Top feedback summary for October 1

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey everyone, I’m back with the latest top feedback summary. This week we’d like to highlight a few things which have been addressed:

The New Tab Page (we call it the “NTP” within the team) has received a significant update, and among the changes are two which address some of our top feedback items. First, the NTP now supports dark theme. If you are in dark theme (available in Settings under Appearance) you will see that the search box, top sites, and feed use darker colors. Additionally we’ve enabled greater customization of NTP content that allows you to turn off the feed if you wish. Just click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the NTP and choose Custom page layout. If you choose the Content visible on scroll option, the feed will only show if you scroll down on the NTP. If you choose the Content off option, your feed will be disabled entirely.

Another top request was for ClickOnce functionality, which among other things allows one-click installation of  certain applications on Windows. This is chiefly a feature in work or school environments, so it is controlled by the new ClickOnceEnabled group policy. However, if you’d like to enable it on your device directly, you can browse to edge://flags and search for “ClickOnce” to find the ClickOnce Support flag. For more information on ClickOnce and the similar DirectInvoke feature, see our documentation at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/edge-learn-more-co-di.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

Addressed

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

Addressed

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

6 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

6 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

6 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

6 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

6 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

6 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

1 week

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

1 week

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

2 week

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

2 week

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

4 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

4 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

4 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

4 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

6 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

6 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

6 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

6 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

6 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

4 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

6 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

6 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

6 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

6 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

6 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

92 Replies

@David Rubino 

Well here's a new piece of feedback for you I haven't made or seen before. I've belatedly realised there is an issue that means I won't ever be using Edge as my desktop browser .... and it's not anything to do with anything you desktop Chromium Edge developers are doing or not doing. It's what your colleagues developing Android Edge have done.

There are, of course, compelling reasons to use the same 'brand' browser on both laptop and phone: the syncing of favorites, passwords, history, open tabs, throwing pages from the one to the other etc. I'd go as far as saying using the same browser on phone and desktop/laptop is a necessity nowadays, certainly for me. But that means anything blocking a user from using the Android version of a browser also blocks them from using the desktop version (and vice versa).

Your Android Edge colleagues, unfortunately, have made a design choice to have a bar of controls at the bottom of the screen. I HATE controls at the bottom of the screen. I simply won't use Apps that have bottom controls; I'll always choose a competitor app that doesn't instead. So, short of the Microsoft Android Edge team completely changing direction and losing the bottom controls, or adding an option to move those controls to the top - and I see no sign they are considering either - I will never even think of using Android Edge on my phone. And THAT means I won't ever use desktop Edge either (unless you make Chromium Edge able to sync favorites, passwords, history, open tabs et al with Android Firefox or Google Chrome, which seems unlikely).

Wish I'd looked at Android Edge more closely sooner, and so not wasted time on desktop Chromium Edge. Anyway, at least for this potential desktop Chromium Edge user, your efforts have been completely sabotaged by the Android Edge team.

Still requesting "show Icon only" for the folders in the favorites bar....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile It's true there isn't a button to do that for folders, but for now you can select to rename it and just erase the name.

Awesome tip, thank you!

I like to be able to set all bookmarks at once to icon only instead of right-clicking on each of them one by one and selecting that option.

Spoiler

@DavidGB wrote:

@David Rubino 

Well here's a new piece of feedback for you I haven't made or seen before. I've belatedly realised there is an issue that means I won't ever be using Edge as my desktop browser .... and it's not anything to do with anything you desktop Chromium Edge developers are doing or not doing. It's what your colleagues developing Android Edge have done.

There are, of course, compelling reasons to use the same 'brand' browser on both laptop and phone: the syncing of favorites, passwords, history, open tabs, throwing pages from the one to the other etc. I'd go as far as saying using the same browser on phone and desktop/laptop is a necessity nowadays, certainly for me. But that means anything blocking a user from using the Android version of a browser also blocks them from using the desktop version (and vice versa).

Your Android Edge colleagues, unfortunately, have made a design choice to have a bar of controls at the bottom of the screen. I HATE controls at the bottom of the screen. I simply won't use Apps that have bottom controls; I'll always choose a competitor app that doesn't instead. So, short of the Microsoft Android Edge team completely changing direction and losing the bottom controls, or adding an option to move those controls to the top - and I see no sign they are considering either - I will never even think of using Android Edge on my phone. And THAT means I won't ever use desktop Edge either (unless you make Chromium Edge able to sync favorites, passwords, history, open tabs et al with Android Firefox or Google Chrome, which seems unlikely).

Wish I'd looked at Android Edge more closely sooner, and so not wasted time on desktop Chromium Edge. Anyway, at least for this potential desktop Chromium Edge user, your efforts have been completely sabotaged by the Android Edge team.

You didn't have to waste your time (as you said) if you had looked at this article first:

https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022536833-Enabling-sync-on-Android

it shows all the possibilities and limitations of the new Edge insider and Android version.

Nothing is blocking anyone from using sync between Edge desktop and Android version.

currently sync between Classic Edge and Android Edge are working at full capacity.
once the desktop version of the new Edge insider gets the full sync, the Android version will get that too. no problem on that area, things are moving forward normally.

once that is done too, there is no need to use other companies like Google or Firefox to hand over users data to them.

Well, that may be all well and good to hide the name, however... When you have 10 to 12 folders on the fav bar it is nice to know what is in them without having to open each one to find what you are looking for since there is NO tool tip when you hover over them....

Dennis5mile

@pmbAustin That's a good idea and Microsoft should make this an option. For me, I was never able to navigate Firefox's recently used tabs and its easier to go back and forth where I can see it. Some people like it, but its most likely that the current setup will be default.

@Deleted Yes, and I liked how the address bar was completely black when you clicked on it. I wish that they would either make the rest of the top bar completely black, or the address bar itself completely black. None of this gray stuff.

@HotCakeX 

Well either I didn't write clearly, or you just skimmed and didn't read properly.

I made no complaint about the syncing between Android Edge and either EdgeHTML or Chromium Edge. With Chromium Edge a lot of the syncing is there and I assume the rest will appear in due course.

My issue is that these days one needs to use the same browser on both phone and laptop/desktop for the syncing, so Android Firefox and desktop Firefox, or Android Google Chrome and desktop Google Chrome, or Android Edge and (when all syncing is working) desktop Chromium Edge. Which means that it is not enough for the desktop or phone version to be good; they BOTH have to be good.

In my case, Android Edge has a design feature that makes it completely unacceptable to me - bottom controls. I will not use an app with bottom controls. Period. So I will not use Android Edge.

And because of the need for syncing between phone and desktop browser, that means I won't be using desktop Edge, even when all the syncing is working, even if they fix everything else I want in desktop Chromium  Edge (like middle-clicking on favorites leaving the menu open). Phone Edge is unacceptable to me because of the bottom controls, so it won't be on my phone for desktop Edge to sync with. It's not a problem with the syncing; it's a fundamental problem I have with Android Edge design means I won't use it, so whether it syncs or not is neither here nor there.

So unless desktop Chromium Edge gains the ability to sync with a browser I will use on my phone, currently Android Firefox or Android Chrome, then desktop Chromium Edge is out of contention as my desktop browser ... and it seems highly unlikely that desktop Chromium Edge will ever sync with Firefox or Google Chrome.

Actually I'm now worrying about Firefox. Currently my default browser on Phone and laptop is Firefox, which is currently fine. But the Android Firefox 'Preview', which is supposedly a development version of the next evolution of the Android Firefox browser, has also adopted bottom controls. Which I will not use. So if the Android Firefox does eventually change to that, I will no longer use it, which will also then mean - for syncing sake - I'll have to give up desktop Firefox too.

But anyway, I wasn't posting here requesting anything, or to engage in debate with other users. I was posting just because if I was on the desktop Chromium Edge team I'd like to know reasons why people didn't use the browser I was creating, or gave up testing it. So I posted to tell them I won't be using desktop Chromium Edge any more or testing it any more, not because of anything it has or hasn't, does or doesn't do; but simply because Android Edge is of a design (bottom controls) I won't use, and browser syncing between phone and desktop/laptop is so important that anything putting someone like me off the phone version means they then automatically drop the desktop version too. So, unless the desktop Chromium Edge dev team go round to the Android Edge team and make them include an option to move the bottom controls to the top, there's actually nothing the desktop Chromium Edge guys can do to get me to use desktop Edge. They can make desktop Edge perfect, and add functions so it'll put out the trash and make and bring me coffee, I still won't use it unless Android Edge loses (or gets an option to lose) the  bottom controls.

So, the desktop Edge dev team probably know this, but just in case they haven't thought about it I'm letting them know that some people (like me) will end up not using the desktop browser simply because there is something that those people really don't like abut the design of the Android Edge browser, however good they think the desktop browser is.

your first post seemed like you're angry because of the sync but now you cleared that it's just the controls at the bottom that you don't like which btw is valid request to let users choose between bottom and top controls (a more familiar experience). but until they do it it's alright don't use it, no hard feelings mate

@DavidGB 

Have you tried suggesting your idea to the people who are designing the android app?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Edge-AMA/bd-p/MicrosoftEdgeAMA

Good luck finding a solution!

When I came in this morning and fired up Canary 292 I was pleasantly surprised to see on the NTP a 'page content' option - choice between Office365 and MS News!

Outstanding!

But I miss my photos :(. Totally personal preference, but it would have been doubly cool if the Office365 selection just replaced the news section, so it could be controlled via scroll, always show, etc. 

But I'll take this - very useful!

@DavidGB If you are worried about the bottom bar, download the Bing browser. It's a simplified browser that supports voice input, text input, and image (both images and qr codes)input. It doesn't have favorites, but if the most important thing to you not having a bottom bar, this is your best option in the case Firefox stops. I will also try to get in contact with the Android edge developers and see if this can be accommodated.

@David Rubino 

A big feature that is missing is the ability to generate a strong password in the password field.

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

@David Rubino  I appreciate the new dark mode, but can we please get even darker shades of grey and some actual black in dark mode? I know a few loud voices immediately scream for grey whenever dark mode is discussed, but the shades that are a bit too light can look brownish or muddy. Please consider that many users prefer/need darker or higher contrast. I think reddit.com dark mode is a beautiful example of a darker grey with black that looks nicer overall IMO. Alternatively, maybe add a high-contrast dark option?

@dustytravel But why? I don't understand how turning it blue, makes anything better. 

@basil3143 Why is squared better?

@KoshyG 

@KoshyG wrote:

@basil3143 Why is squared better?

I was wondering the same..one thing is for sure though, it's Not a bug that now they are a little rounded.

@David Rubino 

I'd like to share my feedback in regards to Collections. I feel like the team is trying to create something where a need doesn't exist. It feels like a clumsy and unnecessarily complicated visual take on Favourites. I am not sure I understand what the difference between the two are? Comparatively, the Reading List from Classic Edge was a perfect companion to Favourites, as it provided a very simple, convenient list of articles or pages that you don't consider Favourite-worthy, but something you find important or relevant at the time. As a software engineer, I found the Reading List to be an invaluable tool for quickly keeping references to perhaps a Microsoft Document, a StackOverflow question, and the like. Certainly things that don't warrant being kept as a Favourite, and could easily be tossed when finished. I feel like the Reading List was a huge boost to productivity. I hope that your team decides to migrate the Reading List to New Edge.