh all tabs like in classic edge and explorer.

@David Rubino My quick plugs and votes:

1. Gestures: yes. Please. Instead of an inordinate focus on just tablets for touch, Microsoft should absolutely implement touch gestures for touchpadsThis is what Windows 8 should've really hit a home run on besides just tablets, but better late than never. Use the touchpad more, Microsoft!

2. Themes: yeah, let's do it, but I'd be cautious in introducing more variables for bugs, if the themes have too much access (i.e., see lots of Firefox themes). Sent in the relevant thread.

3. Add a right-click context menu to removing typo URLs from the address bar's auto-suggest.

4. Add auto-save for text boxes (browsers should move out of the 1990s and be able to recover text input in a plaintext box).

5. Allow / enable per-tab profiles (i.e., what Firefox Containers does) so we can properly separate cookies between work A vs. work B vs. work C vs. our personal browsing.

6. A minor one: fix the broken scroll behavior of embedded Microsoft Sways in Chromium browsers. This is a Sway bug, technically, but the incompatibility today is between Microsoft Sways and Microsoft Edge Chromium, which is a little ironic.

@RobWuijster when I tried that in today's Canary (318), I got the behavior where it opens a new tab, but on the existing tab, it also performed the sliding behavior correctly.  The most important part though?  If you go into the F12 Dev Tools and emulate Chrome's UA string, we get the correct behavior!  So, Instagram is doing some browser detection and serving up something different in Edge that's not quite working right.  I'll ask our developer outreach team if this is something they're tracking already.  

So you still got the correct sliding behavior with and without emulating Google chrome UA string?

@josh_bodner 

Environment friendly feedback - aka recycled since none of it has been done and is  blocking for a browser change

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub