Top feedback summary for October 22

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hi everyone, here is the latest top feedback update. This week we cover a new issue which was addressed immediately, one item which has been addressed, and a couple of scheduling changes.

Last week we saw a spike in reports about Microsoft Edge crashing when a new tab was opened. This issue was fixed in Chromium and the fix should be in the Canary and Dev channels now. Please let us know if you’re still having an issue with this by choosing the Send feedback smiley or commenting here in this forum post.

This week we’re delivering on a top feature request with the arrival of inking mode for PDF files. We have finished rolling out the feature in it’s initial state. However, we’re already planning on some enhancements to this feature, specifically color customizations and new pen types including a highlighter. Let us know what you think of PDF inking and what additional functionality you’d like to see in the thread below.

Meanwhile, you may notice that the top feedback labeled “Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo” has changed from “Planned for October” to just “Planned”. This reflects a bit of a delay internally. We are spending more time iterating on the interaction model and visual design of the New Tab Page and we had to temporarily reassign resources. Nonetheless, we are aware that many of you are eagerly awaiting this feature and we intend to get back to it as soon as possible. We hope to get it into an Edge80 build. We’ll update the status when our plan for this one becomes more firm.

There is also a small delay in addressing “Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile”. We had expected to deliver this in October, but it now looks like it will be November.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

New!

Addressed

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

9 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

9 weeks

Planned for November

(Previously planned for October)

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

9 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

9 weeks

Planned

(Previously Planned for October)

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

2 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

4 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

4 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

5 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

5 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

7 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

7 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

7 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

7 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

9 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

9 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

9 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

9 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

9 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

9 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

7 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

9 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

9 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

9 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

9 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

9 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

51 Replies

@David Rubino

There is a bug involving the InPrivate window where it is round again when it's supposed to be square.

bug.png

And my jump list isn't working properly. I used to have the ability to right click on the edge canary button on my taskbar and select InPrivate. The ability to open a non inprivate window is available, but not inprivate. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling and delete my profile directory under AppData, but it doesn't fix it at all.

jump-list.png

So those are two bugs i've noticed in recent builds that need to be fixed. Other than that, good work on the browser.

@David Rubino Not received my update as of yet UK 7.10 pm.

It's incredible you didn't addressed first the highlighter.

However, not including history and tabs synchronization is also quite impressive.

And a flag to do square tabs.

My lovely Microsoft. Reading the slow progress every week is pretty sad.

@Deleted Ok must be a bit more patient. lol.

I am updated now.

No to google integration, keep Edge Un-googled.

Please Give Sync options higher priority, specifically the History and Extension syncing that are still unavailable and don't release the stable version of Edge insider until they are implemented along with the majority of the requested features from the list above, just take your time, we want a perfect browser, not a rushed one.

Also add Acrylic/Transparent UI to the new Edge insider, it would make it more beautiful and less dull looking.

Thank you!

@HotCakeX wrote:

No to google integration, keep Edge Un-googled.

@HotCakeX 

Totally agree!

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

Middle-clicking on a favourite in a favourite menu still closes the menu, unlike in EdgeHTML Edge, IE and Firefox, making opening several favourites tedious with having to reopen and re-navigate the favourites menus for each one. And it's still not even in the list.

So I will still not consider using Chrome Edge for any actual browsing. If it's impossible 'because Chromium', please just say so.

@capital2040 have you tried un-pinning the Edge shortcut from the Task Bar and then re-pinning it to see if that fixes it?  

Josh Bodner

Community Manager II - Microsoft Edge

@David Rubino I'm loving the Edge Dev experience and it's a pleasure to be a part of watching the growth & evolution of the browser over the past few months. Way better than chrome. Uses far less system resources than any other chromium browser when streaming video & multi-tasking. Keep up the great work!

@David Rubino, my "Send feedback" button is not working. Also, the collections button is gone since the last update before from today.

@David Rubino I've been experiencing the two-finger scroll triggering the right click menu issue since atleast August. The issue is present on all builds (Dev, Canary, Beta) and makes Edge almost unusable on my machine. No other programs experience this issue, and this issue has been on this list since August with no update or even being moved out of 'under review'. The issue has also survived through many windows insider builds(fast ring) so its pretty much certain that it is an Edge issue, and I hope it is addressed soon, Thank you.

@eduardobragaxz 

@eduardobragaxz wrote:

@David Rubino, my "Send feedback" button is not working. Also, the collections button is gone since the last update before from today.

Try enabling the collections flag

edge://flags/

Experimental Collections feature

Enable content collection pane and background entity extraction to support web content collection and organization scenarios. Warning: This is an early experimental feature. Content will not be synced and may be lost. – Mac, Windows

#edge-collections

I tried that too and it didn't work and the funny thing is it changes the icon from canary to the other edge icon. Is that happening with anyone else?

@HotCakeX, thanks! It worked. But all that I saved is gone. So that's fun...

@David Rubino There should be an option to have collections hide itself when the browser goes into full screen more, ie when watching a video.

I'm fallen in love with Chromium Edge and the Agile development has been so, so nice. The great work being made towards integrating Work or School accounts has also been a huge boon to adoption. I've made it a mission to convert people every day.

Can I ask for a HUGE favour? One of the killer features within Opera was cycling through tabs based on most recently used. Oftentimes, we end up with tens of tabs open within multiple browser windows, across multiple browser profiles. Using shortcuts to navigate the tabs of a window is a huge timesaver and I've now realized how much I've taken Opera's approach to tab switching for granted.

http://sharing.caseydandrea.com/spfrve6

It would be amazing if you could introduce the ability/toggle to cycle through tabs in the order that you visited them. This way you are only a couple CTRL-TAB taps away from your most active tabs. Otherwise, I find myself having to jump around manually. This is especially problematic (read: needless mouse mileage) when your tabs become so narrow their titles are severely truncated, i.e. not readable.

The feedback button is working again after closing and opening the browser, which is a good thing, because I can report that Edge is still crashing.

@David Rubino The ink/handwriting input panel is still not presented when tapping in web page text boxes or the browser's address bar with my Surface Pen.  I don't see this issue on the list, but I desperately hope somebody is working on it.  It only furthers the perception that Microsoft isn't serious about touch-based devices.

@David Rubino 

Edge is getting closer to public release. Scrolling fixes have been waiting on the feedback list for 9 weeks!! Please fix the longstanding inconsistent scrolling behaviour where:

1. Laptop multi-touch touchpad 2-finger scrolling/fling not as smooth in Chromium Edge as in Classic Edge.
  2.  Multi-touch touchpad scrolling animations (e.g. rubber band/bounce) apply to main content area but not scrollable HTML elements. This is inconsistent with Windows 10, macOS, Classic Edge and Chromium Edge itself (main content area has this behaviour but not sub-content areas) and will also present as inconsistency in apps where WebView2 is used. It also makes Progressive Web Apps like Spotify act inconsistently with other modern apps.
  3. Multi-touch zooming animations (e.g. feedback bounce) don't occur when zooming too far in/out. Again, inconsistent with Windows 10, macOS, Classic Edge and also inconsistent with other Microsoft apps where "content is king" such as Photos, Mail and the modern Print dialog
  4. Shock/horror: Scrolling arrows in Chromium Edge are the ones from Windows 7!! Not using the native arrows/icons from the OS. Notepad (e.g.) and almost every other app uses the correct ones from the host OS.

really really want to use Chromium Edge as my main browser but until these issues are fixed I'll likely keep using Classic Edge as long as possible because the high level of polish makes my Windows laptop feel like a premium experience, regardless if other browsers are getting faster and gaining other improvements.

Pictures:

image.png

clipboard_image_1.png

image.png