Top feedback summary for November 4

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, and a special welcome to our Beta channel audience who received Microsoft Edge version 79 today!

This is our weekly update on the top feedback we are hearing from you via the Send feedback smiley. All the feedback you send us drives action on the team, including individual bug reports, quick feedback on the latest features, and ideas for the future. If you provide your email when you give feedback, you’ll usually get an email response to close the loop when the feedback has been addressed. However, for the topics we hear about the most often from the most people, we wanted to do something more, so back in August we started these weekly top feedback summaries. Here we tell you the status and plan for these top topics, and in some cases host discussions here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum to explore more with you.

Last week we started discussions about four topics (click to see and participate in the thread for each):

This week we had one bug with YouTube which generated a lot of feedback. The YouTube.com site wasn’t rendering properly and appeared extremely magnified. This bug is fixed in the latest Dev and Canary channel builds (and was never introduced in Beta). Let us know if you see any more issues here.

Also this week we have some new feedback to cover about sync capabilities. We’ve seen an increase in requests for both browsing history and extensions to sync between different devices. We’re pleased to say these are already planned for the near future. We expect them to arrive in the Dev and Canary channels in January at the latest.

Finally, we’re happy to announce the arrival of the OneNote Web Clipper in the extensions store, which was the top requested extension.

The full updated list is below . . . and this week we’re introducing an archive of previously addressed topics which you can find if you scroll all the way to the bottom.

Thanks, and see you next week!

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

New!

Addressed

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Planned for November

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

11 weeks

Planned for November

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

11 weeks

Planned for November

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

11 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

11 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

New!

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

New!

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

11 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

11 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

11 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

11 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

1 week

Under Review

Add the ability to ink on web pages

1 week

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

6 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

6 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

7 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

9 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

9 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

9 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

11 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

11 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

11 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

11 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

11 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

8 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

9 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

11 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

11 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

11 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

11 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

5 weeks

September 24, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

74 Replies

@David Rubino 

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

New!

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

New!

Very excited to see syncing finally get a timeline: I was absolutely uneasy that this feature either 1) might not launch in the first stable release or 2) not have enough testing and launch with a lot of broken corner cases.

Browser history syncing especially, could take a lot of testing between all the operating systems Edge supports: iOS to Android to MacOS to Windows 10 to Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Unrelated: will Edge get a new name, too? I guess we'll always call them "Old Edge with the single color E" vs "Chromium Edge with the swirly and colorful E". And will 1809 + 1903 + 1909 automatically get the new Edge or only 20H1 users? Maybe we'll get more answers this week at Ignite!

I have some feedback regarding the new edge beta, if this is the wrong place, i apologize. I love the new edge, but there are a few things i feel it is missing. *mostly because of my OCD. I very much miss the edge tabs that are perfectly square and go all the way to the top of the browser. To me this looks very clean and better organized. Would it be very difficult to give us the option to have that tab style turned on or customized? Also i actually found the preview pane of Edge VERY useful. As a network engineer, i shock a lot of people by telling them that edge is my favourite browser when asked what i use. It is very neat and clean looking (i may be the ONLY person in the world that cares about this) and it also uses almost no system resources compared to other browsers. If i could have the option to use the old edge tab style, but with the new format options (focused, inspirational, etc) and everything else the same, this browser would be perfect. Also, is it just me or does the button for quick changing the page layout on a new tab seem weirdly placed? Put the quick change button on on the browser bar with the rest of the buttons!  @David Rubino 

Please add to the list Collections syncing

And keep Microsoft Edge Google-free

I don't see why adding OneNote clipper extension to the Microsoft extension store is a big deal. it's been available in Chrome store forever and there are far more important extensions missing in Microsoft extension store.

there needs to be a way so that extension developers can submit new extensions for Edge insider into your store.

The sync functionality is very fragile and unstable right now. it's good when there is only 1 browser syncing but the problems start happening after there is more than 1 browser or device syncing to the same device. 

there are Numerous posts of many people having this problem. some are seeing duplicate bookmarks, others are seeing missing data (bookmarks, passwords etc), some others are not seeing changes applied to one browser being applied to others.

Yes Favorites, passwords, address, open tabs Syncs are enabled but It's gonna take at least 1 year to make them reliable.

Hi David,

I am not sure if the ability exists but is there a way to access favourites\bookmarks while in fullscreen mode ? At the moment i am having to exit fullscreen mode to select another bookmark. 

I was hoping a menu to bookmarks would be available by write clicking or hovering to the top of the screen brings down the URL bar and menu like original Edge browser.

Many Thanks

Daniel

@David Rubino Lots to love in this new Edge! One thing I use Edge for nearly everyday is highlighting/annotating PDFs for school. I've noticed that the new Edge now has tools for annotating PDFs with a pen, but the feature set is very limited:

• Only blue pen, one thickness
  • No highlighting (which I wish could be "freehand" not related to the text like in current Edge)
  • Surface Pen eraser doesn't seem to be working
  • When I draw, it looks unsmooth, then smooths out and moves just slightly after I draw it.

If the current feature set launches in January, I will be unable to continue using Edge when the next semester begins. Can we expect feature parity with the old Edge for PDF annotations in time for public launch?

Thanks for all the hard work!

@brianmenzie 

This is something I agree with and would really like to see from the new Edge. As a student studying a degree, the inking features on the old edge were great for annotating webpages and scientific articles when researching for my studies, and I'll be sorry to see all these features scrapped come January. 

I'd love to see a colour selector, thickness selector, erasing using a Surface Pen eraser tip, a ruler tool, highlighters, pencils - on both PDFs and webpages

@David Rubino In the latest beta, the ability to change the picture locally to one of the built-in clip art images (I originally chose the blue robot) is no longer available for online-synced accounts. Instead, when managing the profile, there is a "change picture" link which just redirects to the URL to edit your online account's profile pic that's used pretty much everywhere in the O365 ecosystem. Subjectively, I think this is worse. You should be able to choose to use your online picture or one of the local images (or any arbitrary image file for that matter) so you can easily distinguish between your personal and work accounts at a glance. Chrome supports this. I'm sure I'm not the only person who uses the same professional photo for both my personal and work accounts.

Everything I've said is a matter of preference, but there is an actual defect as well. If you are going to force us to only be able to use our online profile pic, it should at least be consistent. If you look below, you can see that the Edge profile linked to my personal MS account, for which I selected the blue robot clip art image as the profile pic in an earlier Beta build, still shows that clip art in the task bar, but not in the browser.

9O81FvanF1.png

Can the stable release please include making the InPrivate button blue? It's not just what the current edge and internet explorer does, but it overall looks better and makes it look different from google chrome. Because the current InPrivate window looks too much like google chrome. A blue square/oval has long been associated with InPrivate browsing and makes it much easier to distinguish it from chrome. It also makes the browser more unique because chrome doesn't use a color to indicate that you're in InPrivate browsing. I have also read reports from other users that dark mode looks too similar to InPrivate browsing and making the InPrivate icon blue would give it more of an indication that you're in an InPrivate session. The browser needs to be unique and since the topic of bringing back features from is talked about a lot, making the InPrivate button blue would make the browser more unique and not feel like someone is using chrome clone.

@David Rubino 

The Browser crashed after the update to v79 and can't be recovered. I did have 3 chrome addons installed. The browser opens to blank error pages. Unable to get to the settings page. Also, Uninstall disappeared in programs and features after the last Beta update.

I need to be able to troubleshoot and fix this issue before deploying any further pilots.

<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-11-04T20:45:26.153981100Z" />
<EventRecordID>11237</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>US</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>msedge.exe</Data>
<Data>79.0.309.11</Data>
<Data>5dbe20a3</Data>
<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.17763.802</Data>
<Data>86aa4cf5</Data>
<Data>c06d007e</Data>
<Data>0000000000039129</Data>
<Data>10b8</Data>
<Data>01d59350c8fefd10</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application\msedge.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
<Data>a4db8ab7-b35e-4379-880c-743903968f0f</Data>

"Uninstall disappeared in programs and features after the last Beta update."
wow that was one of the side effects of the leaked stable version of Edge..it's weird that it found its way in Beta channel..

@David RubinoI actually use the search box on the New tab page and the white line between the box and the suggestions is ugly and makes Edge look lazy, please ask them to fix thatwhitelineedge.png

@David Rubino Hello team Microsoft Edge. Today I faulty as below screenshot, I use Windows 7. How to fix it. pleasescreenshot_1572923235.png

I would suggest a system to lock the browser to not accidentally zoom the notebook touchpad, sometimes the page takes time to load or I slide my fingers and the browser zooms the page, this is not a browser defect, but it would be fine coming the 100% crash to stop this buzz, by the way the defect of Youtube was already resolved last week on Edge Canary.
Which Edge insider channel/version are you using?

@David Rubino 

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

6 weeks

I agree, it still is a bit slow on first access.

And this is me filling more feedback in hopes it will get fixed sooner rather than later :)

Haha, I am also a bit OCD and I also hate the curvy tabs ! @daleshire 

@David Rubino 

IMO, the browser will have a hard time to be adopted until it syncs with work or school accounts.

I have a Microsoft O365 Business and an Enterprise E3 accounts, neither work. 

This:
"Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window"
seems to be pretty simple thing to add, still it's been on the list for 1.5 months

@ikjadoonI still feel like edge won't be ready in time. There are a lot of flags that need to be introduced and missing features that are still "under review".