Top feedback summary for October 22

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hi everyone, here is the latest top feedback update. This week we cover a new issue which was addressed immediately, one item which has been addressed, and a couple of scheduling changes.

Last week we saw a spike in reports about Microsoft Edge crashing when a new tab was opened. This issue was fixed in Chromium and the fix should be in the Canary and Dev channels now. Please let us know if you’re still having an issue with this by choosing the Send feedback smiley or commenting here in this forum post.

This week we’re delivering on a top feature request with the arrival of inking mode for PDF files. We have finished rolling out the feature in it’s initial state. However, we’re already planning on some enhancements to this feature, specifically color customizations and new pen types including a highlighter. Let us know what you think of PDF inking and what additional functionality you’d like to see in the thread below.

Meanwhile, you may notice that the top feedback labeled “Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo” has changed from “Planned for October” to just “Planned”. This reflects a bit of a delay internally. We are spending more time iterating on the interaction model and visual design of the New Tab Page and we had to temporarily reassign resources. Nonetheless, we are aware that many of you are eagerly awaiting this feature and we intend to get back to it as soon as possible. We hope to get it into an Edge80 build. We’ll update the status when our plan for this one becomes more firm.

There is also a small delay in addressing “Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile”. We had expected to deliver this in October, but it now looks like it will be November.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

New!

Addressed

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

9 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

9 weeks

Planned for November

(Previously planned for October)

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

9 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

9 weeks

Planned

(Previously Planned for October)

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

2 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

4 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

4 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

5 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

5 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

7 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

7 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

7 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

7 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

9 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

9 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

9 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

9 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

9 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

7 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

9 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

9 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

9 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

9 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

9 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

51 Replies

@David Rubino 

Please

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

@David Rubino 

Any news on expanding support for browser sync? 

I currently can do it only with my free @hotmail account, but my business accounts are still dead in the water (Business Premium and E3 still do not work). 

Without browser sync the product will have a hard time being adopted.

@Kiven and @David Rubino, yes please, please add the Open/Run option to the new Edge. I know everyone has their own pet feature that is "critical" to that person. For me, this is absolutely it, and I'm pretty sure my reasoning applies to other users. In fact, this feature in IE and Edge were the main reason I often used those browsers over Chrome and Firefox in the past. 

Here's why it matters:

I frequently need to open files or run mini-installers, spanning documents, voice mail attachments, PDF's where I need features in Adobe Reader (over the Edge PDF experience), and many more. Because I also often save files in specific folders for the files I do want to keep for the long haul, I have Edge set to always ask me where to save. But if I just want to open or run a file without saving a copy, this is a hassle. Worse, this also means I have to remember where it's saved to go back and delete this file that I only needed for a few seconds. Cumulatively over a day, this can waste several minutes of time. Please give us the ability to just open or run without requiring the file navigation. 

Inking is a great start, obviously a very much an early version with what we have now. I hope the eraser button will disappear soon since I hope that it detects me using the Surface Pen's eraser when I flip the pen around.

It would also be nice and essentially the team took OneNote inking and features and put those in Edge.

@David Rubino 

PDF Improvements -

• When you add highlighting to pdf inking, can you include a non-transparent highlighter for redacting? This would be awesome!
  • PDFs with many pages are difficult to navigate in edge, chrome has page selection, could this be added?
  • Fillable PDFs which have tables and automatic calculations don't work in any chromium, could this be addressed?

Here is a recorded gif of both of my problems with the jump list and taskbar. It changes the icon to regular edge and even changes the name plus I cannot launch InPrivate browsing just by right clicking. It doesn't matter if I uninstall then reinstall it still happens.edgecanaryicon.gif

What I'd really like to see in the future is some degree of customization for right-click menu, even if it's done via flags.
For example I have absolutely no use for "Print" or "Cast media to device" so these options are nothing but a waste of space in my case.
Also I saw people mention the ability to see what "Default" option for flags really mean, whether it's disabled/enabled and whatnot. Something like "Default (enabled)" would be great.
Absolutely, the defaults in the flags need to be specified whether they are enabled or disabled.
many people asked the same from Google to do it in Chrome but they ignored it, Hope Microsoft won't do the same :)

@lrasmussen Yes! Please, I would love to not need to download Adobe to fill out fillable PDFs.

@Kiven 

What would be nice too, is the addition of a small window "Download"
When we download, a small window opens (as with Internet Explorer) and it allows to close the browser and keep this window open for download

Some different But this is a good idea

@Kiven 

Yes have a popup with Run / Save / Save as (like Edge HTML)
Then a small window with download and speed information (in Mb/s, because the kb/s is useless with the connection speeds of today), etc... As Internet Explorer in fact :smile:

@tistou 

Yeah, I know your mean, let me explain the difference between the two:

Popup window is useful when downloading

"Run / Save / Save as", you can control the download method before downloading

Just use it once or save it to a special place.

@Kiven 

Of course,

What I like about Internet Explorer is that there are all these options and the small download window.
With Edge, we have to click the button, during the download, to open a new page in the browser to get the download information and just the possibility of the path to save (before downloading)

As an Edge/Can user on Windows 10 I really like the pinned tiles on the NTP. Edge/Android does not seem to give me the option to choose what tiles I see there and automatically shows the most visited sites. Will that option become available and will it be synched between W10 and Android installations ?@David Rubino . Great job you people are doing. Finally (reluctantly) ditched my beloved HP Elite X3 for an Android phone and only the growing presence of MS on the platform makes the pain bearable LOL.

As far as most users of all variants of Edge are concerned, I think it is really important that all versions look the same (or very similar) and have the same features wherever possible, whether or not it is a different team within Microsoft that manages the different builds and apps.

@David Rubino 
Hi, just installed Canary 80.0.315.0. I had to uninstall the previous builds because they would crash right after launch. Uninstalling wasn't even enough to get beyond the immediate crash, I had to delete the folder Edge Dev in Appdata as well (don't know why and what was in there)
Now it still keeps crashing but randomly, after several seconds, even when Canary is left idling in the background. 

Edge dev app data and Canary?

@HotCakeX 

I don't know what you mean. I'm just telling what I did to be able to open and keep open for a short moment Canary. I'm writing this comment from the same Canary build on another laptop and it works flawlessly.