Top Feedback Summary for March 31

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Good day, Insiders! It’s the end of March and we have some things we’re marking Addressed today. Additionally, we provided an update this morning on our release schedule so be sure to check out the blog here for those details.

We are really excited to announce that the new tab page items we started rolling out earlier this month are now available to all in our Dev and Canary channels. This means we are marking these all as Addressed today:

• Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page
  • Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers
  • Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

If you have specific feedback around these items, please head over to the forum thread with the update from the team and give us your thoughts!

While we do still have the cookies and custom background photos feedback items listed as Planned for March, the team has been actively communicating the status of this. These are currently available for users in Canary which meets our definition of Planned for… . We will provide updates for these two once we have more information.

Here’s this week’s updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

(Learn more)

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

32 weeks

Addressed

(Learn more)

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

32 weeks

Addressed

(Learn more)

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

32 weeks

Planned for March

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

20 weeks

Planned for March

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

32 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

20 weeks

Planned

Some users lose their favorites on update to Microsoft Edge

1 week

Planned

Allow more top sites on the New Tab Page

4 weeks

Planned

Highlighter tool for PDF files

7 weeks

Planned

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

7 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Edge cannot find devices to cast media

9 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

10 weeks

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

10 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

22 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

32 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

32 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

32 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

27 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

26 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

30 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

32 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

32 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

32 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

32 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

32 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

32 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

32 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Update does not always work reliably

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated.

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum.

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Spoiler

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

19 weeks

Mar 19. 2020

Some users are unable to access any web page

3 weeks

Mar 11, 2020

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

13 weeks

Mar 4, 2020

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

17 weeks

Feb 26, 2020

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

26 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

24 weeks

Feb 21, 2020

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

31 Replies

Hello@MissyQ 

Thanks for the updates!

could you please teach me how to configure these?

1. Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page
  2. Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers
  3. Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

I can't figure out how to do any of them.

for example about number 1 and 2 there is no option for them

gfdgfd.png

there is no option to hide the search bar in NTP.

there is no option to set the search bar in NTP to use another search engine. it only shifts the focus from NTP search bar to the main search bar, doesn't actually do the search query in NTP the search bar.

How do we hide the Search bar in the NTP? Anyone with the steps to do the same?

@HotCakeX you can set #2 with your option displayed above - it will follow your own search settings (no Bing). 

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX you can set #2 with your option displayed above - it will follow your own search settings (no Bing). 

That's Not how it's supposed to be.

in the post it says:

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

Edge doesn't have this feature right now. it just shifts the focus from NTP search bar to the omnibox.

I want omnibox or address bar to keep its search engine, for example Google, and the search bar on NTP have a different search engine like Duckduck go, Yahoo, Wikipedia etc.

so there should be 2 search engines on the new tab page, 1 search engine for address bar and the other for the search bar in the middle of NTP. they shouldn't be the same. that's so wrong.

@HotCakeX @MissyQ 

so to further clarify what went wrong and what I was expecting to happen based on what the post says:

"Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers"

Add the same Search providers from this list:

fdsfs.png

To This list:

fdfsdf.png

fdfd.png

I hope you change the status back to planned for like April. Thank you!

@MissyQ 

Yes I confirm, no option for this too

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

@MissyQ 

I already have the "Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo" even if I have the dev build.

Annotazione 2020-04-01 040357.pngAnnotazione 2020-04-01 040419.png

these are only for canary channel. I also have the features same as you in the latest dev channel.

@HereItis 

@HereItis wrote:
these are only for canary channel. I also have the features same as you in the latest dev channel.

Well I'm on Canary and I have none of the 3 features that were "addressed" in the list.

@HotCakeX I can confirm - I am on the latest Dev channel and I have all features mentioned above. Anyway in Canary (second PC) not available. It is a controlled feature :(

Oh okay so this post needs to be edited so that it only mentions Dev and not Canary

@HotCakeX even not available in dev channel! I think it's an A/B testing

But they said ".....are now available to ALL in our Dev and Canary channels...."
how about a screen shot of all them features you have, and how you turn them on or change them......

Dennis5mile

Hello. After the latest version, 83.0.467.0 (dev), the CPU usage when using the browser. As of writing this, the CPU usage is around 23% and the memory usage around 700 MB. This makes the PC really slow, especially when surfing on the browser. Before this update, the CPU usage was less than 2 %. I hope you can fix this, as it becomes unbearable.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

@MissyQ 

OK, here's a confirmation of what the problem is as above...

You can only change the New Tab Page search box if you change the default URL Box search engine. 
In other words, if your default URL Box search engine is Bing, you cannot change the search engine in the New Tab Page search box.

Example scenario: One may want to keep their URL Box search engine as Bing, the recommended default, because it integrates well with the Windows operating system and the Edge Browser.
However, they may want the New Tab Page search box to be something different. 

Having a different search engine on the New Tab Page would mean that one would have easier access to another, knowing that the 2nd one on the New Tab Page.

Possible solutions and improvements:
First of all, correct the original feature so that the New Tab Page can have it's search engine change, regardless of what the default search engine is in the URL Box.
A further improvement, would be to change search engines in the URL Box, as "on the fly". This would mean that, regardless of the default search engine in the URL Box, one would just need to click onto the icon of search engine they want.
A final improvement, would be to also change the New Tab Page search box as "on the fly". 

Things to consider:
By allowing the "on the fly" search option in the URL Box, this might make using multiple search engines convenient enough, so that if the search box was removed on the New Tab Page, it would not be amiss, and the extra space could be appreciated elsewhere. 
Less reliance on the New Tab Page as a search engine, could mean that a alternative search box could be provided. One suggestion would be to have a icon list of the users search engines and a click of one of them could automatically open up that said search engine in the URL Box, ready for you to type your query and hit enter to begin the search.
A further option to consider, would be to allow grouping of search engines from one URL. Say for instance, Bing, it has options to search images, videos, maps et al. Even though a regular search from Bing would provide links to search from these options, it would be easier to be able to search Bing Images straightaway if that was what I was after. Having this option would mean that you could save more space seeing as each icon would be taking up too much room, especially with some sites, like Facebook which has a multitude of options. The problem with this is that most search engines would keep the same Favicon and for convenience, this may slow things down. 

That's it for now, if I go any further, then I would be discussing a option to have a Microsoft startpage which would be fully customizable, but that should do for another thread much further down the line. 

Hope this helps clarify some things and I hope some of the other ideas give you a little chin wag to have. 

Peace out!

Still no options with Canary .472
Not tested Dev version

I also have the same problem. 

Just had some issues with the "option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close" feature @MissyQ Please see the following thread for more info. Thanks.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/automatic-login-lost/m-p/1273533

Feedback provided.