Top feedback summary for November 4

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, and a special welcome to our Beta channel audience who received Microsoft Edge version 79 today!

This is our weekly update on the top feedback we are hearing from you via the Send feedback smiley. All the feedback you send us drives action on the team, including individual bug reports, quick feedback on the latest features, and ideas for the future. If you provide your email when you give feedback, you’ll usually get an email response to close the loop when the feedback has been addressed. However, for the topics we hear about the most often from the most people, we wanted to do something more, so back in August we started these weekly top feedback summaries. Here we tell you the status and plan for these top topics, and in some cases host discussions here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum to explore more with you.

Last week we started discussions about four topics (click to see and participate in the thread for each):

This week we had one bug with YouTube which generated a lot of feedback. The YouTube.com site wasn’t rendering properly and appeared extremely magnified. This bug is fixed in the latest Dev and Canary channel builds (and was never introduced in Beta). Let us know if you see any more issues here.

Also this week we have some new feedback to cover about sync capabilities. We’ve seen an increase in requests for both browsing history and extensions to sync between different devices. We’re pleased to say these are already planned for the near future. We expect them to arrive in the Dev and Canary channels in January at the latest.

Finally, we’re happy to announce the arrival of the OneNote Web Clipper in the extensions store, which was the top requested extension.

The full updated list is below . . . and this week we’re introducing an archive of previously addressed topics which you can find if you scroll all the way to the bottom.

Thanks, and see you next week!

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

New!

Addressed

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Planned for November

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

11 weeks

Planned for November

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

11 weeks

Planned for November

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

11 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

11 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

New!

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

New!

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

11 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

11 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

11 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

11 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

1 week

Under Review

Add the ability to ink on web pages

1 week

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

6 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

6 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

7 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

9 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

9 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

9 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

11 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

11 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

11 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

11 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

8 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

9 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

11 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

11 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

11 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

11 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

5 weeks

September 24, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

74 Replies

@Chrizzly your points are very valid...  @David Rubino Can you have your team address the various functionality items which we keep flagging and the Development team are clearly ignoring...  Edge Beta has massive issues and it’s not a good user experience at the moment...  Thank you 

@David Rubino I just want to thank the team for the OneNote extension. I had written that up several times and given pretty detailed descriptions of the design requirements. While I heard nothing back ever, the extension functions pretty much as I envisioned. This has made another great leap for both products towards acceptance in my circles of influence.

Again thank you for helping my push for OneNote acceptance by my team.

(@HotCakeX While I appreciate you being satisfied with the Chrome's SendtoOneNote extension, I was not. It was buggy and non-repeatable. I also don't understand why "Keep Edge Separate from Chrome" was a slogan. Chrome had been easier to use, faster, more versatile, more capable and more universally accepted than IE, Edge or Bing and Safari, Opera, Ghosterly, DuckDuckGo, Silk and dozens more. I think it is good to learn from others and grow, especially using common infrastructure. One the other comments, I think I see where you are coming from.)

May the future efforts be just as productive. Thank you.

@Mace242 

@Mace242 wrote:

@HotCakeX 

"seems to be pretty simple thing to add"

You're forgetting that MS are actually doing very little to Edge that is a big change from Chromium. Compare to other chromium browsers like Vivaldi and you'll see what could be done.

The Vivaldi browser that you are talking about: Initial release date: January 27, 2015

Microsoft Edge insider (Chromium): Initial release date: On April 8, 2019

so give Microsoft that much time (4 years) and then compare the two browsers ;)

within only few months that's been passed, I would say MSFT is doing a great job (Not perfect) so far.

@PhilipE3 

@PhilipE3 wrote:

@David Rubino I just want to thank the team for the OneNote extension. I had written that up several times and given pretty detailed descriptions of the design requirements. While I heard nothing back ever, the extension functions pretty much as I envisioned. This has made another great leap for both products towards acceptance in my circles of influence.

Again thank you for helping my push for OneNote acceptance by my team.

(@HotCakeX While I appreciate you being satisfied with the Chrome's SendtoOneNote extension, I was not. It was buggy and non-repeatable. I also don't understand why "Keep Edge Separate from Chrome" was a slogan. Chrome had been easier to use, faster, more versatile, more capable and more universally accepted than IE, Edge or Bing and Safari, Opera, Ghosterly, DuckDuckGo, Silk and dozens more. I think it is good to learn from others and grow, especially using common infrastructure. One the other comments, I think I see where you are coming from.)

May the future efforts be just as productive. Thank you.

Hi there,

oh I wasn't satisfied with that extension either, I was saying that it's not such a big news that OnteNote extension came from Google chrome extension store to Microsoft extension store.

I prefer a built in option, the web page inking that is in the list of suggested features above.

yes Chrome is fast, easy, versatile and all that but that's only the Chromium open-source engine that Microsoft already embraced it. what I'm saying is that to keep Edge free from Google services.

Chromium is open source and made by other people but integrating Google services (as a private company) into Microsoft browser is not something that is welcomed by many people.

The start menu tile looks so bad! Additionally, the only two possible sizes are small and medium.

This should really be one of your priorities.

@Deleted 

Yeah, Edge insider's icon looks so bad compared to Firefox nightly's

Google chrome's icon looks awful as well, very small in the middle with so much space around it

Annotation 2019-11-06 233013.png

@David RubinoCan you let us know if the Development team and the Projects Managers have a specified and agreed time frame for resolving all of these issues?

If Microsoft is planning to released the finished product in January, you need to get organised and work to specified time frames and milestones... 

@David Rubino +1 for tab set aside!

@David Rubino I have been upgraded to Version 79.0.309.14 (Official build) beta (64-bit) this evening and the Context/Right-click menu is still appearing EVERYTIME/ALL THE TIME when two-finger scrolling...  see the following screenshot...

clipboard_image_0.png

When are you going to fix this????

You have an issue, it has been reported many times and your Developers aren't resolving the issue...

@David Rubino Can I please ask when the Developers will fix this crap...  I'm on the latest version and this is the 'Welcome Back!' page in a tab;

clipboard_image_0.png

This is with the browser set at 100% zoom...  Please sort out the quality of the builds...  this issue was reported to you at least 9 weeks ago and you are ignoring the users like myself who are kind enough to provide you with feedback...  what is the point if you don't investigate and listen?

Please sort this rubbish out this week...

@David Rubino  Following the upgrade to version 79...  the sync isn't working and it won't fix...  please see the following screenshot;

clipboard_image_0.png

Please fix this...

@Neil Hobbs 

@Neil Hobbs wrote:

@David Rubino Can I please ask when the Developers will fix this crap...  I'm on the latest version and this is the 'Welcome Back!' page in a tab;

clipboard_image_0.png

This is with the browser set at 100% zoom...  Please sort out the quality of the builds...  this issue was reported to you at least 9 weeks ago and you are ignoring the users like myself who are kind enough to provide you with feedback...  what is the point if you don't investigate and listen?

Please sort this rubbish out this week...

Hi,

I think it's a font settings problem

here are the default font settings in Edge insider canary, try setting yours like this (if they are different)

Annotation 2019-11-07 135148.png

hi @Neil Hobbs 

@Neil Hobbs wrote:

@David Rubino  Following the upgrade to version 79...  the sync isn't working and it won't fix...  please see the following screenshot;

clipboard_image_0.png

Please fix this...

What happens when you press on Fix it?

@HotCakeX I had a similar problem and when I hit fix it, sync failed and changes to my favorites were disregarded on that browser on that device. The problem has spread from Can to Dev.

@HotCakeX this zooming in happens when I perform a two-finger scroll down or up...  I will have a look at the setting again this evening, when I get home...

I forgot to mention that last night when I posted - nothing happens. I'm not sure if it tries to do anything, as there is no noticable activity... I will have another look this evening when I get back home
Cool, keep us posted

@David Rubino 

Can we have Read Aloud for PDFs, please?

@HotCakeXthis isn't a problem with my Font settings, this is an issue with how Edge uses the current touchpad driver on HP laptops...  Microsoft @David Rubino has acknowledged this in his list of issues, but he won't give a time frame for fixing it... 

+1 For Ink on Pages / Add Notes feature... as per existing Edge.
This is an awesome feature for research activities.