Top feedback summary for October 1

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey everyone, I’m back with the latest top feedback summary. This week we’d like to highlight a few things which have been addressed:

The New Tab Page (we call it the “NTP” within the team) has received a significant update, and among the changes are two which address some of our top feedback items. First, the NTP now supports dark theme. If you are in dark theme (available in Settings under Appearance) you will see that the search box, top sites, and feed use darker colors. Additionally we’ve enabled greater customization of NTP content that allows you to turn off the feed if you wish. Just click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the NTP and choose Custom page layout. If you choose the Content visible on scroll option, the feed will only show if you scroll down on the NTP. If you choose the Content off option, your feed will be disabled entirely.

Another top request was for ClickOnce functionality, which among other things allows one-click installation of  certain applications on Windows. This is chiefly a feature in work or school environments, so it is controlled by the new ClickOnceEnabled group policy. However, if you’d like to enable it on your device directly, you can browse to edge://flags and search for “ClickOnce” to find the ClickOnce Support flag. For more information on ClickOnce and the similar DirectInvoke feature, see our documentation at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/edge-learn-more-co-di.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

Addressed

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

Addressed

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

6 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

6 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

6 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

6 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

6 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

6 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

1 week

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

1 week

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

2 week

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

2 week

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

4 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

4 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

4 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

4 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

6 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

6 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

6 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

6 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

6 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

6 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

6 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

4 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

6 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

6 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

6 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

6 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

6 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

92 Replies

@David Rubino 

Could you guys please make the InPrivate button blue and square like how it was for old edge? It will make the UI more unique compared to chrome. It's just one small thing that'll make the browser much better.

improvedimprivate.png

I'm not seeing the dark NTP in 79.0.287.2 Dev

@David Rubino 

Good to know the new tab page and redesigned settings page are finally out of A/B testing in Canary channel!

• 1. Say no to Google integration (let Google first integrate Microsoft account sign-in to their Chrome browser)

• 2. improve Collections: add offline functionality (mark a collection to be available for offline usage and viewing), add all open tabs to a collection, add more export options, make collections work with installed office programs and not just online versions. with these changes it can easily replace Reading List AND Set Aside Tabs.

• 3. Printing from the "Reading View" mode or "Immersive Reader" mode is STILL bugged after months.

• 4. let Edge insider browser open downloaded files automatically with the default programs set in Windows settings. so for example when a user downloads a PDF file, let them open that file with the default PDF viewer in system like Adobe acrobat or Foxit reader. Currently what is happening is this: the user downloads the PDF file, the finished download will show up at the bottom left corner of the browser, after clicking on the PDF it will be opened in the browser, Not with the default PDF viewer app. the user needs to go to the download location and from there double click on the file and open it with the default PDF viewer. this problem seems to be revolving mostly around PDF files. when I download an .mp3 audio file or .mkv, .mp4 video files and click on them, they will open in Groove music app and default video player app and Not in Edge browser (even though Edge can play all those files).

@David Rubino 

"Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge"

You should take up this bug/issue in priority. Please address this issue as soon as possible. This is only reason I have never used Google Chrome browser and make me use original Edge/Firefox every now and then instead of Edge Dev Browser.

Please make the tabs and In Private indicator not rounded like in original Edge. Thanks.

@David Rubino 

Could we get the "scrollable" tabs back? In the old Edge, tabs would retain a clickable size after a certain amount are open and become a scrollable bar instead, making them much easier to click on and differentiate between.

In the old Internet Explorer which I still use a lot, it provides one the option to obtain the actual URL of that item. Current Edge and this developer version does not do that. Yes, you can "inspect" something, but to get the actual URL is almost impossible.

IE makes it simple, where you right click on the item (could be a graphic), then select properties and most of the time the URL to that specific item can be obtained. Then one can save the URL and later display the item without having to go through a particular website to find it again..

Thanks so much!

hsteiger@comcast.net

@David Rubino 

@David Rubino 

Still waiting for the MUST HAVE feature that allows you to have the option of Ctrl-Tab switching tabs in "Most Recently Used" order... to be consistent with Windows Alt-Tab behavior, and the behavior of Ctrl-Tab in most other tabbed user interfaces, like Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, Notepad++, and consistent with the options in Internet Explorer and FireFox.

This should be top priority. Lack of this feature is pretty much the only reason I continued to use IE for as long as I did, and the main reason I use FireFox now (because Chrome doesn't have this feature and it makes using multiple tabs really awkward and annoying).

@Bdsrev 

@Bdsrev wrote:
I'm not seeing the dark NTP in 79.0.287.2 Dev

Hi, it's still a controlled feature roll out in Dev channel :\

@hsteiger 

@hsteiger wrote:

In the old Internet Explorer which I still use a lot, it provides one the option to obtain the actual URL of that item. Current Edge and this developer version does not do that. Yes, you can "inspect" something, but to get the actual URL is almost impossible.

IE makes it simple, where you right click on the item (could be a graphic), then select properties and most of the time the URL to that specific item can be obtained. Then one can save the URL and later display the item without having to go through a particular website to find it again..

Hi there,

in Edge insider, when you right click on anything on any website, you have the "copy link" and in case of image "copy image link" options.

do those options fail to get the URL of the content? I never came across a situation like that so I'd like to know what would that be. thanks

@David Rubino New tab page looks great in dark theme, but still flashes white when opened. Way more disturbing than white search box. Are there any plans to address that?

This bugs me a lot. The white flash when loading the new tab page, especially during the night, is very unpleasant.

@David Rubino  Thank you for the option to turn off feed in the New Tab Page! Appreciate how you and your team look into feedback.

@David Rubino Windows 10 Share feature should be moved from the Settings section to the top of the browser.

Microsoft stands to lose access to potential data and revenue if Users, not knowing where to look for Windows 10 Share, opt instead to download an extension like AddtoAny from the Chrome Webstore.

Finally, the Share feature needs to be opened up and customizable, again like AddtoAny, instead of limited to Windows 10 apps alone.

@David Rubino Please bring back the "Add notes" feature from the old edge to allow us to write on top of pages and save it to OneNote. This was one of the best features in the old Edge.

@David Rubino The address bar is now a light gray when you are typing text (in dark mode). I liked the pure black address bar better.

"Could we get the "scrollable" tabs back?"

Yesss! This would be awesome!

@jchow 

YES! And have a drop down to see a picture of the tabs and so its easier to scroll on a touchscreen device.

One of my friends wondered if the drop down was live so, potentially, you could watch a movie in the drop down while doing something else.

@cjc2112 

@cjc2112 wrote:

@David Rubino The address bar is now a light gray when you are typing text (in dark mode). I liked the pure black address bar better.

Me too...it could be a start to make the reset of the browser UI pitch black too instead of the current gray 

@David Rubino Still no private mode in taskbar menu in Windows 8.1 (I know it's ok in Windows 10). Is it OS dependent? It was even in IE11 with Windows 7