Top feedback summary for November 19

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders and welcome to the latest top feedback summary. There is no new or addressed top feedback to highlight this week, but we have started threads on three different topics. Read on for details.

First, we wanted to share what information we have about the longstanding bug with two-finger scrolling on a touchpad. We are working on it and plan to make sure it gets fixed. We think the issue is related to device drivers for Synaptics touchpads used on certain devices. You can read more and share your thoughts in this thread.

Also, there are two top requests for new features that we’ve started discussion threads for:

• One top feature request is the ability to sign in with a Google account instead of a Microsoft account. While we’re not planning on implementing this right now, we will consider it and would like to talk to you about how we can best meet your sign-in needs. See the discussion thread for more.
  • We’ve also heard positive feedback about the “Ask Cortana” feature in the current Microsoft Edge, and a request that we bring this to the new one as well. We are starting an investigation of this idea now, and we’d like to talk to you to understand more about what you’d like to see in contextual search functionality. Check out the discussion thread and let us know what you think.

Scheduling note: There will be no top feedback summary next week because of the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States. We should be back on or around December 3rd.

Here’s the full updated list of feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for November

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

13 weeks

Planned for November

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

13 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

13 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

2 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

2 weeks

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

13 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

13 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

13 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

11 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

2 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

13 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

13 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

In Discussion

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

Under Review

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

1 week

Under Review

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

3 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

8 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

8 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

9 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

9 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

11 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

11 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

13 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

13 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

13 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

13 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

13 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

11 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

13 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

13 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

13 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

13 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

13 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

5 weeks

September 24, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

20 Replies

@David Rubino Is synchronization of search engines also on the roadmap? Custom searches are super handy. Personally I have about ten of them (m for google maps, imdb for imdb.com, yt for youtube, ddg for duck duck go, etc). They're fantastic for productivity, but they don't seem to carry over to new Edge installs. 

I would also like to see them more prominently featured. They're still buried pretty deep in the settings tree. 

@David Rubino 

Still not on the list: allowing (via a setting if necessary) middle-clicking on a favourite in a favourites menu to open the favourite but leave the menu open to select additional favourites. Like in Internet Explorer, Classic Edge and Firefox. I will not use a browser that does not have this, so the only time I open Edge Dev and Canary is once after each update to see if this has been implemented or not - so far 'not', and still no reply as to why this still is not on the list.

@David Rubino 

What about a master password for the password manager? I can't see it on the list anymore.

@DavidGB 

It has been asked before and I miss this feature, it does work for deleting a fav than another so they can add it.

@David Rubino 

"The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome"

Please don't make this change, as someone who uses a touchscreen the larger UI is nicer, and as someone who has a visual impairment I find the smaller UI of Chrome a less accessible than the larger Edge UI.  I presume that you also couldn't do this if you plan to eventually add the fluent design system in full.

Thanks for building a great product :D

@David Rubino, will there be a version for the Surface Hub?  This might help sell it to users as well as be a replacement since eventually the old Edge will be going away.

@David Rubino 
Please provide options to add Download, and History button to the toolbar as well like the current version of Microsoft Edge.

Yes it is a very helpful and must have feature for privacy and security.

@David Rubino,

Another item I would like to see on the list is a "Refresh All" item added to the context menu associated with a tab.  This option appeared in the original Edge browser and would refresh all tabs within the browser frame.

I am a software developer using a ticketing system and the "Refresh All" option allows me to see updates to my assigned/created tickets.  This is especially helpful when the tickets are awaiting feedback or actions from other team members.

@GaryZIts also helpful when you open a lot of tabs on a website, but then have to sign in or enter your zip code and all the other tabs are already loaded and don't show the change. Easy to hit refresh all, not easy to reload every tab individually.

Hi @David Rubino 

i noticed a minor mistake in your post,

where it says

Annotation 2019-11-23 164127.png

the Learn more link points to this URL:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Two-finger-scrolling-is-getting-detected-as-a-cli...

which is not about themes but about "Two finger scrolling"

@casimir . 

@casimir . wrote:

@David Rubino 

What about a master password for the password manager? I can't see it on the list anymore.

Hi,

the password manager protects passwords with Windows PIN/Password (whichever is available but PIN takes priority).

@AaronMcHale 

@AaronMcHale wrote:

@David Rubino 

"The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome"

Please don't make this change, as someone who uses a touchscreen the larger UI is nicer, and as someone who has a visual impairment I find the smaller UI of Chrome a less accessible than the larger Edge UI.  I presume that you also couldn't do this if you plan to eventually add the fluent design system in full.

Thanks for building a great product :D

I second that, I use a 22 inches screen for PC and 15 inches on laptop, neither have touch support but I still enjoy the big UI elements.

I don't like Google chrome's small UI either but I've seen some people asking for an option to scale down (or up) the UI and I think that's really great idea.

@GaryZ I agree as I miss this option.

tabs grouping doesn't working in latest canary version, is it planned feature downgrade or a bug?

Hi @royamicus185 

please try enabling this flag

Annotation 2019-11-26 141150.png

@David Rubino Thanks David! Having the feedback status update time lime is a very good idea to reduce feedback redundancy. 

Add Nano defender and Dark reader extensions to your extension store. Also, share useful extensions from the extensions page. Like the dark reader. Finally, don't host extensions in your store that don't support all languages and don't get updates for a long time. [Bing Translate]

Finally, some services you will provide with the browser. (Bing, Bing translator, microsoft account setup page, etc.) Improve simpler interface, performance, accessibility.

Hello, when you delete a password registration in the password manager, it go automatically on top of the page and you need to scroll back to get back where you were, it's annoying. Possible to fix that ?